Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Strange error message with regex test... Post 302075172 by fgilain on Wednesday 31st of May 2006 10:21:42 AM
Old 05-31-2006
sorry, it matches if space is the first character of the string...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ed strange error message

When I start ed as regular user, following message is displayed: $ed ERROR: tempnam failed: Permission denied $ I think, following error produced in vi when search results from previous error: No previous regular expression Setting TMPDIR variable cause no effect. As root all works... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: frenki
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a strange message when executing the sort command

Dear all, when I issue the command: gunzip -c file.gz |sort the command is executed normally and correctly but a message keeps appearing everytime I run the command: the message: sort: missing NEWLINE added at end of input file STDIN Does anyone know what is the meaning of this message?... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marwan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help regarding Error message: A test command parameter is not valid

Hi I am getting few messages when trying to run my script from the following lines in the script if test then // SomeCode fi The messages are as follows: testing.sh: OBLIGOR_GROUP_ID: 0403-012 A test command parameter is not valid. testing.sh:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: skyineyes
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

test command looks strange...

I just ran into this today, and don't know what to make of it... if test x$SERVER = x then echo $USAGE exit 1 fi I know what everything in there does, except for the 'x' jazz... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjinno
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex test in bash

Hi I want to do a regex test and branch based on the test result, but this doesn't seems to work :confused: if \) ]] then echo success else echo failed fi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: subin_bala
1 Replies

6. Programming

a strange segment fault about ltp-posix test

Hi all In the ltp-posix test,there is a case in open_posix_testsuite\conformance\interfaces\timer_gettime\speculative/6-1.c I run the above code,it will has a segment fault, if I modify it to below,it works well Anybody can tell me why? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

7. AIX

Really strange unix message

We are getting this message on our AIX box. No one knows where its coming from. Where can I find any information on it? Warning: file system free space is less than 10 file system total size = -2621440 file system available space = 2485160 file system used space = -5106592 file system... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: t01scra
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

I am getting strange message when run borne shell script

I have a code: if then#{ process daily files for file in *_${Today}*.csv *_${Today}*.txt do if || then echo "This file will be processed in separate script" continue fi if ;then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
2 Replies
REGEXP(6)							   Games Manual 							 REGEXP(6)

NAME
regexp - regular expression notation DESCRIPTION
A regular expression specifies a set of strings of characters. A member of this set of strings is said to be matched by the regular expression. In many applications a delimiter character, commonly bounds a regular expression. In the following specification for regular expressions the word `character' means any character (rune) but newline. The syntax for a regular expression e0 is e3: literal | charclass | '.' | '^' | '$' | '(' e0 ')' e2: e3 | e2 REP REP: '*' | '+' | '?' e1: e2 | e1 e2 e0: e1 | e0 '|' e1 A literal is any non-metacharacter, or a metacharacter (one of .*+?[]()|^$), or the delimiter preceded by A charclass is a nonempty string s bracketed [s] (or [^s]); it matches any character in (or not in) s. A negated character class never matches newline. A substring a-b, with a and b in ascending order, stands for the inclusive range of characters between a and b. In s, the metacharacters an initial and the regular expression delimiter must be preceded by a other metacharacters have no special meaning and may appear unescaped. A matches any character. A matches the beginning of a line; matches the end of the line. The REP operators match zero or more (*), one or more (+), zero or one (?), instances respectively of the preceding regular expression e2. A concatenated regular expression, e1e2, matches a match to e1 followed by a match to e2. An alternative regular expression, e0|e1, matches either a match to e0 or a match to e1. A match to any part of a regular expression extends as far as possible without preventing a match to the remainder of the regular expres- sion. SEE ALSO
awk(1), ed(1), sam(1), sed(1), regexp(2) REGEXP(6)