Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Compressing folders
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Compressing folders Post 302075168 by vino on Wednesday 31st of May 2006 08:44:29 AM
Old 05-31-2006
Use zip with the -r option.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compressing files

I have never used this command before. I need to use the "compress" command to compress all files located in the subdirectories under the following directories: /home/ftp/inbound/Fordin Please advise, I appreciate your help. Thanks, Syed (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sh9492
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compressing two files in a script

Hi, i have written a script in unix which produces two files(.csv file) at the end. Now i want to add these to files in a zip file and send the zip file across the network by FTP. Problem is that i dunno how to make a single zip file containing the two files that have been created by the script.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nimish
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

compressing a string

HI, let say I have file having name "skp 27.doc". There is space between skp and 27. now I want to rename this file . So please let me know how is it possible? one more issue ............. let say a=5 echo $a output is 5. Again a= 4 echo $a wha will be the output? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: surjyap
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

compressing a directory

I have a pretty large directory on a backup hard drive. I have Tiger for an OS, what would be the best way to compress this directory. there is a large number of files inside in addition if that makes a difference any help appreciated hopefully thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compressing several directories

Could someone help with the easiest command to compress several directories and files? For example, I want two directories: /var/www/logs/ and /var/www/zones/ and this file: /var/www/messages to be compressed by tar/zip to a specific output directory like: /var/www/backup.extension ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: holyearth
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compressing of log files

Hello All My first post in the forum. :) I've this huge log files of size 20GB-30 GB in my unix server. I want to analyse the log file for some error messages. But because of the enormity of the size of these files i'm not able to grep/search the pattern in the file . Also, tried to gzip the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sgbhat
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making 99 folders 99 folders deep

I am trying to make a unix shell script that will make 99 folders 99 deep (counting the first level folders). So far i have made it make the first 99 folders and 99 more in all of the folders. The only problem is the only way i have found is copying and pasting part of the script over and over and... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: YukonAppleGeek
18 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for folders/parent folders not files.

Hello again, A little while back I got help with creating a command to search all directories and sub directories for files from daystart of day x. I'm wondering if there is a command that I've overlooked that may be able to search for / write folder names to an output file which ideally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with compressing

I have the following script to archive and compress the zip files created by my jira application, on a daily basis. But the compression seems to be not working. Each zip file is of size 103 MB. When I archive it, its coming close to 3-4 gb. But when I use gunzip or bzip2 the size is not getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compressing files

I need help to do a script that will compress a file that's bigger than 5000 octets and won't overwrite the previous compress file. lets say I have mylogfile.log and I would compress it I would become mylogfile. 1. log and if I would compress again mylogfile.log it would be mylogfile. 2.... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Froob
8 Replies
zipnote(1)						      General Commands Manual							zipnote(1)

NAME
zipsplit - split a zipfile into smaller zipfiles SYNOPSIS
zipsplit [-t] [-i] [-p] [-s] [-n size] [-r room] [-b path] [-h] [-q] [-v] [-L] zipfile ARGUMENTS
zipfile Zipfile to split. OPTIONS
-t Report how many files it will take, but don't make them. -i Make index (zipsplit.idx) and count its size against first zip file. -n size Make zip files no larger than "size" (default = 36000). -r room Leave room for "room" bytes on the first disk (default = 0). -b path Use path for the output zip files. -p Pause between output zip files. -s Do a sequential split even if it takes more zip files. -h Show a short help. -q Suppress some informational messages. -v Show version information. -L Show software license. DESCRIPTION
zipsplit reads a zipfile and splits it into smaller zipfiles. EXAMPLES
To be filled in. BUGS
Does not yet support large (> 2 GB) or split archives. SEE ALSO
zip(1), unzip(1) AUTHOR
Info-ZIP v3.0 of 8 May 2008 zipnote(1)