Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Accessing X application from remote Post 302075122 by sssow on Tuesday 30th of May 2006 07:00:12 PM
Old 05-30-2006
You can try Cygwin/X

http://x.cygwin.com/

While installing, make sure you select X11 to install.

You dont need anything extra on Solaris machine.
Start Cygwin/x on Windows machine. startx will start it. Then xhost + to disable access control
You can then do a telnet to solaris machine, set the DISPLAY to point to the Windows machine.

http://x.cygwin.com/docs/ug/cygwin-x-ug.pdf

Last edited by sssow; 05-30-2006 at 08:15 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing remote machine via an enviroment variable

Hi. Is it possible to remotely access another unix box via an enviroment variable, on another machine? I am trying to create an environment variable $MIPSDATA which will point to a folder on another machine. I have setup the .rhosts file and got that working on both machines (tested via a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElCaito
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing a Remote Backup

I had my server crash so I am trying to access the remote backup I had to get all the data back, and I cannot for the life of me remember how to access the backup drive. I made the backups through Plesk and it seems to be locking up whenever I use it to access the backup drive. If this just is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: daallie
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

How to know which application is connecting to a remote host

From a host A an application is trying to connect to host B. From firewall side I can see packets dropped coming from host A to host B. I've access to host A: how can I know which "application" is trying to connect to host B? Thanks, Marco (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcopb
3 Replies

4. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Application failed when remote login

I have an application (EXE file) in a Windows 2003 server. Through a DOS batch script, I called that application file using UNC path and working fine when locally login. But got failed when I tried the same batch script on remote login. The login id has been provided all the below rights: - Log on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: r_sethu
0 Replies

5. Programming

Oracle accessing from remote host

i have installd oracle 10 on Solaris 10 now i want to access this database from remote machine. -bash-3.00$ tnsping 192.168.92.49 TNS Ping Utility for Solaris: Version 10.2.0.2.0 - Production on 17-DEC-2010 21:06:51 Copyright (c) 1997, 2005, Oracle. All rights reserved. Used parameter... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: akhaliq22
23 Replies

6. Solaris

Remote Access to Application

Hi All, I have an application which I wanted to install on one solaris server instead of installing it on 6 solaris servers and then users should be able to access this application via one of those 6 servers. I think NFS is one of the option. Is there any other way we can invoke this application... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam101
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Accessing global-zone installed application

Hi, Is it possible to access application installed on global-zone from a non-global zone? Is there any configuration to achieve the above requirement? Tried looking up information but unable to find. Thanks in advance. Eugene (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srage
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for application that simplifies for non techie people accessing unix/linux env

Hello all I searched the net but didn't found any application that wrap ssh connection with GUI interface so that non techie people can connect to unix/linux accounts and work with files , so it will looks like there familiar Microsoft windows directory structure . Please don't answer with ..... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing my windows Application on Ubuntu

I am sure this is simple to do but as a newbie to UNIX i don't know much. I have Ubuntu installed on my machine alongside windows 7. How do i access all the folders, files and more importantly programs and softwares installed on Windows so i can use them in Ubuntu instead of going back and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pipsonian
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SSH] Accessing remote directory with user-passed path

Hi everybody, Currently, I have a script which access a remote computer via SSH, go to a folder already defined in the code and then executes a program in it, just like that: ssh user@host << EOI cd path ./file EOI It executes fine, but now I want to pass an argument in the command... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lgb3
2 Replies
xon(1X) 																   xon(1X)

NAME
xon - start an X program on a remote machine SYNOPSIS
xon remote-host [-access] [-debug] [-name window-name] [-nols] [-screen screen-no] [-user user-name] [command...] OPTIONS
Note that the options follow the remote host name (as they do with rlogin). Runs xhost locally to add the remote host to the host access list in the X server. This will not work unless xhost is given permission to modify the access list. Normally, xon disconnects the remote process from stdin, stdout and stderr to eliminate the daemon processes which usually connect them across the network. Specifying the -debug option leaves them connected so that error messages from the remote execution are sent back to the originating host. This specifies a different application name and window title for the default command (xterm). Normally xon passes the -ls option to the remote xterm; this option suspends that behaviour. This changes the screen number of the DISPLAY variable passed to the remote command. By default, xon simply uses rsh/remsh/rcmd to connect to the remote machine using the same user name as on the local machine. This option cause xon to specify an alternative user name. This will not work unless you have authorization to access the remote account, by placing an appropriate entry in the remote users file. DESCRIPTION
The xon program runs the specified command (default xterm -ls) on the remote machine using rsh, remsh, or rcmd. xon passes the DISPLAY, XAUTHORITY and XUSERFILESEARCHPATH environment variables to the remote command. When no command is specified, xon runs 'xterm -ls'. It additionally specifies the application name to be 'xterm-remote-host' and the win- dow title to be 'remote-host'. xon can only work when the remote host will allow you to log in without a password, by having an entry in the file permitting access. BUGS
xon can get easily confused when the remote-host, user-name or various environment variable values contain white space. xon has no way to send the appropriate X authorization information to the remote host. xon(1X)