Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DHCP and Hostnames
Special Forums IP Networking DHCP and Hostnames Post 302074875 by System Shock on Friday 26th of May 2006 02:32:37 PM
Old 05-26-2006
I don't know what you mean when you say "if the network doesn't know the names", but I don't see what the big issue would be if workstations go to DHCP - never understood why is this a practice inside a LAN, btw; laptops I can see...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie question about hostnames

When I log into bash it will say my username @localhost I wondering how do I change localhost to another such as draco.I've the using the hostname command as root but it changes back to localhost after I reboot.I was wondering how would I hide my ISP hostname in linux.Because when I log into an IRC... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: angelfly
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex help to get unique hostnames

Hi I have a file containing hostnames like this (host=myhost.domain.com) or (host=myhost) i need to extarct the unique hostnames without the domain names from that file. so my output should be myhost (without domain names) But my regex skills are rusty i tried grep "host"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file of hostnames with table in MySQL DB

Hi all, i have a list of files that contains some PC hostname, then i need to enumerate every hostname and check if there's a table with same name of the hosts in MySQL database XYZ. I need this because have to decide automatically if i have to make a create table or a insert into an existent... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: maxlamax
2 Replies

4. IP Networking

How to resolve hostnames on DHCP home network

Hi, I have a PC running Solaris 10 (hostname MARKUNIX) and a laptop running WinXP (hostname MARK-LAPTOP). Both are connected to broadband via a router. IP addresses for each are determined via DHCP (192.168.1.nn) and I do not leave either on, 24x7. I am running Oracle on MARKUNIX and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ksdmnv
1 Replies

5. IP Networking

Get DHCP relay interfaces IP address using DHCP

Hi All , please view the set up below: ------------------------------------------------------------------- | DHCP Server |-----------| ROUTER & |-----------| Clients | | 192.168.99.1 | - -<eth1>| DHCP-RELAY|<eth2>-- | 192.168.88.X | ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gdangoor
2 Replies

6. Programming

Getting All VM Hostnames Using Pysphere

I need to obtain a list of all the hostname of all the VM's that reside on two ESXI servers using pysphere. I have attempted using the basic methods but an unable to get a hostname in my testing using: from pysphere import VIServer server = VIServer() ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cyrillic Hostnames?

As the title suggests, I'm wondering if its possible to set a hostname to a name or word with Cyrillic letters (e.g. - Like the Russian alphabet). I tried installing the cyrillic-console package in Debian. I switched my desktop to Russian as well. However, when I try to set the hostname I get that... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ip address for multiple hostnames

i have a file which has 100 servers,i want a script which can output me ip address and hostname for that server. Thanks in advance!! input file abc.com output file should be abc.com 192.168.1..1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Moon1234
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for valid hostnames

Hello, I am trying to develop a script to check for valid hostnames. Below are the prerequisites for a valid hostname which I got from wiki : Hostnames are composed of series of labels concatenated with dots, as are all domain names. For example, "en.wikipedia.org" is a hostname. Each label... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul2662
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grouping hostnames for pdsh

Hi All, I have a list of hostnames in a text file and I would like to craft a bash script that would group them for use with pdsh. For example... I would like to group the following from a file: hostname1000 hostname1001 hostname1002 hostname1003 hostname1004 hostname2000... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joeg1484
4 Replies