Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep, count and match two files Post 302074871 by madhunk on Friday 26th of May 2006 01:32:00 PM
Old 05-26-2006
Grep, count and match two files

I am writing the below script to do a grep and count number of occurances between two tab delimited files.

I am trying to achieve..

1) Extract column 2 and column 3 from the S.txt file. Put it in a temp pattern file
2) Grep and count column 2 in D.txt file
3) Compare the counts between D.txt and S.txt files.
4) Abort if counts doesn't match

Example: APPLE occurs 4 times in D.txt and is a match in S.txt

Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh

SUM_COUNT=`nawk '{if ($0 ~ /^S/) print $2,$3 >"S1.txt" }'` S.txt

for i in S1.txt
do
DETAIL_COUNT=`grep $i D.txt | wc -l`
if [ ${DETAIL_COUNT} -eq ${SUM_COUNT} ]
then
     echo "Count between Detail and Summary matches"
else
     echo "Count didn't match"
      exit
fi
done

The script goes in a loop and never exits....I am not sure if this is the right way to code.

S.txt
PHP Code:
S       APPLES                          4
S       ORANGES                         1
S       PEARS                           1
S       PINEAPPLES                      1
S       TOMATOES                        0
S       PEPPERS                         1 
D.txt
PHP Code:
D       PINEAPPLES
D       ORANGES
D       PEARS
D       APPLES
D       APPLES
D       APPLES
D       APPLES
D       PEPPERS 
I am still in the learning phase and would appreciate any input on this..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep count across multiple files

I have a number of simulation log files and I want to get a total count of the "PASSED" expression in them. If I use grep -c <files>, grep would give a tally for each file. I just want one number, the total count. How do I do that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: CrunchMunch
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing two files and count number of lines that match

Hello all, I always found help for my problems using the search option, but this time my request is too specific. I have two files that I want to compare. File1 is the index and File2 contains the data: File1: chr1 protein_coding exon 500 600 . + . gene_id "20532";... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DerSeb
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string from logs of last 1 hour on files of 2 different servers and calculate count

Hi, I am trying to grep a particular string from the files of 2 different servers without copying and calculate the total count of its occurence on both files. File structure is same on both servers and for reference as follows: 27-Aug-2010... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: poweroflinux
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep bunch of gzip files to count based on category

Started using unix commands recently. I have 50 gzip files. I want to grep each of these files for a line count based particular category in column 3. How can I do that? For example Sr.No Date City Description Code Address 1 06/09 NY living here 0909 10st st nyc 2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jinxx
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep - match files containing minimum number of pattern matches

I want to search a bunch of files and list only those containing a minimum number of pattern matches. So if I want to identify files containing 3 (or more) instances of the pattern "said:" and I have file1 that contains the lines: He said: She said: and file2 that contains the lines: He... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stumpyuk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern match using grep between two files

Hello Everyone , I have two files. I want to pick line from file-1 and match with the complete data in file-2 , if there is a match print all the match lines in file 3. Below is the file cat test1.txt vikas vikasjain j ain testt douknow hello@vik@ # 33 ||@@ vcpzxcmvhvdsh... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mailvkjain
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Grep multiple files and display first match

I have a need to grep a large number of files, but only display the first result from each file. I have tried to use grep, but am not limited to it. I can use perl and awk as well. Please help! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbiggied
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error files count while coping files from source to destination locaton as well count success full

hi All, Any one answer my requirement. I have source location src_dir="/home/oracle/arun/IRMS-CM" My Target location dest_dir="/home/oracle/arun/LiveLink/IRMS-CM/$dc/$pc/$ct" my source text files check with below example.text file content $fn "\t" $dc "\t" $pc "\t" ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravanreddy
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Files with and without match

Hi There, How do i finding files with match and without match Normally, I will use grep -l 'Hello' grep -L 'Hello World' How do we combined (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Count the number of files to delete doesnt match

Good evening, need your help please Need to delete certain files before octobre 1 2016, so need to know how many files im going to delete, for instance ls -lrt file_20160*.lis!wc -l but using grep -c to another file called bplist which contains the list of all files backed up doesn match... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
7 Replies
OCAMLWC(1)						      General Commands Manual							OCAMLWC(1)

NAME
ocamlwc - count the lines of code and comments in OCaml sources SYNOPSIS
ocamlwc [options] [files] DESCRIPTION
ocamlwc is a program to count the number of lines of code and documentation in OCaml sources. It assumes its input to be lexically well- formed. If no files are given, then ocamlwc reads from stdin. The first column of the output lists the number of source lines of code, the second column the number of lines of documentation, and the third the respective filename. If ocamlwc acts on more than one file, then it prints a total in the last line. OPTIONS
-p Print percentage of documentation (in an additional column after the filename). -c Print only the code size, i.e., omit the documentation column. -e (everything) Do not skip headers. A header is the first comment in a file. -a (all) Do not skip generated files. foo.ml is a generated file if one of foo.mll, foo.mly, or foo.ml4 is amongst the given files. foo.mli is a generated file if foo.mly is amongst the given files. -h Print short usage information. AUTHOR
ocamlwc was written by Jean-Christophe Filliatre <Jean-Christophe.Filliatre@lri.fr>. This manual page was written by Georg Neis <gn@oglaroon.de>. January 2, 2007 OCAMLWC(1)