Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: complex command substitution
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting complex command substitution Post 302074576 by Macer on Wednesday 24th of May 2006 07:39:57 AM
Old 05-24-2006
Could you not just unquote at the point you need the variable interpolation:

vlc -I dummy --sout='#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,acodec=mp4a}:std{access=file,mux=mp4,url='$T'} ' "$F"

Does that work?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

advanced/complex uses of the find command

Perhaps the number one advanced find question is: How to stop find from descending into subdirectories? find command Performing a non-recursive find in Unix Use -prune with find command on AIX Searching for files over 30 days old in current directory disk space used for files with in a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Perderabo
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi/vim : complex pattern substitution

I use vim. I have a lot of SQL queries to write, and am hoping there is some wild command I can use in vim to make this simpler. From a file that is a list of fields, like the excerpt, for example: orderdetail.ccntyfips orderdetail.citemord orderdetail.coffdetid I want to go to this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: c444l
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

complex grep command

hi all i have file call "list.log" which contains like this 00300 000024501043846 0 00300 000034531322871 0 00600 000000489100734 0 and so on .. the file goes like this:(example first row) from position 1-5 the lider number(300),position 7-21 id... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naamas03
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex find grep or sed command

Haven't worked in bash for ages. did a good bit of shell scripting in regular sh, but have forgotten most of it. I have several thousand php files that now include the following line at the end of the file. There is no LF or CR/LF before it begins, it is just concatenated to the final line of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sjburden
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex Email command in unix

Folks, I have two files, i.e. one.txt and two.dat on unix file system. I need to include the contents of one.txt in the body of the email to the sender and attach two.dat in the same email as an attachment using ksh commands, mailx or uuencode etc... I know how to send them seperately but I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: calredd
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

complex find command

Hi all, I am trying to execute the following command: find 'path' -ls -exec cksum {} \; As you can see this simply finds files from a given path and runs cksum on them. My problem is this, if i have a FIFO in a directory the find tries to execute cksum on it and gets stuck. From the man page i... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: noam128
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with complex logic

I'm looking to write a script that will do a find of directories and delete them if they are older than x days but keep the last x # of folders even if they are older than x days. The usage is for a deployment location, so we want to keep the location clean but retain maybe the last 2 builds that... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: MaureenT
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed insert command and variable expansion/command substitution

I know this script is crummy, but I was just messing around.. how do I get sed's insert command to allow variable expansion to show the filename? #!/bin/bash filename=`echo $0` /usr/bin/sed '/#include/ { i\ the filename is `$filename` }' $1 exit 0 (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: glev2005
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read command - using output from command substitution

Hey, guys! Trying to research this is such a pain since the read command itself is a common word. Try searching "unix OR linux read command examples" or using the command substitution keyword. :eek: So, I wanted to use a command statement similar to the following. This is kinda taken... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ProGrammar
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Complex grep command

Hallo Team, I need your help and its rather urgent. I have a file with thousands of lines. Here is a sample below: Sample1.txt BW235045560121114833444044@196.35.130.5 BW235106757121114-574455394@196.35.130.5 BW2349514941211141077771352@196.35.130.5... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kekanap
5 Replies
exec(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exec(1)

NAME
exec, eval, source - shell built-in functions to execute other commands SYNOPSIS
sh exec [argument...] eval [argument...] csh exec command eval argument... source [-h] name ksh *exec [arg...] *eval [arg...] DESCRIPTION
sh The exec command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and, if no other arguments are given, cause the shell input/output to be modified. The arguments to the eval built-in are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. csh exec executes command in place of the current shell, which terminates. eval reads its arguments as input to the shell and executes the resulting command(s). This is usually used to execute commands generated as the result of command or variable substitution. source reads commands from name. source commands may be nested, but if they are nested too deeply the shell may run out of file descrip- tors. An error in a sourced file at any level terminates all nested source commands. -h Place commands from the file name on the history list without executing them. ksh With the exec built-in, if arg is given, the command specified by the arguments is executed in place of this shell without creating a new process. Input/output arguments may appear and affect the current process. If no arguments are given the effect of this command is to mod- ify file descriptors as prescribed by the input/output redirection list. In this case, any file descriptor numbers greater than 2 that are opened with this mechanism are closed when invoking another program. The arguments to eval are read as input to the shell and the resulting command(s) executed. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. EXIT STATUS
For ksh: If command is not found, the exit status is 127. If command is found, but is not an executable utility, the exit status is 126. If a redi- rection error occurs, the shell exits with a value in the range 1-125. Otherwise, exec returns a zero exit status. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Jul 2002 exec(1)