Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: compress a file in unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers compress a file in unix Post 302074575 by amro1 on Wednesday 24th of May 2006 07:39:09 AM
Old 05-24-2006
Here..

There are many compressing commands in UNIX/Linux: zip/unzip,gzip/gunzip,compress/uncompress,pax and so on...
Even tar command now knows to compress, for example
like tar -cvzf myarchive.tar.Z /somedirectory so there is no need to perform
compression as it does it automatically with "z" option added.

Hope it helps.

Get "UNIX in 24 hours" book or "UNIX Essentials and UNIX Core" DVD as they explain stuff like that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unix compress-Wintel uncompress

Is it possible to compress a large Unix file (16GB), then FTP it to a Wintel machine running XP then uncompress? I have already attempted to FTP the 16GB file but it stops at 4GB because XP FAT32 formtted drives will only allow 4GB file sizes. The 16GB file in Unix(Solaris) compresses to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rampart1
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress in Unix

I tried Compress ; gzip and bzip . And they don't always compress files to small . Can someone tell me if there is any compress tool better than those ? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sasuke
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[help] Cant compress file

Anybody know what happened here? 162 lab2-36:~/try_direct/another> compress url.txt url.txt: -- file unchanged (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: endeavour1985
8 Replies

4. HP-UX

Compress while wrting to a file using a unix pipe

I would like to know if the following can be done. route output from an sql select directly to a pipe and compress it at the same time. regards Albert (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: booyena1
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

unix script to takes the old data from a TXT file and compress them into new file

Hi, I am looking for the unix script which can takes the 2 month old data from a TXT file (there is one txt file in whiche messages are appended on daily basis) and compress them into new file.Please halp me out. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpandey
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress in UNIX ftp the uncompress in windows server

Hi all, I need a shell script that will compress all the files in the UNIX box say /output/foldre/OUT/*.out. 1. I need to compress all the .out files present in this path. 2. The compressed files shuld be FTPed to Windows server say C:\Myfiles 3. Then the FTPed files should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Codesearcher
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX: Command to compress folder and all files into a tar

I am trying to grab a folder and all the folders and files underneath it and send it from one computer to another. I basically want to compress the whole folder into a tar, tgz, or zip file so that it can be sent as one file. is there a command to compress a folder and all its contents into a tar... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kane4355
7 Replies

9. HP-UX

HP-UNIX How to zip/compress files in a folder?

Environment: HP-Unix Operating System B.11.31 U ia64 I have a folder with around 2000 files. There are some files which sizes are more than 8 GB. I need to compress all the files in the folder into a single file, so that I can transfer the file. I tried with tar command, but the tar... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siva SQL
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress every file

Dear Experts, I am new to this forum. Thank you for moderator to allow me to join. I have a question about automatic compression using sh and crontab on an application which runs on the Suse Linux Server 11 SP4. My question is how to compress every file in a directory into its own tar... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steven_2975
5 Replies
GIT-ARCHIVE(1)							    Git Manual							    GIT-ARCHIVE(1)

NAME
git-archive - Create an archive of files from a named tree SYNOPSIS
git archive [--format=<fmt>] [--list] [--prefix=<prefix>/] [<extra>] [-o | --output=<file>] [--worktree-attributes] [--remote=<repo> [--exec=<git-upload-archive>]] <tree-ish> [<path>...] DESCRIPTION
Creates an archive of the specified format containing the tree structure for the named tree, and writes it out to the standard output. If <prefix> is specified it is prepended to the filenames in the archive. git archive behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as the modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header if the tar format is used; it can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. In ZIP files it is stored as a file comment. OPTIONS
--format=<fmt> Format of the resulting archive: tar or zip. If this option is not given, and the output file is specified, the format is inferred from the filename if possible (e.g. writing to "foo.zip" makes the output to be in the zip format). Otherwise the output format is tar. -l, --list Show all available formats. -v, --verbose Report progress to stderr. --prefix=<prefix>/ Prepend <prefix>/ to each filename in the archive. -o <file>, --output=<file> Write the archive to <file> instead of stdout. --worktree-attributes Look for attributes in .gitattributes in working directory too. <extra> This can be any options that the archiver backend understands. See next section. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from the local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. --exec=<git-upload-archive> Used with --remote to specify the path to the git-upload-archive on the remote side. <tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce an archive for. <path> Without an optional path parameter, all files and subdirectories of the current working directory are included in the archive. If one or more paths are specified, only these are included. BACKEND EXTRA OPTIONS
zip -0 Store the files instead of deflating them. -9 Highest and slowest compression level. You can specify any number from 1 to 9 to adjust compression speed and ratio. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. If --remote is used then only the configuration of the remote repository takes effect. tar.<format>.command This variable specifies a shell command through which the tar output generated by git archive should be piped. The command is executed using the shell with the generated tar file on its standard input, and should produce the final output on its standard output. Any compression-level options will be passed to the command (e.g., "-9"). An output file with the same extension as <format> will be use this format if no other format is given. The "tar.gz" and "tgz" formats are defined automatically and default to gzip -cn. You may override them with custom commands. tar.<format>.remote If true, enable <format> for use by remote clients via git-upload-archive(1). Defaults to false for user-defined formats, but true for the "tar.gz" and "tgz" formats. ATTRIBUTES
export-ignore Files and directories with the attribute export-ignore won't be added to archive files. See gitattributes(5) for details. export-subst If the attribute export-subst is set for a file then git will expand several placeholders when adding this file to an archive. See gitattributes(5) for details. Note that attributes are by default taken from the .gitattributes files in the tree that is being archived. If you want to tweak the way the output is generated after the fact (e.g. you committed without adding an appropriate export-ignore in its .gitattributes), adjust the checked out .gitattributes file as necessary and use --worktree-attributes option. Alternatively you can keep necessary attributes that should apply while archiving any tree in your $GIT_DIR/info/attributes file. EXAMPLES
git archive --format=tar --prefix=junk/ HEAD | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extract it in the /var/tmp/junk directory. git archive --format=tar --prefix=git-1.4.0/ v1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a compressed tarball for v1.4.0 release. git archive --format=tar.gz --prefix=git-1.4.0/ v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Same as above, but using the builtin tar.gz handling. git archive --prefix=git-1.4.0/ -o git-1.4.0.tar.gz v1.4.0 Same as above, but the format is inferred from the output file. git archive --format=tar --prefix=git-1.4.0/ v1.4.0^{tree} | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a compressed tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git archive --format=zip --prefix=git-docs/ HEAD:Documentation/ > git-1.4.0-docs.zip Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.zip, with the prefix git-docs/. git archive -o latest.zip HEAD Create a Zip archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch. Note that the output format is inferred by the extension of the output file. git config tar.tar.xz.command "xz -c" Configure a "tar.xz" format for making LZMA-compressed tarfiles. You can use it specifying --format=tar.xz, or by creating an output file like -o foo.tar.xz. SEE ALSO
gitattributes(5) GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-ARCHIVE(1)