Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Why do basic unix commands not work in BASH Post 302074308 by norsk hedensk on Monday 22nd of May 2006 03:06:30 PM
Old 05-22-2006
check your path

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix basic commands

I need a sheet with the basic unix commands , and commands for VI editor. Does anyone know where i can get them. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peter Spellman
3 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Basic Unix Commands for cygwin

Hi. I'm New user for this Forum.Presently i'm working with Cygwin I want to know the basic commands that will be used for Cygwin. Can anyone guide me on this regards Thanks & Regards Sanjay (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjay.karthik
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do I get my arrow keys to work for looking thru my PREVIOUS UNIX COMMANDS

how do I make my arrow keys behave like they are on DOS. ALSO i need editing on command promt like it is on DOS on my UNIX prompt can anyone help pl.. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: spotnis
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Vi editor basic commands

I would be thankful if anyone could show me commands to do the following tasks in vi:1) How can I undo or redo my last action in vi editor. 2) How can I copy only a word or a portion of line (not the whole line) in vi, like we can select text and press ctrl+c in notepad to copy any text. 3)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nervous
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script doesn't work, but commands inside work

Howdie everyone... I have a shell script RemoveFiles.sh Inside this file, it only has two commands as below: rm -f ../../reportToday/temp/* rm -f ../../report/* My problem is that when i execute this script, nothing happened. Files remained unremoved. I don't see any error message as it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cheongww
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with basic command that will not work

I need to be able to look up a file system with the inode number 214743 and, get its absolute reference in a single line... I have tried.. "find / -inum 214743 -print" (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blankets3
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic Unix bash script help

Hello there Been using Unix bash scripting for two days now so am very new to this. I am currently doing a project now and i'm basically making a noughts and crosses game (or tic tac toe). I have created the board using an array. When I try and check to see if the array is empty using an If... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ChrisHoogie
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

New To Unix- Need Help With Bash Commands for Printing

Urgent Help - I have a problem, I need to know how to print a count of files from a specific date that passed and that failed. Additionally, print the name of the files located on the date, print a list of all dates during which a file with a name like 'test' was processed, and then determine... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJ 49er
5 Replies

9. Programming

Using basic UNIX commands to make/compile JAVA files

Hello! This is my first post, and I just learned what UNIX was this week. For a JAVA programming class I am taking, I must be able to create a directory in UNIX, use the nano command to create a JAVA program, compile it, and then run it on the command prompt using the java command. For some... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: UNdvoItX
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Saltstack commands inside bash scripts donā€™t work

In a Redhat Linux environment, I could run salt commands on the $ prompt but not inside my bash scripts. It will say command not found and the $PATH variable is exactly the same outside and inside the script. !#/usr/bin/bash echo “running”¯ salt "*" cmd.run ‘ls' exit Output:-... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurudewa
8 Replies
getusershell(3C)					   Standard C Library Functions 					  getusershell(3C)

NAME
getusershell, setusershell, endusershell - get legal user shells SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> char *getusershell(void); void setusershell(void); void endusershell(void); DESCRIPTION
The getusershell() function returns a pointer to a legal user shell as defined by the system manager in the file /etc/shells. If /etc/shells does not exist, the following locations of the standard system shells are used in its place: /bin/bash /bin/csh /bin/jsh /bin/ksh /bin/pfcsh /bin/pfksh /bin/pfsh /bin/sh /bin/tcsh /bin/zsh /sbin/jsh /sbin/pfsh /sbin/sh /usr/bin/bash /usr/bin/csh /usr/bin/jsh /usr/bin/ksh /usr/bin/pfcsh /usr/bin/pfksh /usr/bin/pfsh /usr/bin/sh /usr/bin/tcsh /usr/bin/zsh /usr/xpg4/bin/sh The getusershell() function opens the file /etc/shells, if it exists, and returns the next entry in the list of shells. The setusershell() function rewinds the file or the list. The endusershell() function closes the file, frees any memory used by getusershell() and setusershell(), and rewinds the file /etc/shells. RETURN VALUES
The getusershell() function returns a null pointer on EOF. BUGS
All information is contained in memory that may be freed with a call to endusershell(), so it must be copied if it is to be saved. SunOS 5.10 30 Aug 2004 getusershell(3C)