Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Disk image !!
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory Disk image !! Post 302074192 by wesweshahaha on Sunday 21st of May 2006 10:48:02 AM
Old 05-21-2006
Disk image !!

Hi all,
I have a SCSI hard disk drive (2GB) I'm installing on it solaris 5 and some other applications on a sun sparc workstation, I made an image file of this H.D using Norton Ghost 6, then I restored this image file on another H.D.D (4GB), I tried to boot the sun sparc workstation with this new H.D.D but it gave me the message "Bad Magic Number" !!!!!!!, what's wrong? I don't know!! The image file was created successfully and restoring the data was made successfully, the only difference is the size of the new H.D.D, so I want to boot the system normally without loosing the data using the new 4GB hard disk. Please tell me the right way to recover the system back without loses.
Note: is there a way to tell the system that the new hard disk is not 4GB and it is 2GB so that the system can recognize the disk and can boot without any error messages?
Thanks and regards
Please reply Smilie

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to create a disk image

I have a whole bunch of solaris machines. How do i create an image so i dont have to keep doing a reload and. In the pC world we have ghost what about the solaris world? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
3 Replies

2. Linux

disk image

when i made image of my fedora9 disk it had 18 GB. my new drive has 60GB. How can i expand the installed image to fit the entire new disk?. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZG9
2 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Can't Mount Disk / Image after bad unmount

I have had a little issue with one of my disks, the usb cacble was pulled out and one of the external drives on it would no longer mount. I used First Aid and it verified and repaired both OK / nothing to do). After lots of messing around and not being able to mount I used Drive Genius 2 and that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cranie
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Unattended disk image deployment?

Hi I need a system that allows a PC to PXE boot and then fully unattended deploy a diskimage created from a Linux system with identical hardware and then reboot when finished. I have been looking around but have not found a tool that is capable of doing this without too many bells and whistles,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smith0083
2 Replies

5. AIX

DR using a mksysb image on disk.

This may be a dumb question and the more I think about it the worst it seems!! I have inherited some standalone systems where they are using the mksysb command to create a disk file image; this image is then backed up to Networker. My dumb question is how would we go about restoring this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gz3xzf
4 Replies
createhdf(1)							     Emulators							      createhdf(1)

NAME
createhdf - Create a blank IDE hard disk image in .hdf format SYNOPSIS
createhdf [ -c ] [ -s ] cylinders heads sectors file DESCRIPTION
createhdf creates a blank image of an IDE hard disk in .hdf format for use with Sinclair ZX Spectrum emulators. OPTIONS
-c specifies that the .hdf image should be created in `compact' mode, where only the low byte of every word is stored in the image. This is useful for saving space if the hard disk image is for use with an interface which accesses only the low byte of every word. -s specifies that the .hdf image should not be created as a sparse file. Normally, createhdf will attempt to create the hard disk image as a `sparse file', where the operating system knows that the file consists mostly of zero bytes and fills those in without using any space in the file. This option disables this. (There's nothing `magic' about this: if data is written to the file, it will take up space just like any other data; it's only empty space which is synthesised by the operating system). -v version specifies the version of .hdf image to be created. Valid values are `1.0' for a version 1.0 file and `1.1' for a version 1.1 file. Defaults to creating version 1.1 files. cylinders specifies the number of cylinders in the image. heads specifies the number of heads in the image. sectors specifies the number of sectors in the image. file specifies the file to which the image should be written. BUGS
None known. SEE ALSO
fuse(1), fuse-utils(1), libspectrum(3) The .hdf format specification, at http://www.ramsoft.bbk.org/hdfform.html. The comp.sys.sinclair Spectrum FAQ, at http://www.worldofspectrum.org/faq/index.html. AUTHOR
Philip Kendall (philip-fuse@shadowmagic.org.uk). Version 1.0.0 16th December, 2010 createhdf(1)