Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ksh in rc3.d startup script
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting ksh in rc3.d startup script Post 302074066 by hegemaro on Friday 19th of May 2006 11:28:57 AM
Old 05-19-2006
My current assignment has me on Solaris 8 but I suspect that with most UNIX variants by the time your system reaches run-level 3, the /usr file system has been mounted which is where /usr/bin/ksh would be located. With Solaris, there is actually a /bin/sh on the / file system which is used until overlayed by the aforementioned mount.

So, up to that point in the boot process, it is a question of function. Afterwards, it is a question of preference and style using any available shell.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

import var and function from ksh script to another ksh script

Ih all, i have multiples ksh scripts for crontab's unix jobs they all have same variables declarations and some similar functions i would have a only single script file to declare my variables, like: var1= "aaa" var2= "bbb" var3= "ccc" ... function ab { ...} function bc { ... }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolfhurt
2 Replies

2. Linux

startup scripts (rc3.d)

I've created the following link in order to startup apache tomcat on startup, however, it does not seem to run. Am I missing something out? :confused: /etc/init.d lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Sep 5 14:59 K73ypbind -> ../init.d/ypbind lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Sep 11 13:09 S100tomcat ->... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jon80
5 Replies

3. Linux

Script under rc3.d Vs rc.local

Which of the following gets executed first? script under rc3.d Vs script under rc.local I was under impression that rc3.d has higher precedence over rc.local. Somehow it looks like the script under rc.local got executed first than the one under rc3.d. I had to manually start them in order... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
7 Replies

4. Linux

Script under rc3.d not being executed on server bootup

Hello all, I have a script callled 'ABCstartup' setup under /etc/rc.d/init.d Softlink 'S91ABCstartup' pointing to above script has been created under /etc/rc.d/rc3.d The script is not being executed when the server restarts. The script runs successfully via manual execution:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Startup Script Somewhere ?

Hello there! I need help. Everytime I login to my ssh, i see this: -bash: .export: command not found -bash: .export: command not found -bash: .export: command not found -bash: .export: command not found any help ? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fbauto1
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script to run other ksh scripts and output it to a file and/or email

Hi I am new to this Scripting process and would like to know How can i write a ksh script that will call other ksh scripts and write the output to a file and/or email. For example ------- Script ABC ------- a.ksh b.ksh c.ksh I need to call all three scripts execute them and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pacifican
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apache tomcat startup script not booting at startup.

I copied the script from an AskUbuntu post - #!/bin/bash ### BEGIN INIT INFO # Provides: tomcat7 # Required-Start: $network # Required-Stop: $network # Default-Start: 2 3 4 5 # Default-Stop: 0 1 6 # Short-Description: Start/Stop Tomcat server ### END INIT INFO ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hijanoqu
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Startup script

I can't quite find a clear answer on how to properly write a start up script. Does anybody have any ideas?? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Huitzilopochtli
3 Replies
times(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          times(1)

NAME
times - shell built-in function to report time usages of the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh times ksh times DESCRIPTION
sh Print the accumulated user and system times for processes run from the shell. ksh Print the accumulated user and system times for the shell and for processes run from the shell. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), sh(1), time(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 times(1)