Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE How do I compile source undfer Suse Linux? Post 302074014 by Mark Ward on Friday 19th of May 2006 08:49:55 AM
Old 05-19-2006
How do I compile source undfer Suse Linux?

I've been usuing Suse 9.1 & 10 on 2 different machines for a while and have so far relied on ready compiled versions of programs in RPMs in order to install them.

I'm unclear what is envolved in compiling from the source code myself. I did a general google on the topic and found some unclear information that listed a mass of files I'd need to add to my systems and some vague intructions.

I've been considering a number of applications (including Zone-Minder) that I would like to run under Suse, but there are not compiled versions of the latest revisions available.

Could someone shed some light on the process "work-flow" of compiling for me please? Any link to a "How-To" would be appreciated. I'm sure I'll be able to do it, I just can't seem to work out what I should be doing.

Is there a rpm with all the necessary files I'll need to add to my systems?

Many thanks,

Mark.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

compile rpm-4.0 source

Hello Unix experts, I downloaded rpm-4.0 source from ftp.redhat.com and tried to make it. There are something I could not understand. - Makefile.in and Makefile.am instead of Makefile - file INSTALL doesn't show clearly the steps of compiling What are these 2 files, Makefile.in and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddie
2 Replies

2. Programming

error trying to compile a c++ source file

i tried to compile a c++ file using the g++ command: g++ <filename>.cpp -out <output_file> and i received the following error message: ld.so.1: gcc: fatal: relocation error: file gcc: symbol bindtextdomain: referenced symbol not found Killed is it that i am using incorrectly the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ldrojasm
1 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

How to compile from source code?

Hi all, I downloaded the source code for a pkg. But i dont know how to build from it? I have no prior experience in building from source,so could you pls help me? I tried ./configure(after entering into the dir containing the src codes) but it generated some errors!!!!! Some files... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wrapster
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Error when compile source code

Hello,I'm trying to compile source code for Nmap. My $PATH /usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/ucb:/usr/local/bin:/usr/css/bin I type ./configure and all goes great.When I type ./make or ./make it says make not found.Why?I need a correct path for make?Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bgf0
2 Replies
NET-COMPILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    NET-COMPILE(8)

NAME
netscript-compile - netscript ipfilter-defs compile back end. SYNOPSIS
netcript-compile [ -fhq ] [ -b max-backup-level ] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the netscript-compile command from the netscript router/firewall network configuration package. This command is the back end to the netscript compile command documented in netscript(8) manpage. See ipfilter-defs(5) for the details on the definitions files in /etc/netscript/ipfilter-defs. By default it checks to see if the relevant files in the /etc/netscript/ipfilter-defs directory have been updated by comparing their modi- fication times to that of /etc/netscript/ipfilter-defs.conf, and if updating is needed, it recompiles and re-creates the file. Up to max- backup-levels of history are kept of previously compiled /etc/netscript/ipfilter-defs.conf files, with a numeric extention in order of increasing age. OPTIONS
-b max-backup-level Sets the maximum level of backups kept of previously compiled files. This defaults to 2 (see /etc/netscript/netscript-com- pile.conf), and it is also used by the netscript(8) compile command. -f Force compile even though compile file is up to date with definitions. The testing depends on the modification times of the defini- tion file inodes in the file system. -h Show a summary of options. -q Quiet compile. This option suppresses informational progress messages. FILES
/etc/netscript/ipfilter-defs.conf, /etc/netscript/ipfilter-defs-compiled.conf, /etc/netscript/ipfilter-defs directory. SEE ALSO
ipfilter-defs(5), netscript(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Matthew Grant <grantma@anathoth.gen.nz>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). BUGS
I wrote this manpage when I was not half asleep... March 25, 2003 NET-COMPILE(8)