Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Omitting some filenames for commands to process Post 302073928 by milhan on Thursday 18th of May 2006 03:48:17 PM
Old 05-18-2006
Power Omitting some filenames for commands to process

hello all,

this topic might have been discussed but I couldn't find it with searching.

I am trying to do a for command that will dos2unix files one by one and save it under directory called backup (backup is in the same directory with other files). When I do:

Code:
for i in *
do
  dos2unix $i backup/"$i"
done

this will try to copy/dos2unix the backup directory itself too. Since it can't do it, it stops copying files. I know there is a way to specify in unix; like: everything but not something. In the above command I should be able to say

Code:
for i in * but not backup 
do
   cp files under backup
done

so that It will skip when encountered to backup directory file.

I hope I made sense...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk:Find length of string omitting quotes

Hi , I have a file named "sample" having the data as follows. "663005487","USD",0,1,"NR" If i give like a=`awk -F ',' '{printf length($2)}' sample` (Trying to find length of second field)I should get the output for the above as 3 (Omitting double quotes) not 5. How to do this..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayakumarrt
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find filenames like unix commands

Hi, I need to write a small script to search in some specific directories to check if any file is present with a unix command name... Means if the directory contains any files like cat, vi, grep, find etc i need to list those files into a file. Please help Thanks, D (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakgang
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

commands not working if the executed from forked process

Hi, I have an application where if it runs indivisually could able to execute commands (like system("ls")) and could able to execute tcl script. Same application if started from health monitor process (From health monitor process my application will be forked), it could not execute the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chandrutiptur
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Omitting the last 2 alphabets in the words

Hi Guys, Bit new to Unix shell scripting so this question might seems little kiddish for you. what im trying to achieve here is : I have file which is compressed like Account_52320090605076_log.Z so in my shell script i call this file also as one of my parameters like ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolrekz
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Executing a sequence of commands as a single background process

I'm writing a PHP script which will take a given media file and convert it into a flash (flv) file. In addition to this, once the flv file has been generated I create two thumbnails (of different sizes) from the newly generated flv file. In order to do this I'm calling ffmpeg from the command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: phatphug
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiples commands between pipes and a single process

Hi I have this script: #!/bin/ksh cmd1 | cmd 2 |cmd 3| cmd4 which it creates 4 process.... Is possible to create a single process PID1 which include all commands? Thanks Israel (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Omitting directory

Hello, Am trying to copy log files from one directory to other directory but the files are with date format i need it for some specific date like this find . -name 'log.2011020*' -exec cp ~/temp {} \; but its displaying the below error cp: omitting directory `/home/l828117/temp' cp:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thelakbe
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find process by name and insert commands

I am writing a tcsh script that will open an already-running processs on a system, and give it a command. I want to have something similar to this: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/kill-process-in-linux-or-terminate-a-process-in-unix-or-linux-systems/ But I need to be able to find the process and... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adorai
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Omitting sections of file that contain word

I have a configuration file that contains hundreds of these chunks. Each "chunk" is the section that begins with "define service {" and ends with "}". define service { check_command check_proc!java hostgroup_name service_description ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To run 5 commands at the same time with process from a list

I have many command is list in the variable lists,each command will run a very long time, so I want to run 5 commands at the same time with process till it complete run all the command, lists="aa bb cc dd xx gg blabla zz ......." ( a very long list) can some one point me the codes? ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
7 Replies
BACKUP-MANAGER-PURGE(8) 				       backup-manager-purge					   BACKUP-MANAGER-PURGE(8)

NAME
backup-manager-purge - backup-manager's wrapper for outdating files SYNOPSIS
backup-manager-purge [TTL] <options> DESCRIPTION
backup-manager-purge is the only authorized entity that can say if an archive should be purged or not. Any tasks used by backup-manager may have to know if an archive is deprecated (eg: the purging phase of an upload method). This tool is here to fulfill that need. Given a time to live (TTL) and a list of archives, backup-manager-purge will return another list of archives, corresponding to the ones that are outdated by the TTL. REQUIRED ARGS
--ttl=time-to-live Specify the time to live (in days) for the archives. Any archive that is older than ttl days will be outdated. OPTIONAL ARGS
--files-from=file A file containing a list of archives to parse, one archive per line. If this option is not used, STDIN will be used for catching the files to parse. RETURN
backup-manager-purge will return the list of outdated files on STDOUT, one file per line. ERROR CODES
If an error occurs, it will print the error message on stderr and will exit with an error code greater than 0. Here are the possible error codes: bad command line (wrong arguments) : 10 internal error (should be reported as a bug) : 20 SEE ALSO
backup-manager(8) backup-manager-upload(8) AUTHORS
Concept and design by Alexis Sukrieh and Jan Metzger. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-09 BACKUP-MANAGER-PURGE(8)