Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Newbie in need of help
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Newbie in need of help Post 302073803 by JackTup on Wednesday 17th of May 2006 06:10:56 PM
Old 05-17-2006
Hammer & Screwdriver

Thanks for those links System Shock .. I am looking for just such a thing! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

help<newbie>

hello i would like to get a server so i may post websites on the web do i have to pay a lot of money to use someone else's server or is there a way to turn a computer into a basic server please help i am trying to find the most inexpensive way to get my own domain up on the web if this is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: skistar
1 Replies

2. Programming

help<newbie>

i am new to the programing enviroment i know html and some of cgi i would like to know how to creat programs i know nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!! what do i need to get started where can i learn the language what language do i need to learn i tried scheme http://www.htdp.com it did not work out well... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: skistar
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie needs help

hi i need some help on command grep and pipe but the man grep and man pipe doesn't help me much is there any site show more detail help on all the unix command?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: goodman
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I know I'm jsut a newbie, I'm setting up a 1.3 ghz dell as a server. I have experiance using Windows for a webserver, and I was jsut woundering if I would have great difficulty using Unix. is there there like netscape for internet? is there like word? can you listen to Mp3s? can someone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Special K
4 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Hi, I am interested in learning unix and would like some advice on how I would start to learn unix. Therefore, What would be a good (free) unix distribution to install? Would it be better to invest in a packaged Linux distribution (redhat etc) and get the feel for unix this way? Are... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wolf2
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Hello Guys, I just join the unix world today, I had my first lesson on unix today. So expect so much questions from me the next time I log in. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Micko
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

please help me... im a newbie

please help me with my assignment. i have no background with unix programming. so please do help me. here is the problem Develop a utility that will enhance the current file management and organization functions of Linux. You may use existing file management commands to create... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaesen_b23
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie

Hi, I am new to programming and also to perl..But i know 'perl' can come to my rescue, But I am stuck at many places and need help..any small help is much appreciated... below is the description of what i intend to acheive with my script. I have a files named in this format... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: xytiz
13 Replies
Bootloader::Core::GRUB(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Bootloader::Core::GRUB(3)

NAME
Bootlader::Core::GRUB - GRUB library for bootloader configuration PREFACE
This package is the GRUB library of the bootloader configuration SYNOPSIS
use Bootloader::Core::GRUB; "$obj_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->new ();" "$unquoted = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->Unquote ($text);" "$quoted = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->Quote ($text, $when);" "$unix_dev = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->GrubDev2UnixDev ($grub_dev);" "$grub_dev = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->UnixDev2GrubDev ($unix_dev);" "$unix_path = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->GrubPath2UnixPath ($grub_path, $grub_dev_prefix);" "$grub_path = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->UnixPath2GrubPath ($unix_path, $grub_dev_prefix);" "$grub_conf_line_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->CreateGrubConfLine ($target, $discswitch);" "$files_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->ListFiles ();" "$status = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->ParseLines (\%files, $avoid_reading_device_map);" "$files_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->CreateLines ();" "$dev = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->GetCommonDevice (@paths);" "$line = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->CreateKernelLine (\%sectingo, $grub_root);" "$line = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->CreateChainloaderLine (\%sectinfo, $grub_root);" "$disk = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->Partition2Disk ($partition);" "$sectin_info_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->Section2Info (@section_lines);" "$lines_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->Info2Section (\%section_info);" "$glob_info = $Bootloader::Core::GRUB->Global2Info (@glob_lines, @section_names);" "$lines_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->Info2Global (\%section_info, @section_names);" "$settings_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->GetSettings ();" "$status = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->SetSettings (\%settings);" "$status = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->InitializeBootloader ();" "$mountpoint = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->GrubDev2MountPoint ($grub_dev);" DESCRIPTION
"$obj_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->new ();" Creates an instance of the Bootloader::Core::GRUB class. "$unquoted = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->Unquote ($text);" Just override of Bootloader::Core->Unquote function, returning the first parameter. "$quoted = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->Quote ($text, $when);" Just override of Bootloader::Core->Quote function, returning the first parameter. "$allow_afterline_empty = Bootloader::Core->AllowCommentAfterText();" checks if bootloader configuration allow comments after text on line, returns a scalar (1 if true, 0 otherwise). "$unix_dev = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->GrubDev2UnixDev ($grub_dev);" Translates the GRUB device (eg. '(hd0,0)') to UNIX device (eg. '/dev/hda1'). As argument takes the GRUB device, returns the UNIX device (both strings) or argument if translate fail. "$grub_dev = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->UnixDev2GrubDev ($unix_dev);" Translates the UNIX device (eg. '/dev/hda1') to GRUB device (eg. '(hd0,0)'). As argument takes the UNIX device, returns the GRUB device (both strings). "$unix_path = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->GrubPath2UnixPath ($grub_path, $grub_dev_prefix);" Translates the GRUB path (eg. '(hd0,0)/grub/device.map') to UNIX path (eg. '/boot/grub/device.map'). If the GRUB path does not contain the device, the one specified in the argument is used instead. As arguments, the function takes the GRUB path and the device to be used if not specified in the GRUB path, and returns the UNIX path (all strings). "$grub_path = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->UnixPath2GrubPath ($unix_path, $grub_dev_prefix);" Translates the UNIX path (eg. '/boot/grub/device.map') to GRUB path (eg. '(hd0,0)/grub/device.map'). If the device (as specified in GRUB configuration files via the 'root' option) is the same as the device in the resulting path, the resulting path does not contain the device. As arguments, the function takes the UNIX path and the device as specified via 'root' option, and returns the GRUB path (all strings). "$grub_conf_line_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->CreateGrubConfLine ($target, $discswitch);" Creates a hash representing a line of /etc/grub.conf file. As arguments, it takes the device to install GRUB to, and the discswitch argument ('d' or ''). Returns a reference to a hash containing info about the 'install' line. "$files_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->ListFiles ();" Returns the list of the configuration files of the bootloader Returns undef on fail "$status = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->ParseLines (\%files, $avoid_reading_device_map);" Parses the contents of all files and stores the settings in the internal structures. As first argument, it takes a hash reference, where keys are file names and values are references to lists, each member is one line of the file. As second argument, it takes a boolean flag that, if set to a true value, causes it to skip updating the internal device_map information. Returns undef on fail, defined nonzero value on success. "$files_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->CreateLines ();" creates contents of all files from the internal structures. Returns a hash reference in the same format as argument of ParseLines on success, or undef on fail. "$sectin_info_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->Section2Info (@section_lines);" Gets the information about the section. As argument, takes a reference to the list of lines building the section, returns a reference to a hash containing information about the section. "$dev = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->GetCommonDevice (@paths);" Checks all paths given as arguments if they are on the same device. If so, returns the common device, otherwise returns empty string. "$line = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->CreateKernelLine (\%sectingo, $grub_root);" Creates a line with the kernel command for GRUB's menu.lst. As arguments. it takes a hash containing information about the section and the root device specified by the GRUB's root command. Returns the line to be written to menu.lst (without the leading kernel keyword). "$line = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->CreateChainloaderLine (\%sectinfo, $grub_root);" Creates a line with the chainloader command for GRUB's menu.lst. As arguments. it takes a hash containing information about the section and the root device specified by the GRUB's root command. Returns the line to be written to menu.lst (without the leading chainloader keyword). "$disk = Bootloader::Core::Grub->Partition2Disk ($partition);" Gets the disk a partition resides on. As argument, it takes the partition device node (eg. '/dev/hda3'), returns the device node of the disk holding the partition (eg. "/dev/hda"), or undef if checking failed. "$lines_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->Info2Section (\%section_info);" Takes the info about the section and uses it to construct the list of lines. The info about the section also contains the original lines. As parameter, takes the section info (reference to a hash), returns the lines (a list of hashes). "$glob_info = $Bootloader::Core::GRUB->Global2Info (@glob_lines, @section_names);" Gets the general information from the global section of the menu file. This information usually means the default section, graphical menu, timeout etc. As argument it takes a reference to the list of hashes representing lines of the section, returns a reference to a hash containing the important information. "$lines_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->Info2Global (\%section_info, @section_names);" Takes the info about the global options and uses it to construct the list of lines. The info about global option also contains the original lines. As parameter, takes the section info (reference to a hash) and a list of sectino names, returns the lines (a list of hashes). "$settings_ref = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->GetSettings ();" returns the complete settings in a hash. Does not read the settings from the system, but returns internal structures. "$status = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->SetSettings (\%settings);" Stores the settings in the given parameter to the internal structures. Does not touch the system. Returns undef on fail, defined nonzero value on success. "$status = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->InitializeBootloader ();" Initializes the firmware to boot the bootloader. Returns undef on fail, defined nonzero value otherwise "$mountpoint = Bootloader::Core::GRUB->GrubDev2MountPoint ();" creates the mountpoint from a Grub Device (hdX,Y), be it a udev device, a udev link or a device mapper device returns the mountpoint or the grub device, if it couldn't be resolved POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 461: =cut found outside a pod block. Skipping to next block. Around line 467: =cut found outside a pod block. Skipping to next block. perl v5.12.1 2010-05-25 Bootloader::Core::GRUB(3)