Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Linux / tape Block size issue Post 302073802 by rcarpent on Wednesday 17th of May 2006 05:44:31 PM
Old 05-17-2006
Linux / tape Block size issue

Can anyone tell me how to read and change the tape block size attached to a ultrium 2 (Faststor-2 tapedrive). I am using Redhat Linux AS 3.0 Update 7. Smilie

I had a problem doing a recover with our backup software which is AS 3.0 Update 7. The message I received was:

Failed to read 65536 byte block with 32768 byte read. I was told by Networker support to this was a linux issue. so here I am ???

1) How can I read the block size in linux and change it?
2) Where would I change the block size? Would it be on the controller?

Thanks in Advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

question on du for dire. size on tape and drive

Is there a method to see how much data is put on a tape? Or to check and see the size of what you are tarring to tape? I have a script that checks a partition and user's directories and excludes anything under a home/test directory and writes that to a text file, then I call tar and using that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

2. AIX

block size for tape

hello I have a save cartridge (backup) but i don't known what block size has been used with this cartridge. how can i find the block size of this cartridge to restore it ? thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to check the size of the backup from the tape?

Hi, How can I check the size of the databse/filesystem in the tape (4MM or 8MM)? For example, I want to restore some databse/filesystem backup to the system. Before that I wanna check the size of that from the tape.Please help me regarding..... Regards, Sharif. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharif
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tape backup size

How can I tell how much tape is left (or how much tape has been used) after doing a backup? My system is on Solaris 5.8. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Configuration issue with Tape Library in Solaris 10

Env: Server : Sparc Ultra-80 OS: Solaris 10 Direct SCSI connection to Library. Terminator connected at the Tape End. Problem: Unable to see any device file related to Robotic /dev/rsst0. Unable to see any device file /dev/rmt. ------------ Messages while the machine boots sst0: No... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amqstam
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Tape drive config issue

I have a server/domain on a m5000 running Solaris 10. It is part of a cluster. The other cluster member sees tape drives, but this one does not. It is zoned correctly, and I can see the drives are binded in lputil. The st.conf, and devlink.tab are identical. ST.CONF: - # # Copyright... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pfwhufc
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Backup Tape Size

Hello guys anyone know how to check the size of files in the a backup tape?:confused::confused::confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohammad.ak
2 Replies

8. AIX

Issue about PP size

Hello everyone, I have many VGs on my system. I have created them whith the same command. I haven't specified the PP size while creating them. Logically, the PP size should be the same (default value) in all the VGs. However, I have different PP size : 32 MB, 256 MB, 64 MB and 128 MB. Can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: adilyos
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Physical disk IO size smaller than fragment block filesystem size ?

Hello, in one default UFS filesystem we have 8K block size (bsize) and 1K fragmentsize (fsize). At this scenary I thought all "FileSytem IO" will be 8K (or greater) but never smaller than the fragment size (1K). If a UFS fragment/blocksize is allwasy several ADJACENTS sectors on disk (in a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rarino2
4 Replies

10. HP-UX

About Block Size and Fragment Size

Accordingly a lot of manuals - if you have block size 8KB and trying to write a 1KB file to the block, as result you waste 7KB of the block space. But recently I noticed about Fragments of File Block. In same case if you have File Block 8KB and Fragment size 1KB - you can save your block space,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jess_t03
6 Replies