Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Solaris 9 mailx problems
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 9 mailx problems Post 302073800 by caez on Wednesday 17th of May 2006 04:21:15 PM
Old 05-17-2006
Can you email anyone?

Assuming you are on the box, try mailx localhost to make sure sendmail is turned on.

(This would be under root)

If not, you might have some more direction.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx command (Sun Solaris 8)

Hi, I would like to use mailx to send multiple files to one recipient whereas each file should be send as a separate email. mailx -s "Subject" email@user.de < file1 file2 file3 file4 If I use this command email@user.de will receive only file4. And: cat file* | mailx -s .... will combine... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cczerwin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help w/mailx - Sun Solaris

I have this Legato application which generates a file and then it pipes it to mailx. cat << savelog.txt | mailx -s "Saverpt `date +"%c`" myemail@xxx.com The "savelog.txt does get created and is owned by root and other group, but yet will not email using mailx to myemail@xxx.com. Mailx... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gzs553
4 Replies

3. Solaris

mailx on solaris - How to add mail body

hi, Can anyone please tell me how to add some text in the mail body like I can add subject using the following syntax. mailx -s "Hi - This is mail subject" xyz@abc.com Many Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abovais
4 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris Mailx Problem.

I have 4 solaris servers with similar configuration and i configured mailx in all 4 servers. i have made necessery changes in /etc/mail/sendmail.cf. and i added the mail server entry in /etc/hosts file and it is working fine in 3 servers properly. but its not working in 1 server. Everything is fine... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandeep.tk
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Execution problems with Mailx

Unable to send mail using mailx command. I am using solaris 5.9 I am trying to send notification for the scheduled jobs in crob but the mailx is not working. Checked the settings in submit.cf and sendmail.cf but unable to find the solution. Error message root@sshldb # nslookup mailhost... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Srinathkiru
8 Replies

6. Red Hat

mailx on linux just like on solaris/HP

Hello Unix lovers, I want to know if I can have mailx on linux. I am using redhat 6. My sys admin says that mailx is not availble on linux. I see on my linux system mailx is just a link to /bin/Mail program. I want to install mailx just as it is availble on soaris/HP. When my sys... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Mailx help in Solaris

Hi Team, We are with Solaris 10. And presently we are sending mail using the tool mailx -s. Our requirement is we need to send amil with HIGHPRIORITY. SO is there any way to send the mail as HIGHPRIORITY. If not any alternative way instaead of using mailx. Thanks in advance. Regards Bala (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: balagj709
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

Problems sending mail: Difference between Mail and Mailx?

Whats the difference between mail and mailx? I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem where I can send mail from server A with this `echo $MESSAGE | mail -s "$SUBJECT" -r $FROM $RECIPIENTS` command but executing the same command from server B throws me this error (Both servers are RHEL) ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RedSpyder
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Configure mailx in Solaris 10

Hello, We are using exchange server in our environment. I need to configure mailx to send email from Solaris box to one mail I'd which is on exchange server. I know ip of exchange server.. Let me know where should I configure that ip to do the needful? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshsun
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Solaris mailx Configuration

Hi, I need to send an output from Solaris to my email address. For example df -h to be sent out from the Solaris. I was wondering how to configure the mailx and smtp configuration to be setup. Has anyone setup before? Thanks. :confused::confused::confused: (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: freshmeat
0 Replies
comsat(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 comsat(8)

NAME
comsat - The biff server SYNOPSIS
comsat DESCRIPTION
The comsat server receives reports of incoming mail and notifies users who request this service. comsat is invoked by the inetd(8) daemon when it receives messages on a datagram port associated with the biff(1) service specification in /etc/services(4). The datagram contains a 1-line message of the form: user@mailbox-offset If the user specified is logged in and the associated terminal has the owner execute bit turned on (with biff y), offset is used as a seek offset into the file named in mailbox. The first 7 lines or 560 characters of the mes- sage are printed on the user's system. The message excludes mail header lines other than the From or Subject lines. The comsat command always tries to convert incoming mail messages from the mail interchange codeset to the user's application codeset. It determines the mail interchange code first by checking the mail message itself to see if it contains the required information. Otherwise, the system-wide default mail interchange code in the file /usr/lib/mail-codesets will be used. If no such system file exists, no codeset conversion will be performed. The determination of the user's application code in each terminal session is by one of the following methods. The application codeset defined in the user's Asian tty driver. The codeset name stored in the ~/.codesetdevname file, where devname is the name of the terminal device for the current terminal session. You can obtain the value of devname by issuing the tty command. For example, if the tty command returns /dev/ttys8, use ttys8 as the value for devname. The lang valued option defined in $HOME/.mailrc or /usr/share/lib/Mail.rc. FILES
Specifies the command path. Includes information about logged-in users and their associated ttys. File containing mailx subcommands to customize mailx for a specific user. File containing mailx subcommands to change mailx for all users on the system. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: biff(1), inetd(8), mailx(1), mh(1) Files: services(4), inetd.conf(4), tty(7) delim off comsat(8)