Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: rsh between systems
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting rsh between systems Post 302073782 by Bacchus on Wednesday 17th of May 2006 01:40:13 PM
Old 05-17-2006
Well, I don't know about the error but the info you need in the .rhosts file is as follows..

<remote_hostname> <username>

That's all. So, if I'm on Server_A, username "Bacchus" and I want to log onto Server_B I need a .rhosts file with "Server_A Bacchus" in my home directory (on Server_B). This means, Server B will accept username "Bacchus" from "Server_A". Hope it helps.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with rsh

I am trying to run a Perl script using rsh. I need to be able to capture the return code value, so the calling script can handle failures properly. I cannot modify the Perl script I need to run because we use it for all of our servers. Does anyone have a suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kscase
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rsh

Hi, on .rhosts file of server2 I have : server1 user server1 root when I want to issu rsh from server1 to server2 : 1-If I'm root it is OK. 2-if I'm ordinary user I receive permission denied. What is the problem ? What is the solution ? Many thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about rsh

I have two host ( hostA and hostB ) , now hostA can use " rsh -l userB hostB " to rsh to hostB without input the password , it work fine, but if I modify it to " rsh -l userB hostB -n "ls" " , it will pop the message "Permission denied." , could suggest what is wrong ? thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

where is rsh

Hi, when a user use rsh command (or any other) , where is the executable used by him ? Many thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rsh

Hi All, I want to execute a command from my Windows machine to Linux machine using RSH only d:> rsh <Linux machine add> -l <user_name> pwd>dir in linux machine users home directory in .rhosts file I entered the windows machine IP address and user name. In linux etc/hosts.equiv file I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

6. AIX

Rsh

How to configure rsh for different users in aix? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
4 Replies

7. Solaris

rsh

How to enable rsh in solaris (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
7 Replies

8. Red Hat

Rsh

Hi, I issue : rsh ****.16.0.151 -l root ls -l /tmp and I receive : connect to address ***.16.0.151: Connection refused Trying krb4 rsh... In hosts file of remote (***.16.0.151) I have : ***.16.0.202 root Can you help me ? Thank you. (0 Replies)
0 Replies

9. What is on Your Mind?

From Systems Admin to Systems Eng.

I have been wondering how do Systems Administrators do the jump into Systems Engineering? Is it only a matter of time and experience or could I actually help myself get there? Opinions? Books I could read? Thanks a lot for your help! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: svalenciatech
0 Replies

10. Linux

RSH

Hi All, Whenever we are giving rsh localhost date , it give an error "Permission Denied". RHEL 6 is the version, and we're logging in as "root". in .rhosts file I have mentioned all the details, and enabled rsh,rsync,rexec,rlogin in /etc/xinetd.d/ file Please suggest. Reg, Muzaffar (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: muzaffar.k
7 Replies
HOSTS.EQUIV(5)						      BSD File Formats Manual						    HOSTS.EQUIV(5)

NAME
hosts.equiv, .rhosts -- trusted remote host and user name data base DESCRIPTION
The hosts.equiv and .rhosts files contain information regarding trusted hosts and users on the network. For each host a single line should be present with the following information: simple hostname [username] or the more verbose [+-][hostname|@netgroup] [[+-][username|@netgroup]] A ``@'' indicates a host by netgroup or user by netgroup. A single ``+'' matches all hosts or users. A host name with a leading ``-'' will reject all matching hosts and all their users. A user name with leading ``-'' will reject all matching users from matching hosts. Items are separated by any number of blanks and/or tab characters. A ``#'' indicates the beginning of a comment; characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by routines which search the file. Host names are specified in the conventional Internet DNS dotted-domains ``.'' (dot) notation using the inet_addr(3) routine from the Inter- net address manipulation library, inet(3). Host names may contain any printable character other than a field delimiter, newline, or comment character. For security reasons, a user's .rhosts file will be ignored if it is not a regular file, or if it is not owned by the user, or if it is writable by anyone other than the user. FILES
/etc/hosts.equiv The hosts.equiv file resides in /etc. $HOME/.rhosts .rhosts file resides in $HOME. EXAMPLES
bar.com foo Trust user ``foo'' from host ``bar.com''. +@allclient Trust all hosts from netgroup ``allclient''. +@allclient -@dau Trust all hosts from netgroup ``allclient'' and their users except users from netgroup ``dau''. SEE ALSO
rcp(1), rlogin(1), rsh(1), gethostbyname(3), inet(3), innetgr(3), ruserok(3), netgroup(5), ifconfig(8), yp(8) BUGS
This manual page is incomplete. For more information read the source in src/lib/libc/net/rcmd.c or the SunOS manual page. BSD
December 25, 2013 BSD