Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 verse older versions Post 302073673 by x96riley3 on Tuesday 16th of May 2006 04:19:59 PM
Old 05-16-2006
Solaris 10 verse older versions

So if everything in Solaris 10 is dynamically linked then I have a question.

If /sbin/sh in Solaris 9 and lower are statically linked and I lose my /usr libraries the system is still recoverable cause I can use root.

If /sbin/sh in Solaris 10 is dynamically linked and I lose my /usr libraries the system is completely hosed.

The reason is because I'm want to change the default /sbin/sh shell to korn and since everything in 10 is dynamic, there should be no problems right?

-X

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris versions

Hi, Does anyone know if the various releases of Solaris are archived anywhere? I work for a DR company and it would be useful to have different releases of a Solaris version number i.e. Solaris 10 6/06 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: callmebob
3 Replies

2. Solaris

How to know which versions we are using c, c++ in Solaris.

How to know which versions we are using c, c++ in Solaris. Thanks & Regards Durgaprasad (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to delete older versions of unique files

I have directory where new sub directories and files being created every few minutes. The directories are like abc_date, def_date, ghi_date. I am looking to keep the latest 2 unique directories and delete everything else. Here is what I have so far This gives me unique names excluding the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzstore
5 Replies

4. Solaris

how to get older solaris 10_recommended patch clusters??

Guys, I have an old program which has pretty specific instructions that it requires solaris10u4 and the recommended patch cluster releases in april 2008. I have installed solari10u4, and my questions are :- 1. If i upgrade to the latest patch release would have an impact on the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umaars
0 Replies

5. Solaris

solaris versions interpretation

Hi What means Solaris 10 5/09 and Solaris 10 10/09, I mean the suffix 5/09 and 10/09 ? thx for help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: presul
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris and vxvm ( really old versions)

This is going to mean nothing to most.... I'm working on a E4500 server running Solaris 2.5.1 and VXVM 2.5.5 :eek: I've replaced the rootmirror and would like to monitor progress of the resync It's only a 2Gb /partition so it shouldn't take too long. In later versions vxtask list ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Martincorneuk
5 Replies

7. Solaris

Upgrading Solaris - what happens to zpool/zfs versions

Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've googled lots and don't think I can find an easy answer to this. We're in the process of upgrading Solaris from v10 5/08 to v10 9/10. The zpools for luns are currently at version 10, and I understand Solaris v10 9/10 has support for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: badoshi
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Available design options for a cluster hosting many different virtualized Solaris versions

Good day, everyone, and thanks first off for reading my question. So, I have been Googling and reading oracle documentation for the past couple weeks, and I am just getting more and more confused as to what I need to do, and I would really appreciate some guidance or at least pointing me to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lyxix
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Versions of Oracle VM with Solaris 11?

I guess since its part of OS it depends on OS installed. I understand from OVS for Sparc 3.0 onwards you can use OV Manager (latest) to manage? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
1 Replies

10. AIX

Older versions of the XL C/C++ Evaluation for AIX 5.3

Hello, IBM offers a evaluation version of their XL C/C++ compiler. Unfortunatly v16.1 (from Developerworks) can not be installed on AIX 5.3 (I can not upgrade my old 32 Bit RS/6000 to a later version) and I have not found any older versions on the IBM and Developerworks pages. Is there a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: eh2scqw
8 Replies
LDCONFIG(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						       LDCONFIG(8)

NAME
/sbin/ldconfig - configure dynamic linker run-time bindings SYNOPSIS
/sbin/ldconfig [ -nNvXV ] [ -f conf ] [ -C cache ] [ -r root ] directory ... /sbin/ldconfig -l [ -v ] library ... /sbin/ldconfig -p DESCRIPTION
ldconfig creates the necessary links and cache to the most recent shared libraries found in the directories specified on the command line, in the file /etc/ld.so.conf, and in the trusted directories (/lib and /usr/lib). The cache is used by the run-time linker, ld.so or ld- linux.so. ldconfig checks the header and filenames of the libraries it encounters when determining which versions should have their links updated. ldconfig will attempt to deduce the type of ELF libs (i.e., libc5 or libc6/glibc) based on what C libs, if any, the library was linked against. Some existing libs do not contain enough information to allow the deduction of their type. Therefore, the /etc/ld.so.conf file format allows the specification of an expected type. This is only used for those ELF libs which we can not work out. The format is "dirname=TYPE", where TYPE can be libc4, libc5, or libc6. (This syntax also works on the command line.) Spaces are not allowed. Also see the -p option. ldconfig should normally be run by the superuser as it may require write permission on some root owned directories and files. OPTIONS
-v Verbose mode. Print current version number, the name of each directory as it is scanned, and any links that are created. Overrides quiet mode. -n Only process directories specified on the command line. Don't process the trusted directories (/lib and /usr/lib) nor those speci- fied in /etc/ld.so.conf. Implies -N. -N Don't rebuild the cache. Unless -X is also specified, links are still updated. -X Don't update links. Unless -N is also specified, the cache is still rebuilt. -f conf Use conf instead of /etc/ld.so.conf. -C cache Use cache instead of /etc/ld.so.cache. -r root Change to and use root as the root directory. -l Library mode. Manually link individual libraries. Intended for use by experts only. -p Print the lists of directories and candidate libraries stored in the current cache. FILES
/lib/ld.so run-time linker/loader /etc/ld.so.conf File containing a list of colon, space, tab, newline, or comma-separated directories in which to search for libraries. /etc/ld.so.cache File containing an ordered list of libraries found in the directories specified in /etc/ld.so.conf, as well as those found in /lib and /usr/lib. SEE ALSO
ldd(1), ld.so(8) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2009-04-15 LDCONFIG(8)