Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: True Shutdown help!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers True Shutdown help! Post 302073567 by 01000101 on Monday 15th of May 2006 07:36:25 PM
Old 05-15-2006
im running slackware 3.3, its my personal laptop, no server-side anything.
im logged in as root most of the time, im not in a situation where im physically interacting with the laptop at the moment, so i cannot respond to the uname -a part, but i will in a little later..

and shutdown -h now.... just means to halt now... ive tried that, as well as shutdown -n -h now in hopes to give a quick kill, but to no avail..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh [ HP True 64 v5.1 ] and HP-UX B.11.11i

Hi Friends, We have migrated our Unix from HP True 64 v5.1 to HP-UX B.11.11i recently and copied all my shell scripts ( Korn shell ) to new HP-UX B.11.11i unix machine. I've encountered lot of errors during execution of the scripts for example: cat x.sh #!/usr/bin/ksh if then echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

true dummie calling

hi i think this will make me seem dummier than most, actually i don't even understand most of the posts in the dummie section... i have a project and i need to learn fortran programming, im working on a windows xp pc and so i have installed cygwin. and the cygwin site basically says learn unix so... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holyhive
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is it true or not

I have heard for a long time that in maybe 2039 Unix will no longer be useable due the length of the date value. Anyone know anything about this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhlopomo
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to exit a while true loop

Hi guys, I'm new to unix but loving it!! BUT this is driving me nuts as i can't work out the best way to do it. I have a while true loop that i use to monitor something. For my own reasons in ths script i have disabled the CTRL C using the trap command. But i want to put in a option to exit... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Noob e
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Funny but true....

Hallo everybody I am having a shell script called auto_run.sh in that only the first line works. the second line which has sed command is working only at the # prompt. not within the shell script. What could be the reason. *... sed 's/ //g' KTI >abc works in another shell script without the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naushad
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to force Oracle database shutdown when shutdown immediate does not work

I have Oracle 9i R2 on AIX 5.2. My Database is running in shared server mode (MTS). Sometimes when I shutdown the database it shutsdown cleanly in 4-5 mints and sometimes it takes good 15-20 minutes and then I get some ora-600 errors and only way to shutdown is by opening another session and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: aixhp
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

loop until true

Hi I need help with a script to loop unitl the statement is true done some thing like this until if then cp filename filename.anto fi done Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: antointoronto
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

While loop true problem

hi, i am new in bash scripting. i am trying to write a Bash script to monitor how many process are running in my Redhat6 Linux machine. example : let say there must be always 5 process from the same kind that must run and if one off them fails down the script must wake up another process... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zigizag
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Explaination on if true

Hi Team, I need to know why ppl use If true loop instead of just writing down the sequence of code lines. 1: echo "Line1" if true; then echo "Line2" fi echo "Line3" 2: echo "Line1" echo "Line2" echo "Line3" Could you explain what does the if true loop make difference in 1st compare... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandana hs
3 Replies
CPU_REBOOT(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					     CPU_REBOOT(9)

NAME
cpu_reboot -- halt or reboot the system SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/reboot.h> void cpu_reboot(int howto, char *bootstr); DESCRIPTION
The cpu_reboot() function handles final system shutdown, and either halts or reboots the system. The exact action to be taken is determined by the flags passed in howto and by whether or not the system has finished autoconfiguration. If the system has finished autoconfiguration, cpu_reboot() does the following: 1. Sets the boothowto system variable (see boothowto(9)) from the howto argument. 2. If this is the first invocation of cpu_reboot() and the RB_NOSYNC flag is not set in howto, syncs and unmounts the system disks by calling vfs_shutdown(9) and sets the time of day clock by calling resettodr(9). 3. Disables interrupts. 4. If rebooting after a crash (i.e., if RB_DUMP is set in howto, but RB_HALT is not), saves a system crash dump. 5. Runs any shutdown hooks by calling pmf_system_shutdown(9). 6. Prints a message indicating that the system is about to be halted or rebooted. 7. If RB_HALT is set in howto, halts the system. Otherwise, reboots the system. If the system has not finished autoconfiguration, cpu_reboot() runs any shutdown hooks by calling pmf_system_shutdown(9), prints a message, and halts the system. If RB_STRING is set in howto, then the parameter bootstr is passed to the system boot loader on some ports. SEE ALSO
boothowto(9), dumpsys(9), pmf_system_shutdown(9), resettodr(9), vfs_shutdown(9) BSD
February 11, 2010 BSD