Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux GNU's Not Unix! - The Free Software Foundation Post 302073559 by System Shock on Monday 15th of May 2006 03:51:08 PM
Old 05-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synbios
I don't understand where the G is derived from..
The G doesn't stand for anything.
The G is there simply to make the acronym an actual word. Gnu is an actual word (name of a type of antelope). Any other letter, and the acronym wouldn't work as a word.

anu
bnu
cnu
dnu
enu
fnu

... you get the idea.

Last edited by System Shock; 05-15-2006 at 04:56 PM..

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

want to know hot to get free unix software

:mad: :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rolando
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Free UNIX software with oracle

Hi Friends, is there any site for download the UNIX operating system with Oracle database. if yes, Please send me the link for download the free Oracle software in UNIX environment. Thanks MPS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: psiva_arul
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Free unix software

I used to have a free software on my computer to practice unix. Unfortunately, I had to rebuild the laptop after it was infected by a virus. Now I cannot remember the website where to download the software. Can anyone point me to a site? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ernst
2 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

Free Radius Software (GNU)

hi i have heared that there is a package called freeradius used for authenticating!!! actually i want to learn more about it but i cant find details on how to use it? is it based on client server model i.e should i have to install in both client and the server machines ? i am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u.n.i.x
2 Replies
SQL::ReservedWords::DB2(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation			      SQL::ReservedWords::DB2(3pm)

NAME
SQL::ReservedWords::DB2 - Reserved SQL words by DB2 SYNOPSIS
if ( SQL::ReservedWords::DB2->is_reserved( $word ) ) { print "$word is a reserved DB2 word!"; } DESCRIPTION
Determine if words are reserved by DB2. METHODS
is_reserved( $word ) Returns a boolean indicating if $word is reserved by either DB2 5, 6, 7 or 8. is_reserved_by_db2v5( $word ) Returns a boolean indicating if $word is reserved by DB2 5. is_reserved_by_db2v6( $word ) Returns a boolean indicating if $word is reserved by DB2 6. is_reserved_by_db2v7( $word ) Returns a boolean indicating if $word is reserved by DB2 7. is_reserved_by_db2v8( $word ) Returns a boolean indicating if $word is reserved by DB2 8. reserved_by( $word ) Returns a list with DB2 versions that reserves $word. words Returns a list with all reserved words. EXPORTS
Nothing by default. Following subroutines can be exported: is_reserved is_reserved_by_db2v5 is_reserved_by_db2v6 is_reserved_by_db2v7 is_reserved_by_db2v8 reserved_by words SEE ALSO
SQL::ReservedWords <http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/udb/> AUTHOR
Christian Hansen "chansen@cpan.org" COPYRIGHT
This program is free software, you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.8.8 2008-03-28 SQL::ReservedWords::DB2(3pm)