Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is there such thing as Global Env Variable for all users? Post 302073328 by bdsffl on Thursday 11th of May 2006 09:31:35 PM
Old 05-11-2006
You should be able to set global env vars in /etc/profile if logging
in under the ksh shell or /etc/.login under the csh shell.

These files are used at login prior to executing the users local
environment.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting global variable for all users

hi, i am a newbie unix administrator. i want to set a variable, let's say : alias cls 'clear' But i am not going to add this line in the .login file for every home directory of my 500+ users. pls tell me where should i put this line in, so that all users can use this variable after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Managing Users in a Global Environment

Hello, I am interested in your strategy for handling engineers Unix accounts when the engineers must log in to resources in a variety of locals in a global environment. The engineers home directory and normal environment is local to where the engineer is sitting. When they log in to a remote... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Randal
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Root ENV is different from users', how to change?

Hello, I'm working on a Solaris 9 machine. I found the root's environment variables (say, $PATH, $ORACLE_HOME, big problem) were set differently from the users'. All regular users use C shell now and share the same environment file stored in /usr/local/config/cshrc.default. Should I just use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanlh
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Env Variable

Hi, I have a doubt on Environment variable. I want to know where and when the envirnment variables are defined? Thanks & Regards, Siba (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt on ENV variable

Question 1: If I set ENV=$HOME/myenvprofile.ksh, will my script get executed when ever I login to my with KSH. My doubt is we used to put this in .profile of our home directory. SO when ever I login will it executed? QUestion 2: If I set ENV=`echo "hi"` or 'echo "hi" ', what would be the output.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing Global Env Variable

Greetings: I need to remove 'RUBYOPT' env variable to install MacRuby. I see it via $env (tchrc). I checked my (local) .tcshrc, .login, .profile files: not defined there. Apparently, it's not set locally. I know this RUBYOPT is global, since I can see it in another account on my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: UncleRic
4 Replies

7. Solaris

How to access ENV variables of non global zones in global zone???

Hi Guys, My requirement is I have file called /opt/orahome/.profile in non global zone. PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:. export PATH PS1="\${ORACLE_SID}:`hostname`:\$PWD$ " export PS1 EDITOR=vi export EDITOR ENV=/opt/orahome/.kshrc export ENV... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Env variable

Hello, I want to cange env variable on SunOS. I tried: export GONGA=$GONGA:/users/BANK1/basic/queues/SARON_SPACE1 it changed it only localy for my session. when i opened a new session (telnet etc') the old value exist. How can I change it to effact all sessions. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
2 Replies

9. Web Development

Deny from env=env-variable Does not work

(Above from Apache docs). On my system, using: SetEnvIf User-Agent Mozilla IsBad=1 Order allow,deny Allow from all Deny from env=IsBad ...I see that environment variable is set (using phpinfo()) but the page is still served. No errors in the Apache logs. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnurob
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Treat value of variable as env variable

Hi All, I have a requirement where I have a config file, which contains 2 coulmn.values of first column are environmnet variable, whose value is defined in an environment file. In my script I need to read the config file, and get the value of the config file variable from env file. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok2082
2 Replies
suspend(1)							   User Commands							suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)