Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users format unix hard drive on windows xp Post 302073320 by zippy138 on Thursday 11th of May 2006 06:49:50 PM
Old 05-11-2006
partition magic wont do it

you need to use Acronis Disk Suite software, I know it will copy linux partitons, might work for what you are doing.

I know partition magic wont do it tho..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

seperate hard drive for unix & x windows

thanks for your help, i didnt realise you could download the operating system from sun.com:D Ive just had a new hard drive installed 20 GIG for unix and x windows. How can i connect this hard drive for unix and x windows only? and are there any helpful tutorials for starters?? Many thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffersno1
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Format Hard Drive in Linux

What Command do I need to use to Format my hard Drive in Linux. Please help me out. -Regards -Iftikhar:) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: syedifti
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Wiping UNIX Hard Drive

Hello all, Maybe someone can help? Please?!?!? How do I wipe a UNIX hard drive, For dos I use Norton. Is there something like that for UNIX. I am just barley understanding UNIX, so please forgive my ignorance. Also, is there a government approved method of sanitization? Thanks (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocky123
10 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Formatting hard drive from Unix to Windows

Can a hard drive be formatted from unix server to windows 2000 professional? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: howarddtp
4 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

The best partitioning schem for a 250GB Sata hard drive & a 75GB SCSI hard drive

Hi I have 2 75GB SCSI hard drives and 2 250GB SATA hard drives which are using RAID Level 1 respectively. I wana have both FTP and Apache installed on them as services. I'm wondering what's the best partitioning schem? I wana use FC3 as my OS, so, I thought I can use the 75GB hard drive as the /... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbijan
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Connecting Hard drive to Windows

Ok i have a bad slice on my solaris 10 hard drive. And that so happens to be where the data is that i need. there are 10 corrupt block that are not allowing it to mount. I tried everything fro ufsdump to fsck -Y -o f and nothing works. so i took the drive out and plugged it into a external USB ->... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Can not Format USB hard drive

Hey i have a new USB 320GB harddrive i want to use in my Solaris 10 enviroment. i first had the drive format in windows with FAT32, Solaris was able to auto mount this drive and everything was fine, until i realised that it would not except files greater then 4gb, due to the limitations of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dshakey
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy everything from remote Linux to external hard drive in windows

Hi, I`m trying to copy an entire directory(with numerous files, folders and subfolders etc, a content size of 500gigs) from a linux machine running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 to an external hard drive on my windows. I downloaded and installed psftp on my windows and I can login using psftp... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie83
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to move .csv file from UNIX path to windows shared drive or c:\ drive

Hi Guys, Can any one help me on this. I need help to move .csv/.xls file from unix path to windows shared drive or c:\ drive? Regards, LKR (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lakshmanraok117
1 Replies
WIPEFS(8)						       System Administration							 WIPEFS(8)

NAME
wipefs - wipe a signature from a device SYNOPSIS
wipefs [-ahnpqtV] [-o offset] device... DESCRIPTION
wipefs can erase filesystem, raid or partition-table signatures (magic strings) from the specified device to make the signatures invisible for libblkid. wipefs does not erase the filesystem itself nor any other data from the device. When used without options -a or -o, it lists all visible filesystems and the offsets of their basic signatures. wipefs calls BLKRRPART ioctl when erase partition table to inform kernel about the change. Note that some filesystems or some partition tables store more magic strings on the devices. The wipefs command lists only the first off- set where a magic string has been detected. The device is not scanned for additional magic strings for the same filesystem. It is possi- ble that after wipefs -o offset the same filesystem or partition table will still be visible by another magic string on another offset. When used with option -a, all magic strings that are visible for libblkid are erased. OPTIONS
-a, --all Erase all available signatures. The set of erased signatures can be restricted with the -t list option. -f, --force Force erasure, even if the filesystem is mounted. This is required in order to erase the partition table on a block device. -h, --help Print help and exit. -n, --no-act Causes everything to be done except for the write() call. -o, --offset offset Specify the location (in bytes) of the signature which should be erased from the device. The offset number may include a "0x" pre- fix; then the number will be interpreted as a hex value. It is possible to specify multiple -o options. The offset argument may be followed by the multiplicative suffixes KiB (=1024), MiB (=1024*1024), and so on for GiB, TiB, PiB, EiB, ZiB and YiB (the "iB" is optional, e.g. "K" has the same meaning as "KiB"), or the suffixes KB (=1000), MB (=1000*1000), and so on for GB, TB, PB, EB, ZB and YB. -p, --parsable Print out in parsable instead of printable format. Encode all potentially unsafe characters of a string to the corresponding hex value prefixed by 'x'. -q, --quiet Suppress output messages after successful signature wipe. -t, --types list Limit the set of printed or erased signatures. More than one type may be specified in a comma-separated list. The list or individ- ual types can be prefixed with 'no' to specify the types on which no action should be taken. For more details see mount(8). -V, --version Output version information and exit. AUTHOR
Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> ENVIRONMENT
Setting LIBBLKID_DEBUG=0xffff enables debug output. SEE ALSO
blkid(8), findfs(8) AVAILABILITY
The wipefs command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux October 2009 WIPEFS(8)