Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users want to view the escape sequence Post 302073259 by ranj@chn on Thursday 11th of May 2006 10:35:36 AM
Old 05-11-2006
use od

od -c filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape sequence

Hi, I have got an application through which an user will submit an address like "c:\tuser\abc". This application calls a script and passes the address to the scripts positional parameter say $1. So $1 should contain "c:\tuser\abc", but when $1 is echoed the "\t" and "\a" are interpreted to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: puspendu
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Both HOME and INSERT key send same escape sequence on ssh

I couldn't seem to make 'HOME' key work on my remote windows ssh client to a Fedora Core3 server (the home key works perfectly when i'm physically on site.) To my surprise, using control+V it seems that both my home and insert key send the same escape sequence ^So it must be my windows SSH client... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: grossgermany
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

escape sequence for $

Hi all, I have a requirement where the variable name starts with $, like $Amd=/home/student/test/ How to work wit it? can some one help me, am in gr8 confusion:confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shreekrishnagd
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing Escape Sequence Characters

Hi All, I have added the script command to user profile so that to record the on-screen data.But when i i checked the O/P i could see lot of escape sequence is there way to remove it. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cutechaps
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with escape sequence for '$' symbol in EGREP function

$table is the variable which contains name of the file. Filename may have the special character $. Need to escape $ . Tried below options to escape dollar: \$$table "\$"$table"" what is the escape sequence for egrep function..? Below is the code snippet- my $table; foreach... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xylus77
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

Grep doesn't understand escape sequence?

I ran the following grep and sed command. grep "\t" emp.txt sed -n '/\t/p' emp.txt grep treated the '\' as to escape t and took the pattern as literal t whereas sed took the pattern as tab. That means , grep doesn't understand escape sequence!!!!!! what to do to make grep... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravisingh
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore escape sequence in sed

Friends, In the file i am having more then 100 lines like, File1 had the values like this: #Example East.server_01=EAST.SERVER_01 East.server_01=EAST.SERVER_01 West.server_01=WEST.SERVER_01 File2 had the values like this: #Example EAST.SERVER_01=http://yahoo.com... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jothi basu
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Escape Sequence for Capital Letters Input at Shell Not Working

Hello, I am running Solaris 8. When issuing the command "stty lcase" all text which is output to the terminal are capitalized. Letters that are supposed to be capitals are preceded by a backslash during output. All text which is input is converted to lower case. This is the expected behaviour... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rstor
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape Sequence Overide in XML file

Hi I am try to use sed to remove decleration information from an XML file however their are special characters in the string and sed is not able to parse it . I am using the following commond. sed -e "s/xmlns=http://www.abc.com/integration/services/testtemplate1//g" Orginal.xml... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmyb
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escape sequence for Function keys - terminfo

Having a doubt on how Function keys are mapped. 1. In my HPUX box my infocmp shows that kf1 (F1 key mapping) is not mapped. But somehow I am able to use an Informix form which requires navigation using F1 keys. vt100-w|vt100-w-am|dec vt100 132 cols (w/advanced video), bce, bw, ccc,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: clemansy
3 Replies
test(1F)							   FMLI Commands							  test(1F)

NAME
test - condition evaluation command SYNOPSIS
test expression expression DESCRIPTION
test evaluates the expression expression and if its value is true, sets a 0 (TRUE) exit status; otherwise, a non-zero (FALSE) exit status is set; test also sets a non-zero exit status if there are no arguments. When permissions are tested, the effective user ID of the process is used. All operators, flags, and brackets (brackets used as shown in the second SYNOPSIS line) must be separate arguments to test. Normally these items are separated by spaces. USAGE
Primitives The following primitives are used to construct expression: -r filename True if filename exists and is readable. -w filename True if filename exists and is writable. -x filename True if filename exists and is executable. -f filename True if filename exists and is a regular file. -d filename True if filename exists and is a directory. -c filename True if filename exists and is a character special file. -b filename True if filename exists and is a block special file. -p filename True if filename exists and is a named pipe (FIFO). -u filename True if filename exists and its set-user-ID bit is set. -g filename True if filename exists and its set-group-ID bit is set. -k filename True if filename exists and its sticky bit is set. -s filename True if filename exists and has a size greater than 0. -t[fildes] True if the open file whose file descriptor number is fildes (1 by default) is associated with a terminal device. -z s1 True if the length of string s1 is 0. -n s1 True if the length of the string s1 is non-zero. s1 = s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 True if s1 is not the null string. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. Any of the comparisons -ne, -gt, -ge, -lt, and -le may be used in place of -eq. Operators These primaries may be combined with the following operators: ! Unary negation operator. -a Binary and operator. -o Binary or operator (-a has higher precedence than -o). `(expression)` Parentheses for grouping. Notice also that parentheses are meaningful to the shell and, therefore, must be quoted. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
find(1), sh(1), attributes(5) NOTES
If you test a file you own (the -r , -w , or -x tests), but the permission tested does not have the owner bit set, a non-zero (false) exit status will be returned even though the file may have the group or other bit set for that permission. The correct exit status will be set if you are super-user. The = and != operators have a higher precedence than the -r through -n operators, and = and != always expect arguments; therefore, = and != cannot be used with the -r through -n operators. If more than one argument follows the -r through -n operators, only the first argument is examined; the others are ignored, unless a -a or a -o is the second argument. SunOS 5.10 5 Jul 1990 test(1F)