Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is there such thing as Global Env Variable for all users? Post 302073202 by umen on Thursday 11th of May 2006 02:31:09 AM
Old 05-11-2006
Is there such thing as Global Env Variable for all users?

Hello
im using SunOS and its great , I know I can setenv global environment variable per user
but my question is can I setenv global environment variable in more higher level ( maybe some kind of root user or something) so that every users will
see the same value of this global env

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting global variable for all users

hi, i am a newbie unix administrator. i want to set a variable, let's say : alias cls 'clear' But i am not going to add this line in the .login file for every home directory of my 500+ users. pls tell me where should i put this line in, so that all users can use this variable after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: champion
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Managing Users in a Global Environment

Hello, I am interested in your strategy for handling engineers Unix accounts when the engineers must log in to resources in a variety of locals in a global environment. The engineers home directory and normal environment is local to where the engineer is sitting. When they log in to a remote... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Randal
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Root ENV is different from users', how to change?

Hello, I'm working on a Solaris 9 machine. I found the root's environment variables (say, $PATH, $ORACLE_HOME, big problem) were set differently from the users'. All regular users use C shell now and share the same environment file stored in /usr/local/config/cshrc.default. Should I just use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanlh
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Env Variable

Hi, I have a doubt on Environment variable. I want to know where and when the envirnment variables are defined? Thanks & Regards, Siba (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Doubt on ENV variable

Question 1: If I set ENV=$HOME/myenvprofile.ksh, will my script get executed when ever I login to my with KSH. My doubt is we used to put this in .profile of our home directory. SO when ever I login will it executed? QUestion 2: If I set ENV=`echo "hi"` or 'echo "hi" ', what would be the output.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramkrix
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing Global Env Variable

Greetings: I need to remove 'RUBYOPT' env variable to install MacRuby. I see it via $env (tchrc). I checked my (local) .tcshrc, .login, .profile files: not defined there. Apparently, it's not set locally. I know this RUBYOPT is global, since I can see it in another account on my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: UncleRic
4 Replies

7. Solaris

How to access ENV variables of non global zones in global zone???

Hi Guys, My requirement is I have file called /opt/orahome/.profile in non global zone. PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:. export PATH PS1="\${ORACLE_SID}:`hostname`:\$PWD$ " export PS1 EDITOR=vi export EDITOR ENV=/opt/orahome/.kshrc export ENV... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijaysachin
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Env variable

Hello, I want to cange env variable on SunOS. I tried: export GONGA=$GONGA:/users/BANK1/basic/queues/SARON_SPACE1 it changed it only localy for my session. when i opened a new session (telnet etc') the old value exist. How can I change it to effact all sessions. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LiorAmitai
2 Replies

9. Web Development

Deny from env=env-variable Does not work

(Above from Apache docs). On my system, using: SetEnvIf User-Agent Mozilla IsBad=1 Order allow,deny Allow from all Deny from env=IsBad ...I see that environment variable is set (using phpinfo()) but the page is still served. No errors in the Apache logs. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gnurob
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Treat value of variable as env variable

Hi All, I have a requirement where I have a config file, which contains 2 coulmn.values of first column are environmnet variable, whose value is defined in an environment file. In my script I need to read the config file, and get the value of the config file variable from env file. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alok2082
2 Replies
GETENV(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 						 GETENV(3)

NAME
getenv, putenv, setenv, unsetenv -- environment variable functions LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> char * getenv(const char *name); int setenv(const char *name, const char *value, int overwrite); int putenv(char *string); int unsetenv(const char *name); DESCRIPTION
These functions set, unset and fetch environment variables from the host environment list. The getenv() function obtains the current value of the environment variable, name. The application should not modify the string pointed to by the getenv() function. The setenv() function inserts or resets the environment variable name in the current environment list. If the variable name does not exist in the list, it is inserted with the given value. If the variable does exist, the argument overwrite is tested; if overwrite is zero, the variable is not reset, otherwise it is reset to the given value. The putenv() function takes an argument of the form ``name=value'' and is equivalent to: setenv(name, value, 1); The string pointed to by string becomes part of the environment. A program should not alter or free the string, and should not use stack or other transient string variables as arguments to putenv(). The setenv() function is strongly preferred to putenv(). The unsetenv() function deletes all instances of the variable name pointed to by name from the list. Note that only the variable name (e.g., "NAME") should be given; "NAME=value" will not work. RETURN VALUES
The getenv() function returns the value of the environment variable as a NUL-terminated string. If the variable name is not in the current environment, NULL is returned. The setenv(), putenv(), and unsetenv() functions return the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
[EINVAL] The function getenv(), setenv() or unsetenv() failed because the name is a NULL pointer, points to an empty string, or points to a string containing an ``='' character. The function putenv() failed because string is a NULL pointer or string is without an ``='' character. [ENOMEM] The function setenv(), unsetenv() or putenv() failed because it was unable to allocate memory for the environment. LEGACY SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> void unsetenv(const char *name); unsetenv() doesn't return a value. COMPATIBILITY
putenv() no longer copies its input buffer. This often appears in crash logs as a crash in getenv(). Avoid passing local buffers or freeing the memory that is passed to putenv(). Use setenv(), which still makes an internal copy of its buffers. unsetenv() no longer parses the variable name; e.g., unsetenv ("FOO=BAR") no longer works. Use unsetenv("FOO"). unsetenv() also now returns a status value and will set errno to EINVAL if name is not a defined environment variable. SEE ALSO
csh(1), sh(1), execve(2), compat(5), environ(7) STANDARDS
The getenv() function conforms to ISO/IEC 9899:1990 (``ISO C90''). The setenv(), putenv() and unsetenv() functions conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
The functions setenv() and unsetenv() appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. The putenv() function appeared in 4.3BSD-Reno. BUGS
Successive calls to setenv() that assign a larger-sized value than any previous value to the same name will result in a memory leak. The FreeBSD semantics for this function (namely, that the contents of value are copied and that old values remain accessible indefinitely) make this bug unavoidable. Future versions may eliminate one or both of these semantic guarantees in order to fix the bug. BSD
June 20, 2007 BSD