Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting parsing output from ls command Post 302073129 by matrixmadhan on Wednesday 10th of May 2006 09:57:42 AM
Old 05-10-2006
Quote:
I have to test the directory name which is obtained from

for dir in `ls -l|grep $9 '
i need to check whether it is directory ( [ -d dir ]

if yes, I have to check the first 3 character fo the directory

how can I do that? Please help me

thanks
your statement is not clear !!!
to list dirs ls -l | grep ^d

what abt this ?
Quote:
if yes, I have to check the first 3 character fo the directory
Can you please be some more specific?
If possible with an example.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing output from a diff command...

hi, i have a script which pipes the output of a diff -rq command into a separate file/ it would read something like this: Files mod1/lala/xml/test1.txt and mod2/lala/xml/test1.txt differ Only in mod2/lala/xml: test2.txt What i need to do is to parse this file so i end up with just a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kam
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing output

I have a file that contains the output of the ls -iR command, something like this: ./results: 2504641011 result_1410 2500957642 result_525 2504641012 result_1425 2500957643 result_540 ./tests/1: 2500788755 1 2500788743 1000 ./tests/2: 2500788759 3 2500788758 999 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing output

I need to parse the following out put and determine if the USB is a DISK and whether or not it's External. If an HBA line contains "USB" then does the next line contain "DISK" and "External". 0:0,31,0: HBA : (aacraid,1) AAC SCSI 0,0,0: DISK : Adaptec ASR4800SAS Volu0001 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lochraven
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing output of system()

Hi, From the above output of df command I need to parse only 43G (available space) and display it. root@localhost:> df -h /vol1/joy Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /vol1/joy 180G 137G 43G 76% ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjjoy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing dynamic data from a command output

Hi people, I am writing a korn shell script, and one of the command gives an output something like below: release.label.2010.03.02 objects: /project/path/to/some/file_name.ksh /project/path/another/file_name01.dat I have to retrieve the file paths one by one & use them as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiwin1000
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing ifconfig output

I'm trying to gather information on the interfaces on a large number of servers. If I run ifconfig I will get: eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:50:56:A2:27:C1 inet addr:10.145.xxx.xxx Bcast:10.152.45.255 Mask:255.255.254.0 ----- eth1 Link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: C0ppert0p
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing the date output

Hi fellows, I need to define a notification for SSL certificate expiration. My Command output is below: (this is the "Expiration Date") Tue Mar 15 09:30:01 2012 So, at 15th Feb (1 month before the expiration), a notification has to be triggered by a script or sth else. How can i set an... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oduth
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing output

Can somebody provide a solution to parse the following; cat /tmp/xxx Name: QUE_REQU (o.mtaseast-o.dmart) (MTPost queue) Number of messages: 66446 (Age 686 min; Size 214 mb) Backlog (messages): 0 (Age 0 min) Name: QUE_REQU... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeefStu
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing fields from class list files to use output with newusers command

Hello I am trying to develop a shell script that takes a text file such as this... E-mail@ Soc.Sec.No. *--------Name-----------* Class *School.Curriculum.Major.* Campus.Phone JCC2380 XXX-XX-XXXX CAREY, JULIE C JR-II BISS CPSC BS INFO TECH 412/779-9445 JAC1936 XXX-XX-XXXX... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimputt
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing of TOP output

Hi , i am trying to set up an alert, when CPU usage (0.2%us in below output) is more than 40% top | head | grep '^Cpu' Cpu(s): 0.2%us, 0.2%sy, 0.0%ni, 99.1%id, 0.6%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st using CUT, i pulled the value 0.2 and assigned to CPU (variable) CPU=$(expr `top | head -10... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek007
5 Replies
FILECAP:(8)						  System Administration Utilities					       FILECAP:(8)

NAME
filecap - a program to see capabilities SYNOPSIS
filecap [ -a | -d | /dir | /dir/file [cap1 cap2 ...] ] DESCRIPTION
filecap is a program that prints out a report of programs with file based capabilities. If a file is not in the report or there is no report at all, no capabilities were found. For expedience, the default is to check only the directories in the PATH environmental variable. If the -a command line option is given, then all directories will be checked. If a directory is passed, it will recursively check that directory. If a path to a file is given, it will only check that file. If the path to the file includes capabilities, then they are written to the file. OPTIONS
-a This tells the program to show all capabilities starting from the / directory. Normally the PATH environmental variable is used to show you capabilities on files you are likely to execute. -d This dumps all capabilities for reference. EXAMPLES
To check file capabilities in $PATH: filecap To check file capabilities of whole system: filecap -a To check file capabilities recursively in a directory: filecap /usr To check file capabilities of a specific program: filecap /bin/passwd To list all possible capabilities: filecap -d To set a file capability on a specific program: filecap /bin/ping net_raw net_admin SEE ALSO
pscap(8), netcap(8), capabilities(7). AUTHOR
Steve Grubb Red Hat March 2009 FILECAP:(8)