Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: alias and sudo
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users alias and sudo Post 302073093 by sumitpandya on Wednesday 10th of May 2006 05:19:51 AM
Old 05-10-2006
If I were you then I'd have gone with your approach only

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with Alias, /bin/sh and sudo

'exec /bin/sh' breaks alias -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have an application that requires su to root in order to run some commands. Unfortunately, my corporate policy only allows sudo so I created an alias in .profile as "alias su="su... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: stulincoln
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to use the Sudo command. "0509-130 Symbol resolution failed for sudo because:"

Hi! I'm very new to unix, so please keep that in mind with the level of language used if you choose to help :D Thanks! When attempting to use sudo on and AIX machine with oslevel 5.1.0.0, I get the following error: exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program sudo because of the following errors:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Chloe123
1 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

sudo /bin/sh or sudo su -

we are looking at changing the way we get root on our network. in our current system if an admin needs root access he just gets the root password and uses an su. some of our staff have decided that a sudo to "/bin/sh" will be easer. some of our staff think a sudo to "su -" will be better. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: robsonde
0 Replies

4. AIX

sudo log and sudo auditing

Sudo In AIX, how to find out what commands have been run after a user sudo to another user? for example, user sam run 'sudo -u robert ksh' then run some commands, how can I (as root) find what commands have been run? sudo.log only contains sudo event, no activity logging. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalite19
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

ssh foo.com sudo command - Prompts for sudo password as visible text. Help?

I am writing a BASH script to update a webserver and then restart Apache. It looks basically like this: #!/bin/bash rsync /path/on/local/machine/ foo.com:path/on/remote/machine/ ssh foo.com sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 reloadrsync and ssh don't prompt for a password, because I have DSA encryption... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluoborate
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create alias files (not alias commands)

If one: $ find -name 'some expression' -type f > newfile and then subsequently wants to create an alias file from each pathname the find command retrieved and the > placed within 'newfile', how would one do this? Ideally, the newly created alias files would all be in one directory. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alexander4444
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo

Hi All, I running a unix command using sudo option inside shell script. Its working well. But in crontab the same command is not working and its throwing "sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo". I do not have root permission to add or change settings for my userid. I can not even ask... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Apple1221
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo

Hi, Have a need to run the below command as a "karuser" from a java class which will is running as "root" user. When we are trying to run the below command from java code getting the below error. Command: sudo -u karuser -s /bin/bash /bank/karunix/bin/build_cycles.sh Error: sudo: sorry,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SUDO help with command alias

Hi there, I'm trying to setup sudo privileges for a user, Oracle in this case, to run Unix commands like mv,chmod, chown, mkdir, rmdir against their own set of commands or scripts. Is there an easier way to do this than to give Unix commands for each of their respective commands as shown below... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
2 Replies
scotty(1)							 Tnm Tcl Extension							 scotty(1)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
scotty - A Tcl shell including the Tnm extensions. SYNOPSIS
scotty ?fileName arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
scotty is a Tcl interpreter with extensions to obtain status and configuration information about TCP/IP networks. After startup, scotty evaluates the commands stored in .scottyrc and .tclshrc in the home directory of the user. SCRIPT FILES
If scotty is invoked with arguments then the first argument is the name of a script file and any additional arguments are made available to the script as variables (see below). Instead of reading commands from standard input scotty will read Tcl commands from the named file; scotty will exit when it reaches the end of the file. If you create a Tcl script in a file whose first line is #!/usr/local/bin/scotty2.1.11 then you can invoke the script file directly from your shell if you mark the file as executable. This assumes that scotty has been installed in the default location in /usr/local/bin; if it's installed somewhere else then you'll have to modify the above line to match. Many UNIX systems do not allow the #! line to exceed about 30 characters in length, so be sure that the scotty executable can be accessed with a short file name. An even better approach is to start your script files with the following three lines: #!/bin/sh # the next line restarts using scotty exec scotty2.1.11 "$0" "$@" This approach has three advantages over the approach in the previous paragraph. First, the location of the scotty binary doesn't have to be hard-wired into the script: it can be anywhere in your shell search path. Second, it gets around the 30-character file name limit in the previous approach. Third, this approach will work even if scotty is itself a shell script (this is done on some systems in order to handle multiple architectures or operating systems: the scotty script selects one of several binaries to run). The three lines cause both sh and scotty to process the script, but the exec is only executed by sh. sh processes the script first; it treats the second line as a comment and executes the third line. The exec statement cause the shell to stop processing and instead to start up scotty to reprocess the entire script. When scotty starts up, it treats all three lines as comments, since the backslash at the end of the second line causes the third line to be treated as part of the comment on the second line. VARIABLES
Scotty sets the following Tcl variables: argc Contains a count of the number of arg arguments (0 if none), not including the name of the script file. argv Contains a Tcl list whose elements are the arg arguments, in order, or an empty string if there are no arg arguments. argv0 Contains fileName if it was specified. Otherwise, contains the name by which scotty was invoked. tcl_interactive Contains 1 if scotty is running interactively (no fileName was specified and standard input is a terminal-like device), 0 otherwise. PROMPTS
When scotty is invoked interactively it normally prompts for each command with ``% ''. You can change the prompt by setting the variables tcl_prompt1 and tcl_prompt2. If variable tcl_prompt1 exists then it must consist of a Tcl script to output a prompt; instead of out- putting a prompt scotty will evaluate the script in tcl_prompt1. The variable tcl_prompt2 is used in a similar way when a newline is typed but the current command isn't yet complete; if tcl_prompt2 isn't set then no prompt is output for incomplete commands. SEE ALSO
Tnm(n), Tcl(n) AUTHORS
Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@cs.utwente.nl> Tnm scotty(1)