Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: faster way to loop?
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users faster way to loop? Post 302073075 by sumitpandya on Wednesday 10th of May 2006 03:31:41 AM
Old 05-10-2006
If your originally solution is working then I'm proposing optimization which should reduce your time by 1/3rd

# Get all the Unique IP addresses and then proceed to check each
awk '{print $1} weblog > ip.list

while read i
do
grep -w "$i\|\(myURL\)" weblog
done < ip.list > lastpages.lis

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Mandrake should be faster.

For some reason 8.1 Mandrake Linux seems much slower than Windows 2000 with my cable modem. DSL reports test says they conferable speed with Windows2 though. This is consistant slow with both of my boxes, at the same time. Linux used to be faster, but not with Mandrake. Any way to fix this? (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: lancest
17 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Faster then cp ?

Hi , I need to copy every day about 35GB of files from one file system to another. Im using the cp command and its toke me about 25 min. I also tried to use dd command but its toke much more. Is there better option ? Regards. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep faster ?

Hi I have to grep for 2000 strings in a file one after the other.Say the file name is Snxx.out which has these strings. I have to search for all the strings in the file Snxx.out one after the other. What is the fastest way to do it ?? Note:The current grep process is taking lot of time per... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: preethgideon
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which command will be faster? y?

i)wc -c/etc/passwd|awk'{print $1}' ii)ls -al/etc/passwd|awk'{print $5}' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi_g
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why is RAID0 faster?

I have read anecdotes about people installing RAID0 (RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) on some of their machines because it gives a performance boost. Because bandwidth on the motherboard is limited, can someone explain exactly why it should be faster? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make script faster

Hi all, In bash scripting, I use to read files: cat $file | while read line; do ... doneHowever, it's a very slow way to read file line by line. E.g. In a file that has 3 columns, and less than 400 rows, like this: I run next script: cat $line | while read line; do ## Reads each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlbertGM
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to process for loop faster

I have the following code running against a file. The file can have upwards of 10000 lines. problem is, the for loop takes a while to go through all those lines. is there a faster way to go about it? for line in `grep -P "${MONTH} ${DAY}," file | ${AWK} -F" " '{print $4}' | awk -F":"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which system is faster?

i'm trying to decide if to move operations from one of these hosts to the other. but i cant decide which one of them is the most powerful. each host has 8 cpus. HOSTA processor : 0 vendor_id : GenuineIntel cpu family : 6 model : 44 model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make faster loop in multiple directories?

Hello, I am under Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic. I have one shell script run.sh (which is out of my topic) to run files under multiple directories and one file to control all processes running under those directories (control.sh). I set a cronjob task to check each of them with two minutes of intervals.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
3 Replies
orber_acl(3erl) 					     Erlang Module Definition						   orber_acl(3erl)

NAME
orber_acl - Orber ACL operations DESCRIPTION
This module contains functions intended for analyzing Access Control List (ACL) filters. The filters uses a extended format of Classless Inter Domain Routing (CIDR). For example, "123.123.123.10" limits the connection to that particular host, while "123.123.123.10/17" allows connections to or from any host equal to the 17 most significant bits. Orber also allow the user to specify a certain port or port range, for example, "123.123.123.10/17#4001" and "123.123.123.10/17#4001/5001" respectively. IPv4 or none compressed IPv6 strings are accepted. EXPORTS
match(IP, Direction) -> boolean() match(IP, Direction, GetInfo) -> Reply Types IP = tuple() | [integer()] Direction = tcp_in | ssl_in | tcp_out | ssl_out GetInfo = boolean() Reply = boolean() | {boolean(), [Interface], PortInfo} Interface = string() PortInfo = integer() | {integer(), integer()} If GetInfo is not supplied or set to false, this operation returns a boolean which tells if the IPv4 or IPv6 address would pass the ACL filter, defined by the iiop_acl configuration parameter, or not. When GetInfo is set to true, a tuple which, besides the boolean that tells if access was granted, also include the defined interfaces and port(s). This operation requires that Orber is running and can be used on a live node to determine if Orber has been properly configured. verify(IP, Filter, Family) -> Reply Types IP = string() Filter = string() Family = inet | inet6 Reply = true | {false, From, To} | {error, string()} From = string() To = string() This operation returns true if the IPv4 or IPv6 address would pass the supplied ACL. If that is not the case, a tuple containing the accepted range is returned. This operation should only be used for test purposes. range(Filter, Family) -> Reply Types Filter = string() Family = inet | inet6 Reply = {ok, From, To} | {error, string()} From = string() To = string() Returns the range of accepted IP addresses based on the supplied filter. This operation should only be used for test purposes. Ericsson AB orber 3.6.20 orber_acl(3erl)