Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Creating a Unique ID on distributed systems Post 302073027 by DreamWarrior on Tuesday 9th of May 2006 04:26:39 PM
Old 05-09-2006
If you have access to a database, such as Oracle, you may find this useful. However, that would of course cause all the processes using said unique ID to potentially block each another up. There are ways around that too, pre-fetching UIDs etc.

The other way, as Pederabo said, is to assign each distributed machine some machine ID. Then as it feeds transactions (or whatever needs to be uniquely identified) it can prepend/append its unique ID to a machine independant unique ID.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating user ids on multiple systems simultaneously

I am trying to think of a way to create user ids on multiple Linux systems in one fell swoop without logging onto each system indivually. Is there a way to do this with ssh commands? I don't want to use NIS/LDAP solution just a simple shell script utilitarian methodoloy would suffice. Also, I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darthur
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating unique lists from user input

hi all, I'm trying to resolve a scenario where we prompt the user to enter 1 or more disk names. From there we would run a command on each disk which would give its location. This would allow us to create a list of disks at location A, a list of disks at location B,....etc... Any help... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annie
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Creating create mirrored disk files systems using mkfs command

What is the correct mkfs syntax to create mirrored disk files systems? I need to make the file system 20gb. For example: machine# mkfs -F ufs /dev/md/dsk/d40 size not specified ufs usage: mkfs special size(sectors) \ -m : dump fs cmd line used to make this partition -V : print this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: GLJ@USC
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change unique file names into new unique filenames

I have 84 files with the following names splitseqs.1, spliseqs.2 etc. and I want to change the .number to a unique filename. E.g. change splitseqs.1 into splitseqs.7114_1#24 and change spliseqs.2 into splitseqs.7067_2#4 So all the current file names are unique, so are the new file names.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: avonm
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating unique mapping from multiple mapping

Hello, I do not know if this is the right title to use. I have a large dictionary database which has the following structure: where a b c d e are in English and p q r s t are in a target language., the two separated by the delimiter =. What I am looking for is a perl script which will take... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating array with non-duplicate / unique elements in ksh

Hi all, I have created 3 arrays which can have common elements in each like- arr_a contains str1 str2 str3 str4 str5 arr_b contains str3 str6 str7 str1 str8 arr_c contains str4 str9 str10 str2 each array is created with "set -A arr_name values" command. I want to create a resultant array-say... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanzee007
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Identifying dupes within a database and creating unique sub-sets

Hello, I have a database of name variants with the following structure: variant=variant=variant The number of variants can be as many as thirty to forty. Since the database is quite large (at present around 60,000 lines) duplicate sets of variants creep in. Thus John=Johann=Jon and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
2 Replies

8. Linux

Creating file systems (LVM v Multipath)

Hi all I have a system running: uname -o GNU/Linux that has already some file systems created: df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/mapper/vg_outsystemdb-lv_root 50G 2.7G 45G 6% / tmpfs 28G 72K 28G 1%... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
5 Replies
GETHOSTID(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						      GETHOSTID(3)

NAME
gethostid, sethostid - get or set the unique identifier of the current host SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> long gethostid(void); int sethostid(long hostid); Feature Test Macro Requirements for glibc (see feature_test_macros(7)): sethostid(): _BSD_SOURCE || (_XOPEN_SOURCE && _XOPEN_SOURCE < 500) DESCRIPTION
gethostid() and sethostid() respectively get or set a unique 32-bit identifier for the current machine. The 32-bit identifier is intended to be unique among all Unix systems in existence. This normally resembles the Internet address for the local machine, as returned by geth- ostbyname(3), and thus usually never needs to be set. The sethostid() call is restricted to the superuser. RETURN VALUE
gethostid() returns the 32-bit identifier for the current host as set by sethostid(). On success, sethostid() returns 0; on error, -1 is returned, and errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
sethostid() can fail with the following errors: EACCES The caller did not have permission to write to the file used to store the host ID. EPERM The calling process's effective user or group ID is not the same as its corresponding real ID. CONFORMING TO
4.2BSD; these functions were dropped in 4.4BSD. SVr4 includes gethostid() but not sethostid(). POSIX.1-2001 specifies gethostid() but not sethostid(). NOTES
In the glibc implementation, the hostid is stored in the file /etc/hostid. (In glibc versions before 2.2, the file /var/adm/hostid was used.) In the glibc implementation, if gethostid() cannot open the file containing the host ID, then it obtains the hostname using gethostname(2), passes that hostname to gethostbyname_r(3) in order to obtain the host's IPv4 address, and returns a value obtained by bit-twiddling the IPv4 address. (This value may not be unique.) BUGS
It is impossible to ensure that the identifier is globally unique. SEE ALSO
hostid(1), gethostbyname(3) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2009-01-13 GETHOSTID(3)