Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Whats wrong with this 5 line script! Post 302073009 by c19h28O2 on Tuesday 9th of May 2006 01:20:56 PM
Old 05-09-2006
Whats wrong with this 5 line script!

Hi

Code:
#!/bin/sh

user=$1

if [ "$user | grep [0-9]" -eq 0 ]
        echo "No"
else
        echo "Yes"
fi

I'm not quite sure whats wrong with this but I know its something silly.

Any ideas?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with this script?

Hi all, #!/bin/ksh BIN=/interface/Gunner age=$1 directory="$2" && directory=. cd "$directory" || exit 1 from=`$BIN/today -$age` cd $BIN for i in `cat filestoarchive.txt`;do cd $i find . -mtime 14 | grep -v '.tar$' | $BIN/dttmfilter | awk '$1<="'$from'"{ print;};' | \ done (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kayarsenal
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Whats wrong in this Script ???

PATH="/clocal/mqbrkrs/user/mqsiadm/sanjay" MAIL_RECIPIENTS="xyz@abc.com" Subject="File accessed in last minutes:" find $PATH -type f -amin -1 > temp.txt.$$ cat temp.txt.$$ | \ while read line do fuser -uV $line >> tempmail.txt done cat "$tempmail.txt" | mailx -s "$Subject"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: varungupta
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tell me whats wrong in this?

#! /bin/bash head -5 $1 echo "remove $1 ?" read answer if then echo invalid answer elif rm $1 echo "$1 is deleted" elif then echo file is not deleted else echo "invalid answer" fi What i really want this to do is to ask to delete the file or not..it says something wrong... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nadman123
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Whats wrong in the script?

if then if then echo "fst argument is $1 " else if then "fst argument is $1" fi fi fi Can anyone tell me. My requirement is tht pass a string .. Check whether it contains "-". If yes then check if it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nehagupta2008
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with this line?

I have a file $I_FILE that I need to filter and store the 1st and the 9th columns in another file $O_FILE. With this in Perl, system ("awk -F, '{print \$1, \$9}' \$I_FILE | sed '\/^\$\/d' > O_FILE"); I get: 4096045055 The first line in I_FILE is:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

whats wrong with this line using perl

E:\>perl -00ne 'push @a,"$_\0$ARGV\n";END{print reverse split/\0/ for sort @a}' file1-obj_prof.out.txt file2-obj_prof.out.txt' Can't find string terminator "'" anywhere before EOF at -e line 1. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: richsark
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

whats wrong with this?

can anyone tell me why this code doesn't work how its supposed to, its the hangman game but it doesn't play how its supposed to #!/bin/bash NoAttempts="0" livesgiven="5" LivesRemain=$livesgiven LettersAttempted="" wordfile=words numwords=0 function menu() { clear cat << menu... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ferrycorsten73
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Whats wrong with my script?

I am trying to find a value within a properties file and declare it into a variable. Script below. I want the "memSize" to be the branch from the properties file. Right now it always tells me "Not found" What am I doing wrong? #!/bin/sh memsize =''; memSize=`sed '/^\#/d'... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
8 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Whats wrong with this shell script!!!!!

hi guys can you tell me if anything is wrong with this script, seems reasonable to me but somehow never works. Script redacted for being too explicit (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Freddo
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sh Script whats wrong?

Hi there, i have a problem i have created followning sh files some years ago but now it dosen`t work anymore i never used it a long time. Can anyone find the Error? Its always runs the stop() block and trying to Killing the Server also if i try to start or creat a new one. #!/bin/sh stop()... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewCannon
6 Replies
escape(1)							Mail Avenger 0.8.3							 escape(1)

NAME
escape - escape shell special characters in a string SYNOPSIS
escape string DESCRIPTION
escape prepends a "" character to all shell special characters in string, making it safe to compose a shell command with the result. EXAMPLES
The following is a contrived example showing how one can unintentionally end up executing the contents of a string: $ var='; echo gotcha!' $ eval echo hi $var hi gotcha! $ Using escape, one can avoid executing the contents of $var: $ eval echo hi `escape "$var"` hi ; echo gotcha! $ A less contrived example is passing arguments to Mail Avenger bodytest commands containing possibly unsafe environment variables. For example, you might write a hypothetical reject_bcc script to reject mail not explicitly addressed to the recipient: #!/bin/sh formail -x to -x cc -x resent-to -x resent-cc | fgrep "$1" > /dev/null && exit 0 echo "<$1>.. address does not accept blind carbon copies" exit 100 To invoke this script, passing it the recipient address as an argument, you would need to put the following in your Mail Avenger rcpt script: bodytest reject_bcc `escape "$RECIPIENT"` SEE ALSO
avenger(1), The Mail Avenger home page: <http://www.mailavenger.org/>. BUGS
escape is designed for the Bourne shell, which is what Mail Avenger scripts use. escape might or might not work with other shells. AUTHOR
David Mazieres Mail Avenger 0.8.3 2012-04-05 escape(1)