Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers starting processes with timeout? Post 302072704 by soheil.samii on Friday 5th of May 2006 09:07:58 AM
Old 05-05-2006
starting processes with timeout?

Does anyone know it it is possible to start a program with a timeout, so that it is automatically killed if the timeout expires? If yes, how?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting Processes

I am currently running SCO OpenServer. When the machine is restart it automatically intitiates processes that allow me to use the ARCserv backup software... Recently, these process were killed and I would like to restart them. The problem is I dont know the name or location of the files invoked... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LowOrderBit
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

timeout

How can I kick a user out after being idle for a certain amount of time, would prefer not to use scripts, will TMOUT work on HP-UX? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaunders
5 Replies

3. Solaris

About the Timeout

Hello everyone I am a new one,I want to know how to get the solaris force the loginer out if he do not in a time thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyh003473
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

5. Red Hat

RPC Timeout

I have a RHEL 2.1 machine that I am trying to get to mount a remote nfs filesystem. Both servers have 2 network interfaces. My linux machine can mount the filesystem through one interface with no problems but if I switch over and try to mount it through the other interface using a totally... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darren.wyatt
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Identifying and grouping OS processes and APP processes

Hi Is there an easy way to identify and group currently running processes into OS processes and APP processes. Not all applications are installed as packages. Any free tools or scripts to do this? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
2 Replies

7. SCO

Starting processes automatically on bootup

Hello - We have setup printers to startup in the /etc/rc.d/8 directory and when the SCO system is booted this script should kick them off or start them up but it doesn't. So I have to start it from root and leave the window open. I know this isn't right and trying to figure out what's missing. ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dbm7230
13 Replies

8. AIX

init not starting processes from inittab

Hello, I'm having a problem starting the cron daemon automatically from inittab, let me provide the details below: We are having five equally installed machines. One of them was upgraded in the past, one we upgraded recently, both from 5300-05-06 to 5300-07-01-0748. On the upgraded... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hybr1d
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
XtAppAddTimeOut(3)						   XT FUNCTIONS 						XtAppAddTimeOut(3)

NAME
XtAppAddTimeOut, XtRemoveTimeOut - register and remove timeouts SYNTAX
XtIntervalId XtAppAddTimeOut(XtAppContext app_context, unsigned long interval, XtTimerCallbackProc proc, XtPointer client_data); void XtRemoveTimeOut(XtIntervalId timer); ARGUMENTS
app_context Specifies the application context for which the timer is to be set. client_data Specifies the argument that is to be passed to the specified procedure when . interval Specifies the time interval in milliseconds. proc Specifies the procedure that is to be called when time expires. timer Specifies the ID for the timeout request to be destroyed. DESCRIPTION
The XtAppAddTimeOut function creates a timeout and returns an identifier for it. The timeout value is set to interval. The callback pro- cedure is called when the time interval elapses, and then the timeout is removed. The XtRemoveTimeOut function removes the timeout. Note that timeouts are automatically removed once they trigger. SEE ALSO
XtAppAddInput(3Xt),XtAppAddSignal(3Xt) X Toolkit Intrinsics - C Language Interface Xlib - C Language X Interface X Version 11 libXt 1.0.7 XtAppAddTimeOut(3)