Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Does Mailx store the mails sent Post 302072698 by RTM on Friday 5th of May 2006 08:12:49 AM
Old 05-05-2006
First off, when posting info about an issue, you should change anything that is a possible way for others to 'attack' your system - you can see I changed your IP to a generic one, and any actual domain names to generic. This is for your own protection since anyone can read these forums.

Quote:
May 5 08:30:41 nus220 sendmail[29817]: k44MUbM29801: to=miamikool@otherplace.com, ctladdr=kndsep (40105/40025), delay=00:00:04, xdelay=00:00:03, mailer=relay, pri=121651, relay=cdn-mail.somewhere.com.au. [10.10.138.138], dsn=2.0.0, stat=Sent (IAA03690 Message accepted for delivery)

Does the last part stat=Sent (IAA03690 Message accepted for delivery) mean that the msg has gone successfully?
Yes, the message was accepted by the cdn-mail relay - that is probably still part of your network but it did leave your system. You should check with the person who runs cdn-mail.somewhere.com.au and see if they can verify the message was forwarded on to the receipent.

Version 8.11.6+Sun<---version of sendmail you are running
Compiled with: LDAPMAP MAP_REGEX LOG MATCHGECOS MIME7TO8 MIME8TO7
NAMED_BIND NDBM NETINET NETINET6 NETUNIX NEWDB NIS NISPLUS
QUEUE SCANF SMTP USERDB XDEBUG<-----sendmail was compiled with support for these - looks normal

============ SYSTEM IDENTITY (after readcf) ============
(short domain name) $w = nus220
(canonical domain name) $j = nus220.in.somewhere.com.au
(subdomain name) $m = somewhere.com.au
(node name) $k = nus220
========================================================
this looks correct also - there are times when DNS isn't set up correctly that these would be wrong, possibly being an issue with slow mail service or no mail service
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
No errors in output - looks okay

Quote:
Also i would like to know how does mailx work internally? as in does it store the mails in a buffer before sending it? and what happens if the mail is not sent? where does that mail go if it was not sent successfully?
Mail will be sent to /var/spool/mqueue - it will be attempted to be sent every XX minutes (see next note). If it doesn't go, it will be attempted again every XX minutes (see next note) until XX hours. After XX hours, if the message is still not sent, the sender should recieve an email that the email still hasn't gone and is still trying. After a final attempt, the sender should get an email that it hasn't gone (for whatever reason) and sendmail has stopped trying (this is when the email would be deleted).

All the XX minute/hour stuff should be in your /etc/mail/sendmail.cf file - I believe the default is that sendmail attempts every 15 minutes to send all email in the queue. After 4 hours, it will notify the sender if it hasn't gone. After 8 hours it will notify the sender it has given up. The reason it does this is that the mail relay to the final receipent may be down - this allows email to be sent later when whatever the issue is to be resolved. These times I put may not be correct - it's been awhile since I've looked/changed them so it may just be what my server has as 'default'

Read more at www.sendmail.org

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

how to send mails to users on exchange server from sendmail/solaris(mailx)

Hi, Can anyone pls. tell me how to access Active directory from solaris. I am looking at solution by which I can send mail notification from the logs generated by scripts, to the users on Exchange server. I am trying for a Perl-LDAP module , but don't realy know how to go for it (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganeshh
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mailx error message : mailx: NUL changed to @

If I use the "Mail" link instead of the "mail" link to ../mailx I get this error. Mail so-n-so @whatever.com mailx: NUL changed to @ Unknown command: "postmaster" The email still goes through but i get the error. If I use "mail" it goes thru without the error. Any ideas?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
2 Replies

3. Debian

cannot send any mails using mailx

hi howto configure mailx ? kind regards ccc (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ccc
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all mails using mailx or mail

Hi , ?im a newbie using shell scripts. Is there any way to write a script that will delete all mails from my mailbox using mail or mailx command Thanks for your time E. Festas (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjanesto
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx is not working outside e-mails

HI i wrote schell script to send e-mail automatically. it works only e-mail for our company.say for example, company name is : abc, example: joe@abc.com every body is receiving with xxx@abc.com (abc.com) if any body from outside of our company like joe@xyz.com.(xyz.com) are not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosurya
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read outlook mails for a particular user and store that mail description in a excel/notepad

My requirements are :- Remote connection to the another server with log in credential. Read the mail from a particular user with date,subject and contents and store these data in XLs with consecutive columns (date,subject and contents). Mail that XLs to multiple user those are in a mailing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjan001
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

mailx- how to delete least of mails

Hi, when i run the mailx command it gives me the least of mails . suppose there are 1- 150 mails and i want to delete 30 to 145 mails . then what command i have to use here? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aish11
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

2 mails from mailx command

hi, While using mailx command i am receiving 2 mails with the same content in both the mails.I am attaching a file to the mailx command. In one mail file is coming as attachement and in other attachment is not there. I am using mailx command in this way. echo "Some content" |mailx... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arijitsaha
0 Replies

9. IP Networking

Set default return address for all mails sent from mailx

Hi, I have a question about mailx in Red Hat: If I use 'mail userid@mydomain.com -- -f root@mydomain.com', the return mail address will be root@mydomain.com. How can I make all mails sent from this system use root@mydomain.com as return address by default? Thank you in advance! nz (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixlover
1 Replies

10. HP-UX

Mailx command running successfully but no mails received.

Hi, I am working on a HP-UX box. Mailx command running successfully but no mails received. Here is what I am doing rocfm@comhp73 - mailx -s "subject" abc@gmail.com < abc.txt Null message body; hope that's ok rocfm@comhp73 - echo $? 0 rocfm@comhp73 - echo "something" | mailx -v -s... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sunayna
1 Replies
qmail-remote(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   qmail-remote(8)

NAME
qmail-remote - send mail via SMTP SYNOPSIS
qmail-remote host sender recip [ recip ... ] DESCRIPTION
qmail-remote reads a mail message from its input and sends the message to one or more recipients at a remote host. The remote host is qmail-remote's first argument, host. qmail-remote sends the message to host, or to a mail exchanger for host listed in the Domain Name System, via the Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP). host can be either a fully-qualified domain name: silverton.berkeley.edu or an IP address enclosed in brackets: [128.32.183.163] The envelope recipient addresses are listed as recip arguments to qmail-remote. The envelope sender address is listed as sender. Note that qmail-remote does not take options and does not follow the getopt standard. TRANSPARENCY
End-of-file in SMTP is encoded as dot CR LF. A dot at the beginning of a line is encoded as dot dot. It is impossible in SMTP to send a message that does not end with a newline. qmail-remote converts the UNIX newline convention into the SMTP newline convention by inserting CR before each LF. It is a violation of the SMTP protocol to send a message that contains long lines or non-ASCII characters. However, qmail-remote will hap- pily send such messages. It is the user's responsibility to avoid generating illegal messages. RESULTS
qmail-remote prints some number of recipient reports, followed by a message report. Each report is terminated by a 0 byte. Each report begins with a single letter: r Recipient report: acceptance. h Recipient report: permanent rejection. s Recipient report: temporary rejection. K Message report: success. host has taken responsibility for delivering the message to each acceptable recipient. Z Message report: temporary failure. D Message report: permanent failure. After this letter comes a human-readable description of what happened. The recipient reports will always be printed in the same order as qmail-remote's recip arguments. Note that in failure cases there may be fewer recipient reports than recip arguments. qmail-remote always exits zero. CONTROL FILES
helohost Current host name, for use solely in saying hello to the remote SMTP server. Default: me, if that is supplied; otherwise qmail-remote refuses to run. smtproutes Artificial SMTP routes. Each route has the form domain:relay, without any extra spaces. If domain matches host, qmail-remote will connect to relay, as if host had relay as its only MX. (It will also avoid doing any CNAME lookups on recip.) host may include a colon and a port number to use instead of the normal SMTP port, 25: inside.af.mil:firewall.af.mil:26 relay may be empty; this tells qmail-remote to look up MX records as usual. smtproutes may include wildcards: .af.mil: :heaven.af.mil Here any address ending with .af.mil (but not af.mil itself) is routed by its MX records; any other address is artificially routed to heaven.af.mil. The qmail system does not protect you if you create an artificial mail loop between machines. However, you are always safe using smt- proutes if you do not accept mail from the network. timeoutconnect Number of seconds qmail-remote will wait for the remote SMTP server to accept a connection. Default: 60. The kernel normally imposes a 75-second upper limit. timeoutremote Number of seconds qmail-remote will wait for each response from the remote SMTP server. Default: 1200. SEE ALSO
addresses(5), envelopes(5), qmail-control(5), qmail-send(8), qmail-smtpd(8), qmail-tcpok(8), qmail-tcpto(8) qmail-remote(8)