Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Checking the format of inputs in a file Post 302072667 by sendhilmani123 on Friday 5th of May 2006 01:31:26 AM
Old 05-05-2006
Checking the format of inputs in a file

Hi,

I have a script that takes the contents of another file as inputs. Its assumed that there are 3 values in the input file that are seperated by '|'. I have to check in my script, whether the filed seperator used in the input file is '|' or not. If its not a '|' I have to print a error message. How can I do it.

Thanks in advnace.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading in two inputs from a file

Hi all, I've been assigned the task of modifying a script which reads in names of tables from a list file, exports a 30 days worth of data from these tables, then deletes the table. The list file will now contain a table name and a number next to it indicating how many days to archive. I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MadHatter
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inputs from a file

Hi, I have a shell script that has to taken inputs from a file say "Inputs". Now I take 2 inputs at a time. Suppose the Inputs file contains numbers like 2 3 4 5 Now I have a written a script for adding 2 numbers. When I run the script for first time 2 and 3 must be the inputs. When i run the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhil
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirecting serial inputs to a file?

i have an external device sending serial messages i want to connect this device to a serial port in my sun blade box and record those messages to a file, how can i read the serial port and write it to file? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guilartec
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Validating inputs from a file

Hi, I have a file called inputs. Now that file has the values like this: 1 2 3 Now In my script called 'get.sh' I do this : exec < inputs read a b c d Now I know that there will not be any value in d. How can I check it. I need the exact condition for checking whether the variable has... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding checking the file format

Hi, This with reference to my earlier thread. I have file called input that has 2 values. Now I have to check whether the 2 fileds are seperated by a "|" or not. I am not able to do this with the following script. while read line do first=`echo $line | cut -f1 -d'|'` ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendhilmani123
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read inputs from a file

Hello; Please I need to read inputs from a file change 1 or 2 things the output to another file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimoney
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write shell script for input file name format checking?

Hello, I had written a shell script that accepts input file as cmd line argument and process this file. if ; then if ; then . $1 LOGFILE="$LOG_FILE/MIG_BIOS.log"; get_input_file else ERROR_CODE=MSCRM0005_003 error "$ERROR_CODE : Input file $1 is not available"; exit... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Poonamol
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Take 10 user inputs and output to file?

I want a script that will prompt a user to enter 10 numbers and out put them into a file. This what I have so far, but isn't working. I'm guessing it's something easy I'm not seeing. Thanks for any help. #!/usr/bin/ksh echo "Enter 10 numbers" for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 do read .... ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxlVanDamme
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing user inputs into a file

Hi, Am trying to store the user inputs into a file, but the below code will store only the first line of the values. I need to store all the user input values which may contain one or more lines. Thanks in advance. echo "please enter file names"; read name; echo $name>/tmp/test (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
11 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in sending inputs to format command using expect

Hi , I am not able figure out how to use expect tool to send input to this prompt of format Searching for disks...done selecting c0t3d0 FORMAT MENU: disk - select a disk type - select (define) a disk type partition - select (define) a partition... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
3 Replies
SHASUM(1)						 Perl Programmers Reference Guide						 SHASUM(1)

NAME
shasum - Print or Check SHA Checksums SYNOPSIS
Usage: shasum [OPTION]... [FILE]... Print or check SHA checksums. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. -a, --algorithm 1 (default), 224, 256, 384, 512, 512224, 512256 -b, --binary read in binary mode -c, --check read SHA sums from the FILEs and check them -t, --text read in text mode (default) -p, --portable read in portable mode produces same digest on Windows/Unix/Mac -0, --01 read in BITS mode ASCII '0' interpreted as 0-bit, ASCII '1' interpreted as 1-bit, all other characters ignored The following two options are useful only when verifying checksums: -s, --status don't output anything, status code shows success -w, --warn warn about improperly formatted checksum lines -h, --help display this help and exit -v, --version output version information and exit When verifying SHA-512/224 or SHA-512/256 checksums, indicate the algorithm explicitly using the -a option, e.g. shasum -a 512224 -c checksumfile The sums are computed as described in FIPS-180-4. When checking, the input should be a former output of this program. The default mode is to print a line with checksum, a character indicating type (`*' for binary, ` ' for text, `?' for portable, `^' for BITS), and name for each FILE. Report shasum bugs to mshelor@cpan.org DESCRIPTION
Running shasum is often the quickest way to compute SHA message digests. The user simply feeds data to the script through files or standard input, and then collects the results from standard output. The following command shows how to compute digests for typical inputs such as the NIST test vector "abc": perl -e "print qq(abc)" | shasum Or, if you want to use SHA-256 instead of the default SHA-1, simply say: perl -e "print qq(abc)" | shasum -a 256 Since shasum mimics the behavior of the combined GNU sha1sum, sha224sum, sha256sum, sha384sum, and sha512sum programs, you can install this script as a convenient drop-in replacement. Unlike the GNU programs, shasum encompasses the full SHA standard by allowing partial-byte inputs. This is accomplished through the BITS option (-0). The following example computes the SHA-224 digest of the 7-bit message 0001100: perl -e "print qq(0001100)" | shasum -0 -a 224 AUTHOR
Copyright (c) 2003-2012 Mark Shelor <mshelor@cpan.org>. SEE ALSO
shasum is implemented using the Perl module Digest::SHA or Digest::SHA::PurePerl. perl v5.16.2 2013-08-25 SHASUM(1)