Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Search and replace to first occurrence of string Post 302072452 by gilmord on Wednesday 3rd of May 2006 05:00:39 AM
Old 05-03-2006
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear in my original posting. The snippet of the file was tiny and the first letter isn't always 'u'. Also, I only want to add in the word average when the previous word starts with AVG_.
So as an small example the text can contain things like:

CL_SUPD;URAUPDOC;uraUpdate_Other causes;#;A
CL_SUPD;URAUPPUU;uraUpdate_3_0_1 periodic URA update;#;A
CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT1;uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_1;#;A
CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT2;ActiveLinkSetSize;#;A
CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT3;uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_2;#;A
CSACT_DY;BH_ACRALLCF;acRejections all causes;#;A
CSACT_DY;BH_ACRCDALF;acRejections_1_9_8 Code allocation failure;#;A

I would like to change only the AVG_ lines to:

CL_SUPD;URAUPDOC;uraUpdate_Other causes;#;A
CL_SUPD;URAUPPUU;uraUpdate_3_0_1 periodic URA update;#;A
CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT1;Average uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_1;#;A
CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT2;Average ActiveLinkSetSize;#;A
CSACT_DY;AVG_UEACT3;Average uesPerActiveLinkSetSize_2;#;A
CSACT_DY;BH_ACRALLCF;acRejections all causes;#;A
CSACT_DY;BH_ACRCDALF;acRejections_1_9_8 Code allocation failure;#;A

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED replace string by occurrence

hi all, I have a text file with following content PAGENUMBER asasasa asasasa PAGENUMBER sasasasasa PAGENUMBER using sed i want to replace PAGENUMBER by occurrence count eg 1 asasasa asasasa 2 sasasasasa 3 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: uttamhoode
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string and replace the searched string in the same position in samefile

Hi All, My requisite is to search for the string "0108"(which is the year and has come in the wrong year format) in a particular column say 4th column in a tab delimited file and then replace it with 2008(the correct year format) in the same position where 0108 was found in the same file..The... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
27 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search, replace string in file1 with string from (lookup table) file2?

Hello: I have another question. Please consider the following two sample, tab-delimited files: File_1: Abf1 YKL112w Abf1 YAL054c Abf1 YGL234w Ace2 YKL150w Ace2 YNL328c Cup9 YDR441c Cup9 YDR442w Cup9 YEL040w ... File 2: ... ABF1 YKL112W ACE2 YLR131C (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gstuart
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace number of string length from search and replace for a serialized array

Hello, I really would appreciate some help with a bash script for some string manipulation on an SQL dump: I'd like to be able to rename "sites/WHATEVER/files" to "sites/SOMETHINGELSE/files" within the sql dump. This is quite easy with sed: sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otrotipo
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace x Number of String Occurrence with Sed

Ok, So I have a huge file that has over 12000 lines in it. in this file, there are 589 occurrences of the string "use five-minute-interval" spread in various areas in the file. How can i replace the the last 250 of the occurrences of "use five-minute-interval" with "use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies

8. AIX

Replace consecutive occurrence of string in same line

Hi All, I have a requirement to replace consecutive occurence of same string nedd to be replaced. Below is the input and desired output. Input: --------- 123.5|ABC|.|.|. 234.4|DEF|.|.|.|.|.| Output: --------- 123.5|ABC|||. 234.4|DEF||||| so basically "|.|" need to be replaced with... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: ureddy
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace first occurrence of a string in while loop

####Solved#### Hello, My aim is to replace searched string with incremented value under ubuntu 16.04. Example: aasasasas 9030 31wwo weopwoep weerasas 9030 ew31wo ieopwoep bbqqqsas 9030 ew3swo ieeopwoep ccsaqpas 9030 ewiro o2opwoep Expected: aasasasas 9030 31wwo weopwoep weerasas 9031... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search partial string in a file and replace the string - UNIX

I have the below string which i need to compare with a file and replace this string in the file which matches closely. Can anyone help me on this. string(Scenario 1)- user::r--,user::ourfrd:r-- String(Scenario 2)- user::r-- File **** # file: /local/Desktop/myfile # owner: me # group:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarathy_a35
6 Replies
CW(7)							 Miscellaneous Information Manual						     CW(7)

NAME
CW - the international Morse code DESCRIPTION
CW is an abbreviation for "continuous wave", the commonly used technical term for Morse code communication. A basic knowledge or under- standing of Morse code is a requirement for Radio Amateurs and Marine Radio Operators in many parts of the world. MORSE CODE TIMINGS In Morse code, a dot or dash is referred to as an element. The basic timing unit is the dot period. This is the time taken to send a dot, not including any space before or after the dot. The lengths of all other elements are then derived from this basic unit, using the fol- lowing rules: The duration of a dash is three dots. The time between each element (dot or dash) is one dot length. The space between characters is three dot lengths. The space between words is seven dot lengths. The following formula calculates the dot period in microseconds from the Morse code speed in words per minute: dot period = ( 1200000 / speed ) This formula arises from the use of the word PARIS as a 'standard' word for calibrating Morse code speed. PARIS is 50 units long when sent in Morse code. Analysis of English plain-text indicates that the average word is 50 units, including spaces. MORSE CODE CHARACTERS The following list shows the IS0 8859-1 (Latin-1) characters that have commonly understood representations in Morse code: ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789"$()+-./:;=?_@ and space In addition, following ISO 8859-1 and ISO 8859-2 accented characters are also part of the generally accepted international Morse code: UACOEEANS (S with cedilla), (Z with caron/hacek), Finally, libcw adds the following ASCII characters as extensions to single character procedural signals: <>!&^~ MORSE CODE CHARACTER TABLES The following table shows the Morse code equivalents for the ISO 8859-1, accented ISO 8859-1, and accented ISO 8859-2 characters above. The ASCII portion of this table is taken from the ARRL Handbook, and the accented extensions from various other sources: Ch Code Ch Code Ch Code Ch Code ------------------------------------------------------- A .- B -... C -.-. D -.. E . F ..-. G --. H .... I .. J .--- K -.- L .-.. M -- N -. O --- P .--. Q --.- R .-. S ... T - U ..- V ...- W .-- X -..- Y -.-- Z --.. 0 ----- 1 .---- 2 ..--- 3 ...-- 4 ....- 5 ..... 6 -.... 7 --... 8 ---.. 9 ----. " .-..-. ' .----. $ ...-..- ( -.--. ) -.--.- + .-.-. , --..-- - -....- . .-.-.- / -..-. : ---... ; -.-.-. = -...- ? ..--.. _ ..--.- Ch Code Ch Code ------------------------------------------------- U ..-- A .-.- C -.-.. O ---. E ..-.. A .-..- A .--.- N --.-- S (S+cedilla) ---- (Z+caron/hacek) --..- In addition to the above standard characters, the following characters are conventionally used for punctuation and procedural signals as follows: Ch Code Ch Code Ch Code Ch Code ------------------------------------------------------- " .-..-. ' .----. $ ...-..- ( -.--. ) -.--.- + .-.-. , --..-- - -....- . .-.-.- / -..-. : ---... ; -.-.-. = -...- ? ..--.. _ ..--.- @ .--.-. and the following are non-conventional extensions implemented by libcw: Ch Code Ch Code Ch Code Ch Code ----------------------------------------------------- < ...-.- > -...-.- ! ...-. & .-... ^ -.-.- ~ .-.-.. An alternative view of punctuation and procedural signals is as combination Morse characters: Ch Prosig Ch Prosig Ch Prosig Ch Prosig --------------------------------------------------------- " [AF] ' [WG] $ [SX] ( [KN] ) [KK] + [AR] , [MIM] - [DU] . [AAA] / [DN] : [OS] ; [KR] = [BT] ? [IMI] _ [IQ] @ [AC] < [VA],[SK] > [BK] ! [SN] & [AS] ^ [KA] ~ [AL] NOTES
Despite the fact that this manual page constantly and consistently refers to Morse code elements as dots and dashes, DO NOT think in these terms when trying to learn Morse code. Always think of them as 'dit's and 'dah's. SEE ALSO
Man pages for libcw(3,LOCAL), cw(1,LOCAL), cwgen(1,LOCAL), cwcp(1,LOCAL), and xcwcp(1,LOCAL). CW Tutor Package CW(7)