Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tar'ing and zipping files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar'ing and zipping files Post 302072408 by DR_DAVE on Tuesday 2nd of May 2006 02:55:32 PM
Old 05-02-2006
Yes, you can:

tar cf - * | zip_program > tarballname.tar.gz

This is generic, so fill in where appropriate. Some compression programs need a flag to go to standard out so double check.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Error tar'ing files to tape

I'm trying to tar a bunch of files off to a tape, but for one specific file (it is fairly large, roughly 10Gb) I get the error: too large to archive Does tar have a limit of the size of file it can write off to tape? I'm using SunOS 5.8. Thanks! -Fred (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar'ing and regular expressions

Hi, How do I tar all but a specific set of files in a directory? Is it possible to use regular expressions in the tar command? I want to tar all files except those beginning with D. I tried this tar -cvf files.tar ^ but this didn't work. Anyone any ideas. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbrian
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar-ing the correct directories

Hi all, my directory structure is as follows /a/b/c. I would like to tar the /a directory including the subdirectories b and c. i intend to use the command tar -cvfz a.tgz a/ My question is where do i execute the command? do i execute it at the '/' prompt or at '/a' prompt ? My concern at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zipping all the tar files to singlr file in directory

Hi, i have more than 300 tar files in directory and i want to zip all tar files to single file. could anybody tell me the command since i know how to do zip for single tar file: bash-3.00$gzip 2008_11_10.tar bash-3.00$ pwd /oracle1/archivebackup in this directory i have lot files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash.gr
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing and sed'ing chunks in bash... need help on speeding up a log parser.

I have a file that is 20 - 80+ MB in size that is a certain type of log file. It logs one of our processes and this process is multi-threaded. Therefore the log file is kind of a mess. Here's an example: The logfile looks like: "DATE TIME - THREAD ID - Details", and a new file is created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elinenbe
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar-ing folders in a folder

How do I create individual tars of a all the directories in a directory? I have a directory called 'patients', each patient has a directory in the patients directory. I want to create tars such that each patient has their own tar file. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: HappyPhysicist
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

zipping functionality (tar) not working as expected

Hi all, I here have an index file ($index) which lists the full paths of some files, and am tying to use "tar" to zip all of them. I ran a command like below, cat $index | xargs tar -rcf $archived_file Strangely I noticed only part of files in that index were zipped in my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: isaacniu
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Speed problems with tar'ing a 500Gb directory on an eSATA drive

I'm trying to compress a directory structure on an external hard drive, connected by eSATA cable to my linux (Ubuntu 10.04) desktop. The total volume is 500Gb with half a million files, ranging from Kb to Mb in size. The drive is 2Tb, with 0.8Tb free space before compression. running "tar -pcf... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: omnisppot
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and removing the old files and zipping the files using shell script

Hi, I am trying to removing the old files which were older than 10 days and same g zipping the files using the shell script. script was return as follows. find /jboss7_homes/JBOSS7/SKYLIV??/SKYLIV??_CRM/jboss-eap-7.0/standalone/log -mtime +10 -type f | xargs rm -f find /cer_skyliv??/log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
6 Replies
GIT-TAR-TREE(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-TAR-TREE(1)

NAME
git-tar-tree - Create a tar archive of the files in the named tree object SYNOPSIS
git tar-tree [--remote=<repo>] <tree-ish> [ <base> ] DESCRIPTION
THIS COMMAND IS DEPRECATED. Use git archive with --format=tar option instead (and move the <base> argument to --prefix=base/). Creates a tar archive containing the tree structure for the named tree. When <base> is specified it is added as a leading path to the files in the generated tar archive. git tar-tree behaves differently when given a tree ID versus when given a commit ID or tag ID. In the first case the current time is used as modification time of each file in the archive. In the latter case the commit time as recorded in the referenced commit object is used instead. Additionally the commit ID is stored in a global extended pax header. It can be extracted using git get-tar-commit-id. OPTIONS
<tree-ish> The tree or commit to produce tar archive for. If it is the object name of a commit object. <base> Leading path to the files in the resulting tar archive. --remote=<repo> Instead of making a tar archive from local repository, retrieve a tar archive from a remote repository. CONFIGURATION
tar.umask This variable can be used to restrict the permission bits of tar archive entries. The default is 0002, which turns off the world write bit. The special value "user" indicates that the archiving user's umask will be used instead. See umask(2) for details. EXAMPLES
git tar-tree HEAD junk | (cd /var/tmp/ && tar xf -) Create a tar archive that contains the contents of the latest commit on the current branch, and extracts it in /var/tmp/junk directory. git tar-tree v1.4.0 git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release. git tar-tree v1.4.0^{tree} git-1.4.0 | gzip >git-1.4.0.tar.gz Create a tarball for v1.4.0 release, but without a global extended pax header. git tar-tree --remote=example.com:git.git v1.4.0 >git-1.4.0.tar Get a tarball v1.4.0 from example.com. git tar-tree HEAD:Documentation/ git-docs > git-1.4.0-docs.tar Put everything in the current head's Documentation/ directory into git-1.4.0-docs.tar, with the prefix git-docs/. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-TAR-TREE(1)