Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: tar'ing and zipping files
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers tar'ing and zipping files Post 302072407 by FredSmith on Tuesday 2nd of May 2006 02:14:06 PM
Old 05-02-2006
Thank you, that tars them up perfectly.

To zip them, should I wait until after they're all tar'red, and then zip, or is there a way to zip as they are tar'ing?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Error tar'ing files to tape

I'm trying to tar a bunch of files off to a tape, but for one specific file (it is fairly large, roughly 10Gb) I get the error: too large to archive Does tar have a limit of the size of file it can write off to tape? I'm using SunOS 5.8. Thanks! -Fred (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar'ing and regular expressions

Hi, How do I tar all but a specific set of files in a directory? Is it possible to use regular expressions in the tar command? I want to tar all files except those beginning with D. I tried this tar -cvf files.tar ^ but this didn't work. Anyone any ideas. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirbrian
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar-ing the correct directories

Hi all, my directory structure is as follows /a/b/c. I would like to tar the /a directory including the subdirectories b and c. i intend to use the command tar -cvfz a.tgz a/ My question is where do i execute the command? do i execute it at the '/' prompt or at '/a' prompt ? My concern at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: new2ss
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zipping all the tar files to singlr file in directory

Hi, i have more than 300 tar files in directory and i want to zip all tar files to single file. could anybody tell me the command since i know how to do zip for single tar file: bash-3.00$gzip 2008_11_10.tar bash-3.00$ pwd /oracle1/archivebackup in this directory i have lot files... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakash.gr
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing and sed'ing chunks in bash... need help on speeding up a log parser.

I have a file that is 20 - 80+ MB in size that is a certain type of log file. It logs one of our processes and this process is multi-threaded. Therefore the log file is kind of a mess. Here's an example: The logfile looks like: "DATE TIME - THREAD ID - Details", and a new file is created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elinenbe
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar command to explore multiple layers of tar and tar.gz files

Hi all, I have a tar file and inside that tar file is a folder with additional tar.gz files. What I want to do is look inside the first tar file and then find the second tar file I'm looking for, look inside that tar.gz file to find a certain directory. I'm encountering issues by trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashnewbee
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tar-ing folders in a folder

How do I create individual tars of a all the directories in a directory? I have a directory called 'patients', each patient has a directory in the patients directory. I want to create tars such that each patient has their own tar file. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: HappyPhysicist
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

zipping functionality (tar) not working as expected

Hi all, I here have an index file ($index) which lists the full paths of some files, and am tying to use "tar" to zip all of them. I ran a command like below, cat $index | xargs tar -rcf $archived_file Strangely I noticed only part of files in that index were zipped in my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: isaacniu
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Speed problems with tar'ing a 500Gb directory on an eSATA drive

I'm trying to compress a directory structure on an external hard drive, connected by eSATA cable to my linux (Ubuntu 10.04) desktop. The total volume is 500Gb with half a million files, ranging from Kb to Mb in size. The drive is 2Tb, with 0.8Tb free space before compression. running "tar -pcf... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: omnisppot
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Find and removing the old files and zipping the files using shell script

Hi, I am trying to removing the old files which were older than 10 days and same g zipping the files using the shell script. script was return as follows. find /jboss7_homes/JBOSS7/SKYLIV??/SKYLIV??_CRM/jboss-eap-7.0/standalone/log -mtime +10 -type f | xargs rm -f find /cer_skyliv??/log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkat918
6 Replies
ZIPMERGE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       ZIPMERGE(1)

NAME
zipmerge - merge zip archives SYNOPSIS
zipmerge [-DhIiSsV] target-zip source-zip Op source-zip ... DESCRIPTION
zipmerge merges the source zip archives source-zip into the target zip archive target-zip. By default, files in the source zip archives overwrite existing files of the same name in the target zip archive. Supported options: -D Ignore directory components in file name comparisons. -h Display a short help message and exit. -I Ignore case in file name comparisons -i Ask before overwriting files. See also -s. -S Do not overwrite files that have the same size and CRC32 in both the source and target archives. -s When -i is given, do not before overwriting files that have the same size and CRC32. -V Display version information and exit. EXIT STATUS
zipmerge exits 0 on success and 1 if an error occurred. SEE ALSO
zipcmp(1), ziptorrent(1), libzip(3) AUTHORS
Dieter Baron <dillo@giga.or.at> and Thomas Klausner <tk@giga.or.at> NiH June 4, 2008 ZIPMERGE(1)