Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: log file checking
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting log file checking Post 302072359 by ranj@chn on Tuesday 2nd of May 2006 02:04:33 AM
Old 05-02-2006
use grep

see the -c option of grep.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

checking size of the first line in a log file

Hi My test.log file looks like this: 0 190_GSTV_HUX_003QISCGSK026_error070322_115331917.log 34 190_GSTV_HUX_003QISCGSK026_error070117_151311385.log 12 190_GSTV_HUX_003QISCGSK026_error070117_151230001.log 2 190_GSTV_HUX_003QISCGSK026_error070117_101010001.log 0... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiran1112
19 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error checking a file from previous file size

Hi, I'm currently trying to write a script that checks a log file for certain errors. Once checked it then records the filesize in another file. All this is fine, my problem is that the next time I do my error check I only want to check from previously recorded filesize to the end of file. I'm... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stuck1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file existence and checking file size

I want to check the files in particular directory are more that 0 Bytes i.e, Non zero byte file. The script should print a msg if all the files in that directory are empty( 0 Byte). (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lathish
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking for a control file before processing a data file

Hi All, I am very new to Shell scripting... I got a requirement. I will have few text files(data files) in a particular directory. they will be with .txt extension. With same name, but with a different extension control files also will be there. For example, Sample_20081001.txt is the data... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: purna.cherukuri
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking the directory and concatenate the data of all the log files in that dir

Hi Gurus, I am new to unix and need your help to make a shell script. I have a requirement, would appreciate if you could please help me on it: Requirement: ------------- I will pass 2 parameters in shell script 1). Directory name say errors 2). file extension say .log First of all this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anshulinpc
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script for checking yesterday's log

Hi, Have to check log file for yesterday, I have tried this script, but it is showing error as -d illegal option. res=max_total`date -d'yesterday'+%y%m%d`.log res=max_total`date +%y%m%d`.log this is working fine for today. Please help me on this. Thanks in advance, Neha. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: NehaKrish
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script check for file, alert if not there, and continue checking until file arrives

All, Is there a way to keep checking for a file over and over again in the same script for an interval of time? Ie If { mail -user continue checking until file arrives file arrives tasks exit I don't want the script to run each time and email the user each time a file... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking postfix mail log with AWK

Hello, Few days ago I found a person checking his mail log by AWK. But unfortunately I forget to take the command from him. Today I got to need that command badly. Here is a reference. When I check from my mail log like this it will not show me the details. grep "from=<noreply@panix.com>"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinti
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: File Checking Issues with 9 multiple file

Hi, I have 9 files which are generated dynamically & if there is a some condition which doesn't meet the criteria then file is not created or is of zero size. so further i am unable to consolidate the files based on following code 1 awk -F, -v ptime="201407" 'FNR==1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siramitsharma
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking Multiple File existance in a UNIX folder(Note: File names are all different)

HI Guys, I have some 8 files with different name and extensions. I need to check if they are present in a specific folder or not and also want that script to show me which all are not present. I can write if condition for each file but from a developer perspective , i feel that is not a good... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankarpanda003
3 Replies
BF_TAR(1)						    Bogofilter Reference Manual 						 BF_TAR(1)

NAME
bf_tar - shell script to write a tar file of a bogofilter directory to stdout SYNOPSIS
bf_tar [-r] [-R] bogofilter_directory DESCRIPTION
bf_tar bundles a bogofilter working directory in tar format and copies it to standard output (your console, or where you redirect it, see EXAMPLES below). OPTIONS
The -r option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files after the archive has been written successfully. The default is to leave log files. The -R option causes bf_tar to remove inactive log files before the archive is written. This may reduce chances that the resulting archive is recoverable should it become damaged. The archive may be smaller though. The default is to leave log files. EXIT STATUS
The script exits with status code 0 if everything went well, and nonzero if it encountered trouble. EXAMPLES
o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter > outfile.tar Writes a standard .tar file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar. o bf_tar ~/.bogofilter | gzip -9 -c > outfile.tar.gz Writes a gzipped .tar.gz file containing the essential files from ~/.bogofilter to outfile.tar.gz. o bf_tar `pwd`/mydirectory > outfile.tar Prepend $(pwd)/ or `pwd`/ if you want to specify an absolute path instead of a relative path. NOTES
This script is meant for use with Berkeley DB based bogofilter versions. This script requires a SUSv2 compliant pax utility. This script expects a SUSv2 compliant shell. Solaris systems should have the SUNWxcu4 package installed (when bogofilter is configured) so that /usr/xpg4/bin/sh can be used. AUTHORS
Matthias Andree Bogofilter 03/15/2010 BF_TAR(1)