Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: hdds physically
Operating Systems HP-UX hdds physically Post 302072205 by buffoonix on Friday 28th of April 2006 07:51:13 PM
Old 04-28-2006
I would rather dd from the raw device and read bigger chunks
e.g.
dd if=/dev/rdsk/c?t?d? of=/dev/null bs=1024k

If your disk is defunct then the command would probably hang and could not be killed.
Therefore better start it as a batch job,
or if run from the console run tsm before
to have another virtual terminal to leave you a prompt.

You could also let the device try to identify

diskinfo -v /dev/rdsk/c?t?d?

If not all fields are populated there might be a problem with the disk.

Also see if ioscan reports loss of hardware

/usr/sbin/ioscan -fCdisk|grep NO_HW

If you have OnlineDiag installed (swlist OnlineDiag)
you could run stm and read info logs of disk.

If you have EMS running you should check its log for any
monitoring events
more /var/opt/resmon/logs/event.log
But if you had it should have warned you by some notification email.

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How to check if rsc is physically exist

I have a bunch of servers that cant connect via rsc, but supposingly they can connect... Any chance I can check if the rsc card is physically exist in the server by some command? Some of the machines are in overseas, and I won't go datacenter to check anyways... Many Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicole0404
6 Replies

2. Solaris

Physically identify hard disk.

Hi, I have a failed hard disk in my Sun Fire V240. Unfortunately it does not show up in 'cfgadm -al' or in the format command so I cannot unconfigure it and illuminate the blue light on the front to identify it. Is there any way of iluminating the blue lights on the other disks so I can at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcman
3 Replies

3. Solaris

SPARC T4-1/Solaris 11/Add 2 new HDDs in RAID 0 configuration

Hi, Couple of sentences for background: I'm a software developer, whose task was to create a server software for our customer. Software is ready for deployment and customer has a new T4-1 SPARC, but somehow it also became my task also to setup the server. I have managed to get the server is up... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: julumme
13 Replies

4. AIX

IBM AIX 5.2 cloning Hdds

I have an old IBM Power 5 9111-520 that has data on it but the system is failing. I need to move it to a more reliable server. The current system has two drives and no raid. I would like to setup my "newer" system with raid and two partitions then clone my setup over. What is the best way to do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BDC80
2 Replies
mhddfs(1)						      General Commands Manual							 mhddfs(1)

NAME
mhddfs - The driver combines a several mount points into the single one. SYNOPSIS
mhddfs /dir1,/dir2[,/path/to/dir3] /path/to/mount [-o options] mhddfs /dir1 dir2,dir3 /mount/point [-o options] ... fusermount -u /path/to/mount fstab record example: mhddfs#/path/to/dir1,/path/to/dir2 /mnt/point fuse defaults 0 0 mhddfs#/dir1,/dir2,/dir3 /mnt fuse logfile=/var/log/mhddfs.log 0 0 OPTIONS
with an -o option1,option2... you can specify some additional options: logfile=/path/to/file.log specify a file that will contain debug information. loglevel=x 0 - debug messages 1 - info messages 2 - standard (default) messages mlimit=size[m|k|g] a free space size threshold If a drive has the free space less than the threshold specifed then another drive will be choosen while creat- ing a new file. If all the drives have free space less than the threshold specified then a drive containing most free space will be choosen. Default value is 4G, minimum value is 100M. This option accepts suffixes: [mM] - megabytes [gG] - gigabytes [kK] - kilobytes For an information about the additional options see output of: mhddfs -h DESCRIPTION
The file system allows to unite a several mount points (or directories) to the single one. So a one big filesystem is simulated and this makes it possible to combine a several hard drives or network file systems. This system is like unionfs but it can choose a drive with the most of free space, and move the data between drives transparently for the applications. While writing files they are written to a 1st hdd until the hdd has the free space (see mlimit option), then they are written on a 2nd hdd, then to 3rd etc. df will show a total statistics of all filesystems like there is a big one hdd. If an overflow arises while writing to the hdd1 then a file content already written will be transferred to a hdd containing enough of free space for a file. The transferring is processed on-the-fly, fully transparent for the application that is writing. So this behaviour simu- lates a big file system. WARNINGS The filesystems are combined must provide a possibility to get their parameters correctly (e.g. size of free space). Otherwise the writing failure can occur (but data consistency will be ok anyway). For example it is a bad idea to combine a several sshfs systems together. Please read FUSE documentation for a further conception. COPYRIGHT
Distributed under GPLv3 Copyright (C) 2008 Dmitry E. Oboukhov <dimka@avanto.org> February 2008 mhddfs(1)