Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Struggling with a text file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Struggling with a text file Post 302071793 by vgersh99 on Monday 24th of April 2006 03:01:39 PM
Old 04-24-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by pau
Code:
sed 's/\[abs, ps, pdf, other\]//' llll.txt > dddd.txt

not very elegant indeed...
Code:
echo ' Authors: [21]M. Novello, [22]E. Huguet, [23]J. Queva' | sed 's/\[[0-9][0-9]*\]//g;s/\[[a-z, ][a-z, ]*\]//g'

echo '   astro-ph/0604476 [[11]abs, [12]ps, [13]pdf, [14]other] :' | sed 's/\[[0-9][0-9]*\]//g;s/\[[a-z, ][a-z, ]*\]//g'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

struggling with addusr ...

I'm completely new to UNIX, and having got the hang of directory navigation / creation (Just about), I think it is time to create an FTP account, so that I can upload a web site remotely. Herein lies the problem... 1: I cannot find a breakdown of addusr commands, so I cannot create a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dufty
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Struggling with mkfifo

Gurus, I did my research (on google, this site and my local library) but I am *still* lost. I am trying to teach myself about `named pipes` playing around with MKFIFO (Why not?). (1) It seems MKNOD is reserved to ROOT whereas MKFIFO is accessible to all users. Am I correct? If the answer is... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
20 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help- Unix File Compare- Struggling

I had posted this earlier about 3 weeks ago and had recieved a response and I did sort both the files and the comm command is still not working. Can someone please assist me, I would really appreciate it. Below is what I am trying to do I need to compare File A with File B and create FILE C... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guiguy
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

struggling within awk

!#/bin/bash cat input.sh | awk ' { cur1=tolower($1) cur2=tolower($2) rsh $cur1 report | grep $cur2 # i just want to make the code line to work } ' the error which i get is .... ./madh1.sh: line 1: !#/bin/bash: No such file or directory awk: cmd. line:13: rsh $cur1 report |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: geeko
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Struggling with arrays and delimited file

Hi, I am trying to use arrays in my script but can not seem to get it to work. I have a file called sections, this contains headers from a tripwire log file, separated by "@" but could be "," if easier The headers will be used to cut sections from the log file into another to be mailed. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pobman
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Struggling with AWK

I know this is an easy problem, but I've been struggling with it all morning and finally admit I need help. I have two files that I need to compare. After doing this the easy way (grep -F) I realize that there are other fields in file2 that match field1 in file1, so I turned to awk. I want to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: moldoverb
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Struggling to combine two Greps statements

Greetings! I have been tasked to create a report off files we receive from our hardware suppliers. I need to grep these files for two fields 'Test_Version' and 'Model-Manufacturer' ; for each field, I need to capture their corresponding values. When running each statement separately, I get... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting a text file with irregular spacing into a space delimited text file?

I have a text file with irregular spacing between values which makes it really difficult to manipulate. Is there an easy way to convert it into a space delimited text file so that all the spaces, double spaces, triple spaces, tabs between numbers are converted into spaces. The file looks like this:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing file: struggling against sed command

Hello fellows, Sure you can help this poor guy that is struggling against sed command, being unable to tame it I have a lot of files like this: From this one, I need to obtain values highlighted in bold/red To do so, I am executing this piece of code inside a loop: ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: manolain
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match text to lines in a file, iterate backwards until text or text substring matches, print to file

hi all, trying this using shell/bash with sed/awk/grep I have two files, one containing one column, the other containing multiple columns (comma delimited). file1.txt abc12345 def12345 ghi54321 ... file2.txt abc1,text1,texta abc,text2,textb def123,text3,textc gh,text4,textd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shogun1970
6 Replies
abs(3C) 						   Standard C Library Functions 						   abs(3C)

NAME
abs, labs, llabs - return absolute value of integer SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int abs(int val); long labs(long lval); long long llabs(long long llval); DESCRIPTION
The abs() function returns the absolute value of its int operand. The labs() function returns the absolute value of its long operand. The llabs() function returns the absolute value of its long long operand. USAGE
In 2's-complement representation, the absolute value of the largest magnitude negative integral value is undefined. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 24 Jul 2002 abs(3C)