Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting KSH split string into variables Post 302071673 by drd_2b on Sunday 23rd of April 2006 03:27:58 PM
Old 04-23-2006
KSH split string into variables

Hello,
I am an intermediate scripter. I can usually find and adapt what I need by searching through previous postings, but I'm stumped.

I have a string with the format "{Name1 Release1 Type1 Parent1} {Name2 Release2 Type2 Parent2}". It is being passed as an argument into a ksh script. I need to split this string into variables such as:
Pkg1Name="Name1"
Pkg1Release="Release1"
Pkg1Type="Type1"
Pkg1Parent="Parent1"
Pkg2Name="Name2"
Pkg2Release="Release2"
Pkg2Type="Type2"
Pkg2Parent="Parent2"

Does anyone have any ideas how this may be accomplished, please?
Thanks!
D

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

variables in ksh

I'm new to unix scripting. How would I go about pulling the first 3 characters from a variable in ksh and storing in another variable? Thanks. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve6368
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[KSH] Split string into array

Hi, Is there any way to convert a string into an array in KSH? In other words I want to split the string like this: STRING="one two three four" into an array of 4 values splitting on white space. The array should be similar to the one that would be created with the following command: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: piooooter
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash:How to split one string variable in two variables?

Hello, I have a paramter $param consisting just of two literals and want to split it into two parameters, so I can combine it to a new parameter <char1><string><char2>, but the following code didn't work: tmp_PARAM_1=cut -c1 $PARAM tmp_PARAM_2=cut -c2 $PARAM... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ABE2202
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split lines in a file and store them in variables

Hi, I have a file called files.txt which contains data like http://abc.xyz.com/ghi/klm/nop/qrs/tuv/wxyz/ There are multiple lines like the above in this file. In .sh script, I would like to read this file, split each line, and store the variable of "qrs" and "wxyz" in separate variables. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: archana.n
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH script for split a txt file

I have a problem which I would like to solve by using UNIX power and inspired minds around world. Here is the problem I have a text file and it has data as follows 1X.....................1234567890123456789T1234598765XT1 (header) 1Z01............(sub HEADER) P100001............ Q1........... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ask.chowhan
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formating variables in KSH

Hi Friends , I want to know how to format the output for the following: i searched in the forum and couldnt get the exact requirement. Thanks in advance . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: i150371485
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split the sql output into two different variables

Hi, How to set as variable from sql output. Query: select aa.serial, ao.name from ann_amit aa JOIN ann_object ao on (aa.classid=ao.classid); I got two values from aa.serial and ao.name, I wanna make two different variable for aa.serial and ao.name. The value of aa.serial should be in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KarthikPS
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH: Split String into smaller substrings based on count

KSH HP-SOL-Lin Cannot use xAWK I have several strings that are quite long and i want to break them down into smaller substrings. What I have String = "word1 word2 word3 word4 .....wordx" What I want String1="word1 word2" String2="word 3 word4" String3="word4 word5" Stringx="wordx... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh : split hex number group

Hi, sry for poor english I have a group of hex number as : 4D40:4D42 I want so split this group in a list as : 4D40,4D41,4D42 i don't know how i can do this in ksh Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jocazh
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh String Manipulation - removing variables from within a variable

Hi. I'd like to remove all values in a string variable that also exist in a second variable. What is the appropriate approach to take here? I can use a 'For' loop and check each element and then populate a new string. But is there a cleaner, simpler way? E.g. I have the following 2 variables ... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: user052009
19 Replies
split(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  split(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
split - Split a string into a proper Tcl list SYNOPSIS
split string ?splitChars? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns a list created by splitting string at each character that is in the splitChars argument. Each element of the result list will con- sist of the characters from string that lie between instances of the characters in splitChars. Empty list elements will be generated if string contains adjacent characters in splitChars, or if the first or last character of string is in splitChars. If splitChars is an empty string then each character of string becomes a separate element of the result list. SplitChars defaults to the standard white-space char- acters. EXAMPLES
Divide up a USENET group name into its hierarchical components: split "comp.lang.tcl.announce" . -> comp lang tcl announce See how the split command splits on every character in splitChars, which can result in information loss if you are not careful: split "alpha beta gamma" "temp" -> al {ha b} {} {a ga} {} a Extract the list words from a string that is not a well-formed list: split "Example with {unbalanced brace character" -> Example with {unbalanced brace character Split a string into its constituent characters split "Hello world" {} -> H e l l o { } w o r l d PARSING RECORD-ORIENTED FILES Parse a Unix /etc/passwd file, which consists of one entry per line, with each line consisting of a colon-separated list of fields: ## Read the file set fid [open /etc/passwd] set content [read $fid] close $fid ## Split into records on newlines set records [split $content " "] ## Iterate over the records foreach rec $records { ## Split into fields on colons set fields [split $rec ":"] ## Assign fields to variables and print some out... lassign $fields userName password uid grp longName homeDir shell puts "$longName uses [file tail $shell] for a login shell" } SEE ALSO
join(n), list(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
list, split, string Tcl split(n)