Sponsored Content
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) UNIX executables on Mac OS X Tiger Post 302071613 by thorninc on Saturday 22nd of April 2006 05:07:52 PM
Old 04-22-2006
Bug UNIX executables on Mac OS X Tiger

Question:

Can I run a UNIX executable on Mac OS X Tiger?

If so, how is it done?

Background:

I FTP'd my schools UNIX server some C++ code and header files. Then I used Telnet to get g++ to compile them.

I then FTP'd the UNIX executable back to my PowerBook G4.

I've already used chmod to allow me to read and write from/to the file. I've also tried the command ./UNIXHashTable to run it. Here is the result fo that effort:

Thorn-Inc-15-G4:~/Desktop antonthorn$ chmod u+rwx UNIXHashTable
Thorn-Inc-15-G4:~/Desktop antonthorn$ ./UNIXHashTable
-bash: ./UNIXHashTable: cannot execute binary file

P.S. It's not a big deal if I can't run this program on my Mac without having to recompile it, but if there is a way it can be done, I'd like to know how. Thank you in advance! Smilie

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. News, Links, Events and Announcements

Mac OS X - Tiger - Meet the world’s most advanced operating system.

Tiger Unleased Advanced UNIX-Based Technology (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing gdm on mac os x tiger

I was installing gdm on the terminal application and my ISP disconnected. When I reconnected and tried to continue the installation, I got the following message: Waiting for lock on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: adrianzen
0 Replies

3. Programming

help on compiling a C program on Tiger

here is the very simple bob.c: main() { printf("hello"); } i use tiger and i use the command: gcc bob.c and the end result: bob.c: In function ‘main': bob.c:3: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function /‘printf' any help appreciated, i'm just starting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
4 Replies

4. Programming

Problem with Compiling C on Tiger

I've downloaded Xcode and i've done : which "gcc" which "ggc-4.0" and which "c99" all were found in /usr/bin/ however with the script #include <stdio.h> main() { printf("hello, world\n"); } and when I, in command line use the command while in my home dir: gcc cprog.c -o cprog (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleansing_flame
4 Replies

5. Cybersecurity

TARA Tool (Tiger)

Hi everybody. Im a starter on Unix systems.. i need check some security issues on UNIX server something like: ports, last patches, users acount, etc. I need do that, before the server wil be on production enviorement. i Found a tool that i guess does that... TARA. Somebody works with... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaq
0 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Mac OS X Tiger Password Storage

Are Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger passwords only stored in /var/db/shadow/hash? Or is it also used in NetInfo? The reason I am asking is because I wonder if I edit the file in /var/db/shadow/hash and replace the hash inside with my own, will it change the password? Thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ricardo-san
0 Replies
PASSWD(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 PASSWD(1)

NAME
passwd -- modify a user's password SYNOPSIS
passwd [-i infosystem [-l location]] [-u authname] [user] DESCRIPTION
The passwd utility changes the user's password. If the user is not the super-user, passwd first prompts for the current password and will not continue unless the correct password is entered. When entering the new password, the characters entered do not echo, in order to avoid the password being seen by a passer-by. The passwd utility prompts for the new password twice in order to detect typing errors. The new password should be at least six characters long and not purely alphabetic. Its total length should be less than _PASSWORD_LEN (cur- rently 128 characters), although some directory systems allow longer passwords. Numbers, upper case letters, and meta characters are encour- aged. Once the password has been verified, passwd communicates the new password to the directory system. -i infosystem This option specifies where the password update should be applied. Under Mac OS X 10.5 and later, supported directory systems are: PAM (default) Pluggable Authentication Modules. opendirectory A system conforming to Open Directory APIs and supporting updates (including LDAP, etc). If no -l option is specified, the search node is used. file The local flat-files (included for legacy configurations). nis A remote NIS server containing the user's password. -l location This option causes the password to be updated in the given location of the chosen directory system. for file, location may be a file name (/etc/master.passwd is the default) for nis, location may be a NIS domainname for opendirectory, location may be a directory node name for PAM, location is not used -u authname This option specifies the user name to use when authenticating to the directory node. user This optional argument specifies the user account whose password will be changed. This account's current password may be required, even when run as the super-user, depending on the directory system. FILES
/etc/master.passwd The user database /etc/passwd A Version 7 format password file /etc/passwd.XXXXXX Temporary copy of the password file SEE ALSO
chpass(1), login(1), dscl(1), passwd(5), pwd_mkdb(8), vipw(8) Robert Morris and Ken Thompson, UNIX password security. HISTORY
A passwd command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. Mac OS X August 18, 2008 Mac OS X