Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Can't login as SU anymore - SU: NO SHELL Post 302071560 by homechoice on Friday 21st of April 2006 03:33:12 PM
Old 04-21-2006
Error Can't login as SU anymore - SU: NO SHELL

the root shell has been changed in the file /etc/passwd, basically pointing to an incorrect directory. So now every time we login as 'su' I get the message
'su: no shell' so we can't login as superuser.

Is there an easy way to rectify this? please use step by step instructions/commands -

I know one way is to boot off a cd on the machine in single mode and then mount the root dir and then change the file...but I'm unsure about the command line. Is there any other way? I've tried linking the path, but permission rights stopped this.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

cannot login after changing login shell

Hello Everyone, I am a newbie in unix. I was practicing shell scripts on hp unix machine. I changed my current login shell (Korn) to Bourne shell giving the following command. $ chsh username /usr/bash I am using secure shell client for accessing the hp ux server. After which i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hardesh
4 Replies

2. Linux

How to Start a Shell as Login shell instead of ordinary shell

Hi I tried with bash --login option. but the output is siva:~$ bash --login siva:~$ is there any way to make the shell ask for user id and password ( and login as different user instead of using sudo / su ) Thx in advance Siva (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sivaswami
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't SSH as root anymore!

I've screwed something up in my sshd_config apparently, because I can't ssh with root anymore. I had disabled root login for security reasons, but then my ssh credentials with full administrative privelges stopped working. So then I reenabled root login (and reset ssh), but root now isn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cquarry
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Input of char 's' is not possible anymore

Hello, I have a big problem and no idea how to solve it. I was looking up commands in /bin with 'man' as I found 'sh'. In mistake I started the command. Now after that I can not input the character 's' in shell anymore! Even after restarting system the problem is still there. Mysterious... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
7 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Can't login to Vista anymore

hello obviously something got messed up and I can't login to my Vista account anymore. the password was automatically disabled hence it was directly booting into vista. then I installed openSSH and created a password for the user. But vista login doesn't recognize this password and now I can't... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pause shell script till folder doesn't change size anymore

Hi, I recently would like to write a shell script that 1. Runs in the background (can be done with "&", but i'd be happy for other solutions to keep programs running) 2. Does its stuff 3 THEN checks a specified folder for a size change over time (say, each 5 seconds. AND ONLY continues with... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
9 Replies

7. Slackware

Anyone Using Slackware Anymore?

We used to use Slackware, but then moved all our servers to Ubuntu Linux. Does anyone use Slackware anymore? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which of the following command displays your login shell in bash shell?

Options:: A)$shell B)echo $ bash C)echo $ O D)$ O (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghugowda
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script as login shell (passing args to login shell)

Hello all, for security reasons my compagny imposes that my script be launch remotly via ssh under the users login shell. So serverA launches the ssh command to serverB which has a local user with my script as a login shell. Local script works like a charm on his own. serverB$ grep... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick72
20 Replies
SU(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     SU(1)

NAME
su -- substitute user identity SYNOPSIS
su [-] [-flm] [login [args]] DESCRIPTION
The su utility requests appropriate user credentials via PAM and switches to that user ID (the default user is the superuser). A shell is then executed. PAM is used to set the policy su(1) will use. In particular, by default only users in the ``admin'' or ``wheel'' groups can switch to UID 0 (``root''). This group requirement may be changed by modifying the ``pam_group'' section of /etc/pam.d/su. See pam_group(8) for details on how to modify this setting. By default, the environment is unmodified with the exception of USER, HOME, and SHELL. HOME and SHELL are set to the target login's default values. USER is set to the target login, unless the target login has a user ID of 0, in which case it is unmodified. The invoked shell is the one belonging to the target login. This is the traditional behavior of su. The options are as follows: -f If the invoked shell is csh(1), this option prevents it from reading the ``.cshrc'' file. -l Simulate a full login. The environment is discarded except for HOME, SHELL, PATH, TERM, and USER. HOME and SHELL are modified as above. USER is set to the target login. PATH is set to ``/bin:/usr/bin''. TERM is imported from your current environment. The invoked shell is the target login's, and su will change directory to the target login's home directory. - (no letter) The same as -l. -m Leave the environment unmodified. The invoked shell is your login shell, and no directory changes are made. As a security precau- tion, if the target user's shell is a non-standard shell (as defined by getusershell(3)) and the caller's real uid is non-zero, su will fail. The -l (or -) and -m options are mutually exclusive; the last one specified overrides any previous ones. If the optional args are provided on the command line, they are passed to the login shell of the target login. Note that all command line arguments before the target login name are processed by su itself, everything after the target login name gets passed to the login shell. By default (unless the prompt is reset by a startup file) the super-user prompt is set to ``#'' to remind one of its awesome power. ENVIRONMENT
Environment variables used by su: HOME Default home directory of real user ID unless modified as specified above. PATH Default search path of real user ID unless modified as specified above. TERM Provides terminal type which may be retained for the substituted user ID. USER The user ID is always the effective ID (the target user ID) after an su unless the user ID is 0 (root). FILES
/etc/pam.d/su PAM configuration for su. EXAMPLES
su man -c catman Runs the command catman as user man. You will be asked for man's password unless your real UID is 0. su man -c 'catman /usr/share/man /usr/local/man' Same as above, but the target command consists of more than a single word and hence is quoted for use with the -c option being passed to the shell. (Most shells expect the argument to -c to be a single word). su -l foo Simulate a login for user foo. su - foo Same as above. su - Simulate a login for root. SEE ALSO
csh(1), sh(1), group(5), passwd(5), environ(7), pam_group(8) HISTORY
A su command appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. BSD
September 13, 2006 BSD