Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting date-extraction from a file in KSH Post 302071407 by thestevew on Wednesday 19th of April 2006 09:51:34 AM
Old 04-19-2006
How about something like this:

Code:
Code

typeset method=d                            ;# d=find date by delimiter, otherwise use char position

# Variables relating to the input file

typeset sourceline=2                        ;# The line containing the date
typeset sourcedelim=':'                     ;# The delimiter character on the date line
typeset sourceposn=33                       ;# The position on the date line
typeset infile=sourceRecord.txt             ;# Input file

# Variables relating to the output file

typeset outfile=updateRecord.txt            ;# Output file
typeset outtitle="This file is to record the lastest update time" ;# Output header line
typeset outtext="The latest update time is: "                     ;# Label for date line

typeset -i count=0

while read line
do
  count=$(($count + 1))
  if [ $count -eq $sourceline ]; then
    print $outtitle
    if [ "$method" = "d" ]; then
      print $outtext $(print $line|cut -d$sourcedelim -f2)
    else
      print $outtext $(print $line|cut -c$sourceposn-)
    fi
    break
  fi
done < $infile >$outfile

# Copy the remainder of the file using tail (faster than doing it in the loop if
# the file is large

tail +$(($sourceline + 1)) $infile >> $outfile

You might want to find the date by specifying that it follows the first semi-colon (if so then set the method variable to 'd'); or at a specific character position (set method to any other value, or blank).

cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help on file extraction

Hello, Im trying to extract a portion of a big file. Using unique pattern /occurrence , (ex. loginname1,logoff and loginname2,logoff ), I like to print the lines that contain the patterns and the lines between them. Also, create a file for every login occurrence. Thanks for everyone's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apalex
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Report file extraction based on Date range

Hi all, Iam writing a script, which will extract all the files from Start_Date to End_Date. Files are date stamped as YYYYMMDD. For ex: Start_Date='20051001' End_Date='20060331' extract files such as........ ramp_20050810.rpt ramp_20050915.rpt ramp_20051001.rpt ramp_20051010.rpt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

want to get previous date from date command in ksh

I want to get previous date from date command. I am using ksh shell. Exmp: today is 2008.09.04 I want the result : 2008.09.03 Please help. Thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Date and time range extraction via Awk or analysis script?

Hello does anyone know of an awk that will extract log file entries between a specific date and time range, eg: awk '/15\/Dec\/2010:16:10:00/, /15\/Dec\/2010:16:15:00/' access_log but one that works? Or a free command line log file analysis tool/script? I'd like to be able to view... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: competitions
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to Get 60 days Old date from current date in KSH script

Hi i am writing a cron job. so for it i need the 60 days old date form current date in variable. Like today date is 27 jan 2011 then output value will be stote in variable in formet Nov 27. i am using EST date, and tried lot of solution and see lot of post but it did not helpful for me. so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Himanshu_soni
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Extraction

Hi, I have three files as below: AA.DAT20110505063903.Z AA.DAT20110405062903.Z AA.DAT20110305061903.Z All the above files are appended with Date and timestamp in compressed format. I need to extract AA.DAT20110505063903.Z(which is the latest file) from one server and uncompress it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh compare dates INSIDE a file (ie date A is > date B)

In KSH, I am pasting 2 almost identical files together and each one has a date and time on each line. I need to determine if the first instance of the date/time is greater than the 2nd instance of the date/time. If the first instance is greater, I just need to echo that line. I thought I would... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to convert date into no. using date -d +%s syntax in ksh shell

hi friends, I m trying to write a script which compares to dates. for this i am converting dates into no using synatx as below v2=`date | awk '{print $2,$3,$4}'` v3=`date +%s -d "$v2"` this syntax is working in bash shell ,but fails in ksh shell. please suggest on this. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jcpratap
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

FILE_ID extraction from file name and save it in CSV file after looping through each folders

FILE_ID extraction from file name and save it in CSV file after looping through each folders My files are located in UNIX Server, i want to extract file_id and file_name from each file .and save it in a CSV file. How do I do that? I have folders in unix environment, directory structure is... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: princetd001
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print start date to end date, given $1 & $2 in ksh

Dear all, I have an user passing 2 parameter 31/03/2015 and 02/04/2015 to a ksh script. How to print the start date to end date. Expected output is : 31/03/2015 01/04/2015 02/04/2015 Note : 1. Im using aix and ksh 2. I have tried to convert the given input into a date, didnt... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr.rajaravi
0 Replies
typeset(1)							   User Commands							typeset(1)

NAME
typeset, whence - shell built-in functions to set/get attributes and values for shell variables and functions SYNOPSIS
typeset [ +- HLRZfilrtux [n]] [ name [ = value]]... whence [-pv] name... DESCRIPTION
typeset sets attributes and values for shell variables and functions. When typeset is invoked inside a function, a new instance of the variables name is created. The variables value and type are restored when the function completes. The following list of attributes may be specified: -H This flag provides UNIX to host-name file mapping on non-UNIX machines. -L Left justify and remove leading blanks from value. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. When the variable is assigned to, it is filled on the right with blanks or trun- cated, if necessary, to fit into the field. Leading zeros are removed if the -Z flag is also set. The -R flag is turned off. -R Right justify and fill with leading blanks. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field, otherwise it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. The field is left filled with blanks or truncated from the end if the variable is reas- signed. The -L flag is turned off. -Z Right justify and fill with leading zeros if the first non-blank character is a digit and the -L flag has not been set. If n is non-zero it defines the width of the field; otherwise, it is determined by the width of the value of first assignment. -f The names refer to function names rather than variable names. No assignments can be made and the only other valid flags are -t, -u and -x. The flag -t turns on execution tracing for this function. The flag -u causes this function to be marked undefined. The FPATH variable will be searched to find the function definition when the function is referenced. The flag -x allows the func- tion definition to remain in effect across shell procedures invoked by name. -i Parameter is an integer. This makes arithmetic faster. If n is non-zero it defines the output arithmetic base; otherwise, the first assignment determines the output base. -l All upper-case characters are converted to lower-case. The upper-case flag, -u is turned off. -r The given names are marked readonly and these names cannot be changed by subsequent assignment. -t Tags the variables. Tags are user definable and have no special meaning to the shell. -u All lower-case characters are converted to upper-case characters. The lower-case flag, -l is turned off. -x The given names are marked for automatic export to the environment of subsequently-executed commands. The -i attribute can not be specified along with -R, -L, -Z, or -f. Using + rather than - causes these flags to be turned off. If no name arguments are given but flags are specified, a list of names (and optionally the values) of the variables which have these flags set is printed. (Using + rather than - keeps the values from being printed.) If no names and flags are given, the names and attributes of all variables are printed. For each name, whence indicates how it would be interpreted if used as a command name. The -v flag produces a more verbose report. The -p flag does a path search for name even if name is an alias, a function, or a reserved word. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ksh(1), set(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 Feb 1995 typeset(1)