Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Signal question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Signal question Post 302071290 by GCTEII on Friday 14th of April 2006 01:28:08 AM
Old 04-14-2006
A question about usage of '@' '&' '$' '2>&1'

Who can explain the meaning of the &2 &1 or @, #, etc in the script?
Is there any document which can explain the usage of these words in details?
for example:
ls /etc/sysconfig/network > /dev/null 2>&1
#@
bash, ksh and sh.

Thanks in advance for ur advice.

Last edited by GCTEII; 04-14-2006 at 03:53 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kill signal

Hello e'bdy, We have WebSphere MQ running on AIX 5.1 Every weekend MQ receives a kill -30 signal from some process or user and offloads a big error file. There is no way in MQ through which that process can be tracked. Is there something which i can do on UNIX level to trap the process? Best... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhaavinash
3 Replies

2. Programming

Signal Handling

Hi folks I'm trying to write a signal handler (in c on HPUX) that will catch the child process launched by execl when it's finished so that I can check a compliance file. The signal handler appears to catch the child process terminating however when the signal handler completes the parent... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: themezzaman
3 Replies

3. Programming

signal handling question

Hello all, I am starting to learn signal handling in Linux and have been trying out some simple codes to deal with SIGALRM. The code shown below sets a timer to count down. When the timer is finished a SIGALRM is produced. The handler for the signal just increments a variable called count. This... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fox_hound_33
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Killed by signal 15.

Hi all I have Master script, Main script ,and 4 Child script. Master.sh #!/bin/bash /export/home/user/Main.shMain.sh #!/bin/bash /export/home/user/Child1.sh & /export/home/user/Child2.sh & /export/home/user/Child3.sh & /export/home/user/Child4.sh &I run only Master.sh script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: almanto
1 Replies

5. Programming

RLIMIT_STACK signal's

I'am expecting a signal, but no signal is received when the stack-size reaches 10 bytes. Here in this code i'am setting rlim_cur=10bytes. To be more precise, when it reaches 10 bytes the process must receive a SIGSEGV signal? But i find no signal being received. Am i missing something in this... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: prajwalps97
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

need more user signal

Hi In my program I have already used both SIGUSR1 SIGUSR2 user signals. I need another one. How can I do that? Thank you Naama (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naamabm
1 Replies

7. Programming

Question (pthread): How to Signal all threads w/o "broadcast"?

Hello all, Is there any way that I can signal (wake) all threads that I have created without using pthread_cond_broadcast? Cheers! Aaron (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mobility
6 Replies

8. Solaris

Exiting signal 6

Hello all, I have a problem when installing Solaris 10 on Enterprise 450. I booted from dvd, then the installation was started. The error appeared after determining the installation method, F2-Standard, F?-Flash...... The error was Exiting signal 6. Please, need help. Thank you (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hardono
4 Replies

9. Programming

Signal function

Hello I want to know how can i use signal function in c for keyboard interrupt handling. what i exactly want is : my program is processing and if i press any key while processing , the program should call the interrupt and displays/prints that key and now goes back to processing. I added the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jahanzeb
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case signal

Task 1: #!/bin/ksh if then echo "Usage : $0 Signalnumber PID" exit fi case "$1" in 1) echo "Sending SIGHUP signal" kill -SIGHUP $2 ;; 2) echo "Sending SIGINT signal" kill -SIGINT $2 ;; 3) echo "Sending SIGQUIT signal" kill -SIGQUIT $2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ramesh M
3 Replies
shift(1)                                                           User Commands                                                          shift(1)

NAME
shift - shell built-in function to traverse either a shell's argument list or a list of field-separated words SYNOPSIS
sh shift [n] csh shift [variable] ksh * shift [n] DESCRIPTION
sh The positional parameters from $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ... . If n is not given, it is assumed to be 1. csh The components of argv, or variable, if supplied, are shifted to the left, discarding the first component. It is an error for the variable not to be set or to have a null value. ksh The positional parameters from $n+1 $n+1 ... are renamed $1 ..., default n is 1. The parameter n can be any arithmetic expression that evaluates to a non-negative number less than or equal to $#. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 shift(1)