Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multi User Multi Task
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Multi User Multi Task Post 302071141 by amro1 on Wednesday 12th of April 2006 04:09:03 PM
Old 04-12-2006
The future...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reza Nazarian
Thanks a lot for your patience in teaching me.
Sometimes I am hearing that some software companies are claiming that the trend is towards Windows not unix what is your opinion. I am asking this question because I love unix and I can't understand this humors.

If ask you ask I, here's my prognosis:
As we have 3 branches of "real" UNIX
1. Linux, will progress as a humble server platform with virtually no decent desktop applications it has little chance to become a mainstream. There's almost nothing to offer for a modern computing: no real advanced photo editing, no advanced movie-video editing, no reliable office program (try forge your resume once in OpenOffice to assent to this my statement ;-) ). Linux will have profound influence on the entire UNIX community though, as all new, advanced tools come from there... As to my taste BSD still much better choice by many reasons... I think Linux will transform itself to something else or it will dye out to the OS X systems.
2. OS X had become the best UNIX ever, and the best OS in a existence. No one who has spent at least two hours in from of Tiger can go back to anything else. It unites best ever UNIX, that is BSD UNIX with stunning Aqua GUI. It Has all the commercial applications of importance running on it: MS Office (much refined than PC version), Adobe products, extensive multimedia tools, Video editing tools and so on. Great platform.
3. Big UNIXes such as Solaris and AIX (and almost dead HP) have seen better times. Solaris offers a lot but I kind of stumbled by their prices including the cost of service. All three had been the mainstream with corporative environment but gradually lose ground to Linux and OS X. Some 5-6 years ago Sun (along with ver much dead Silicon Graphics) had been a major player on graphical systems market. As far as I know this market was lost by Sun completely. AIX is one hardware platform system but for industrial environment, to my taste it is the best. It is very reliable with outstanding technical support and great, easy to use administration tools. It is possible to manage complete powerful system with sophisticated volume management after mere one week training.

Windows. I think Microsoft is in demise. It has been postponed for four years in row the release of the new version and it speaks for itself. If money hungry MS postpones release it means it implies that HUGE number of problems that it may cause massive departure from this platform. The whole conception behind Windows with deep interlinking of all embedded components made the project unmanageable. It is not only that it takes too long to publish release, it will take as much long to produce any relevant updates. I don't think Microsoft as a producer of operating systems will make it to 2010.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

multi-file multi-edit

Good day! I am trying to learn how to use the "sed" editor, to perform multiple edits on multiple files in multiple directories. I have one script that tries to call up each file and process it according to the edits listed in a second script. I am using a small input text to test these, at... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kielitaide
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Poor resourece allocation (multi-user system)

All, I am an intermediate user, and am running SAS on a nice Solaris machine. However, even when top says that no other programs are running, the machine will only give me 5-7% processor power. Is this a configuration problem with SAS or the way the server is configured? Is there any way I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dj_is
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

A comparison of the multi-user facilities in Unix and Microsoft Windows.

hi guys just give me some information about multi user facilities that unix offer in cmparison to windows. Thanx (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nadman123
2 Replies

4. Solaris

stay in multi user mode but stop logins to system?

I want to apply patches in multiuser mode but stop logins of other users while I do it? What is the best way to do this? I will be connected to the system via a putty session over a serial cable from another system (console is messed up)... Should I put in a dummy passwd and shadow file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: NewSolarisAdmin
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a multi user input form

Hi All, Please ignore if terminology used is incorrect as I am new to Unix. I want to create a Multi user input form which looks something like this: ABCD TOOL Logged User: abcd12 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vidhu0007
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multi-line filtering based on multi-line pattern in a file

I have a file with data records separated by multiple equals signs, as below. ========== RECORD 1 ========== RECORD 2 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 3 ========== RECORD 4 DATA LINE ========== RECORD 5 DATA LINE ========== I need to filter out all data from this file where the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Finja
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to substract selective values in multi row, multi column file (using awk or sed?)

Hi, I have a problem where I need to make this input: nameRow1a,text1a,text2a,floatValue1a,FloatValue2a,...,floatValue140a nameRow1b,text1b,text2b,floatValue1b,FloatValue2b,...,floatValue140b look like this output: nameRow1a,text1b,text2a,(floatValue1a - floatValue1b),(floatValue2a -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nricardo
4 Replies

8. Programming

Multi head/multi window hello world

I am trying to write a large X app. I have successfully modified my xorg.conf to setup 4 monitors on an NVIDIA Quatro5200. I am trying to modify a simple hello world application to open a window on three of the four monitors. depending on the changes to loop the window creation section and event... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: advorak
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with reformat single-line multi-fasta into multi-line multi-fasta

Input File: >Seq1 ASDADAFASFASFADGSDGFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSDFSD >Seq2 SDASDAQEQWEQeqAdfaasd >Seq3 ASDSALGHIUDFJANCAGPATHLACJHPAUTYNJKG ...... Desired Output File >Seq1 ASDADAFASF ASFADGSDGF SDFSDFSDFS DFSDFSDFSD FSDFSDFSDF SD >Seq2 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrick87
4 Replies
SYSTEMD-LOGIND.SERVICE(8)				      systemd-logind.service					 SYSTEMD-LOGIND.SERVICE(8)

NAME
systemd-logind.service, systemd-logind - Login manager SYNOPSIS
systemd-logind.service /usr/lib/systemd/systemd-logind DESCRIPTION
systemd-logind is a system service that manages user logins. It is responsible for: o Keeping track of users and sessions, their processes and their idle state o Providing PolicyKit-based access for users to operations such as system shutdown or sleep o Implementing a shutdown/sleep inhibition logic for applications o Handling of power/sleep hardware keys o Multi-seat management o Session switch management o Device access management for users o Automatic spawning of text logins (gettys) on virtual console activation and user runtime directory management User sessions are registered in logind via the pam_systemd(8) PAM module. See logind.conf(5) for information about the configuration of this service. See Multi-Seat on Linux[1] for an introduction into basic concepts of logind such as users, sessions and seats. See the logind D-Bus API Documentation[2] for information about the APIs systemd-logind provides. For more information on the inhibition logic see the Inhibitor Lock Developer Documentation[3]. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), systemd-user-sessions.service(8), loginctl(1), logind.conf(5), pam_systemd(8) NOTES
1. Multi-Seat on Linux http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/multiseat 2. logind D-Bus API Documentation http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/logind 3. Inhibitor Lock Developer Documentation http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/inhibit systemd 208 SYSTEMD-LOGIND.SERVICE(8)