Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Optimizing for a Speed-up
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Optimizing for a Speed-up Post 302070833 by switch on Friday 7th of April 2006 08:52:40 PM
Old 04-07-2006
I doing the program in SH.
I know there are utilities such as grep for pattern matching, wc for counting and cut for substring extraction. I know my question was a bit hazy but I've tried changing the code to use these such utilities for a more short/efficient code and thus reducing the interpretor time. Any suggestions on how to do so would be appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

dmidecode, RAM speed = "Current Speed: Unknown"

Hello, I have a Supermicro server with a P4SCI mother board running Debian Sarge 3.1. This is the "dmidecode" output related to RAM info: RAM speed information is incomplete.. "Current Speed: Unknown", is there anyway/soft to get the speed of installed RAM modules? thanks!! Regards :)... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Santi
0 Replies

2. UNIX and Linux Applications

Optimizing query

Hi All, My first thread to this sub-forum and first thread of this sub-forum :) Here it is, Am trying to delete duplicates from a table retaining just 1 duplicate value out of the duplicate records for example : from n records of a table out of which x are duplicates, I want to remove x... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: matrixmadhan
15 Replies

3. OS X (Apple)

Optimizing OSX

Hi forum, I'm administrating a workstation/server for my lab and I was wondering how to optimize OSX. I was wondering what unnecessary background tasks I could kick off the system so I free up as much memory and cpu power. Other optimization tips are also welcome (HD parameters, memory... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deiphon
2 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

data from blktrace: read speed V.S. write speed

I analysed disk performance with blktrace and get some data: read: 8,3 4 2141 2.882115217 3342 Q R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2142 2.882116411 3342 G R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2144 2.882117647 3342 I R 195732187 + 32 8,3 4 2145 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: W.C.C
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing the code

Hi, I have two files in the format listed below. I need to find out all values from field 12 to field 20 present in file 2 and list them in file3(format as file2) File1 : FEIN,CHRISTA... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nua7
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing awk script

Can this awk statement be optimized? i ask because log.txt is a giant file with several hundred thousands of lines of records. myscript.sh: while read line do searchterm="${1}" datecurr=$(date +%s) file=$(awk 'BEGIN{split(ARGV,var,",");print var}' $line) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing search using grep

I have a huge log file close to 3GB in size. My task is to generate some reporting based on # of times something is being logged. I need to find the number of time StringA , StringB , StringC is being called separately. What I am doing right now is: grep "StringA" server.log | wc -l... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimizing bash script

any way the following code can be optimized? FIRSTIN=$( HKIPP=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep -v "mo|MO|Mo" | egrep "m |M ") HRAMH=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep "h|H") HRAMD=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep "d|D") HRAMW=$(echo ${TMFR} | egrep "w|W") HKIPPO=$(echo ${TMFR} |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies

9. Debian

Optimizing exim performance

Hi, Recently, I experienced that exim was slow in sending outgoing mail, it was spending a lot of time in the queue, resulting in customer complains. I came across an article in the internet to optimize the performance of exim in the server. However, the location of the exim.conf is not in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
0 Replies

10. Web Development

Optimizing JS and CSS

Yes. Got few suggestions. - How about minifying resources - mod_expires - Service workers setup https://www.unix.com/attachments/web-programming/7709d1550557731-sneak-preview-new-unix-com-usercp-vuejs-demo-screenshot-png (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
8 Replies
ZGREP(1)                                                      General Commands Manual                                                     ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)