Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers what is Critical section is all about? Post 302070805 by Perderabo on Friday 7th of April 2006 01:07:26 PM
Old 04-07-2006
Well you said it all. It's the same deal. An example is you and I are on the same system and both want to change our passwords at exactly the same time. One of us will succeed..the other will see a message about the password file being locked.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Monitroing Critical Logs

Hi, What are the critical logs need constant monitoring ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sol8admin
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Very Critical

We have a batch job which runs and checks for certain files on a server and retrieves them to our server. But from last few hours the job is not running correctly. It gives msg file now found when there are files present on the server.. Nothing has been changed.................. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shikhakaul
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

ServiceGuard on HP-UX 11.23 Mission Critical

Dear(s), anybody have played ServiceGuard on HP-UX version 11.23 MC ? I am planning to install Oracle and OpenView Operations for Unix 8 on a ServiceGuard clustered HP-UX environment, any suggestionsfrom where should I start ? Best Regards, Mostafa Reda (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darousha
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared Libraries- CRITICAL !!

Hi, I am trying to create a shared library from a .c file using gcc -c -fpic -I/usr/local/include Chksum.C -o Chksum.o gcc -shared -o libtclcksum.so Chksum.o when i try to load this shared library libtclcksum.so in tclsh % load libtclcksum.so I get the following error: couldn't load... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: archana485
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Critical problem in merging lines

Hi all, I am having a very critical problem in merging lines in my file as, let my file contents are: cat test1.txt name1....... address1....... phone1...... <blank> name2...... address2..... phone2..... <blank> and so on. Now i have to merge these lines by which my desired output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadow25
2 Replies

6. AIX

How critical is this info,from syslog?

Hello Gurus I have a linux box which is trying to connect to HOST-1 via ssh.Recently i have been submitted following entries from 'syslog' from this HOST-1. As you can see,there are 3 failed login attempts logged for my user 'eatcid' coming from my linux box to this HOST-1 which is AIX.The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract section of file based on word in section

I have a list of Servers in no particular order as follows: virtualMachines="IIBSBS IIBVICDMS01 IIBVICMA01"And I am generating some output from a pre-existing script that gives me the following (this is a sample output selection). 9/17/2010 8:00:05 PM: Normal backup using VDRBACKUPS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jelloir
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Critical lib renamed

Hello I have moved a critical lib from its location, so all programms linked to libc dont work . I still have two shells on the machine, bash and ksh The only thing I see is copying back the lib, but of course : dd, cp , mv etc are dead . So i tryed a loop with read ... {^Jwhile read... (24 Replies)
Discussion started by: remi75
24 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend first line of section to each line until the next section header

I have searched in a variety of ways in a variety of places but have come up empty. I would like to prepend a portion of a section header to each following line until the next section header. I have been using sed for most things up until now but I'd go for a solution in just about anything--... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pagrus
7 Replies
CRITICAL_ENTER(9)                                          BSD Kernel Developer's Manual                                         CRITICAL_ENTER(9)

NAME
critical_enter, critical_exit -- enter and exit a critical region SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/param.h> #include <sys/systm.h> void critical_enter(void); void critical_exit(void); DESCRIPTION
These functions are used to prevent preemption in a critical region of code. All that is guaranteed is that the thread currently executing on a CPU will not be preempted. Specifically, a thread in a critical region will not migrate to another CPU while it is in a critical region. The current CPU may still trigger faults and exceptions during a critical section; however, these faults are usually fatal. The critical_enter() and critical_exit() functions manage a per-thread counter to handle nested critical sections. If a thread is made runnable that would normally preempt the current thread while the current thread is in a critical section, then the preemption will be deferred until the current thread exits the outermost critical section. Note that these functions are not required to provide any inter-CPU synchronization, data protection, or memory ordering guarantees and thus should not be used to protect shared data structures. These functions should be used with care as an infinite loop within a critical region will deadlock the CPU. Also, they should not be inter- locked with operations on mutexes, sx locks, semaphores, or other synchronization primitives. One exception to this is that spin mutexes include a critical section, so in certain cases critical sections may be interlocked with spin mutexes. HISTORY
These functions were introduced in FreeBSD 5.0. BSD October 5, 2005 BSD