Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Need help with Couldn't canonicalise: Permission denied error Post 302070760 by blowtorch on Friday 7th of April 2006 07:41:47 AM
Old 04-07-2006
The 'couldn't cannonicalize' type of errors come up when the sftp server is unable to access the file/directory mentioned in the command. The 'permission denied' is an indication that one of the directories in the path being accessed does not have read/execute permission for the user trying to access it.

Check the permissions on the directory that the user is trying to accessis giving the error and check the permissions on directories that are not. Then change the permissions to fix the problem.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

rm Permission Denied error

I am very new to Unix. We have a script that will remove files from a directory. The account removing the files has the same permissions as the directory the files are located. We have logged in as the account and deleted the files from that directory but when we run the script with the account... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cech2002
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

getcwd: permission denied error

When I do a 'cd /appl' and issue 'ls -al' command, I get the following error for .. directory. ./..: Permission denied But still I get a listing of other directories under /appl. Also, if I give 'man' for any command under this /appl folder, I get the following error: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deepa
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

xterm gives me permission denied error

When I try to run xterm at a command prompt in solaris 2.5.1, i'm getting a permission denied error. But the directory and user permissions look ok, they are part of a users group and then also root,sys,adm so what gives? Any ideas? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kymberm
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

ERROR : Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive).

Hello, when I try to connect to a remote machine through SSH username@host I am getting the error message Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive). Can any one tell me what is the problem. the key is added in the remote machines authorized_keys file. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepusunil
5 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Permission Denied Error with X11

Hello, I am using Tiger 10.4.11 I am trying out the GIMP, so I installed the X11 package from "Optional Installs" on the cd. Whenever I open X11, I get an error: xterm: could not exec /dev/null: Permission denied I have chmodded /dev/null to 777, as well as the /tmp directory. I deleted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ricardo-san
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change: xecho: execute permission denied error

Hello, I am have an issues with one of my scripts. I get the following error when I get to the point in the script where I am making the change. The change does take however. the error is "change: xecho: execute permission denied" Everything was working properly until I start cleaning... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsonjr
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Getting Error 0403-006 Execute permission denied.

Hi All, Need your help.. I am writing one script in which I am assigning value to one variable but when i am executing it is showing error "0403-006 Execute permission denied" below is the line of that script : INPUT_COUNT=wc $GIF_DIR/input/VID_RIMS.DAT | awk '{print $1}' and access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NirajThakar
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Webserver permission denied error

Hello, I was trying a perl-cgi tutorial and saving the data from online form to a file named (guests.txt). I am using the localhost port 80 for practice. My page file "guestbook.html" is working as I saw the online form. After filled out the blanks and submit, I was expecting to see the result... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Permission denied error using chmod on a cifs mount

I have a RHEL 5.7 system with a cifs mount from a Windows 2007 file server that I need to fix the permissions on. Once the share is mounted the permission for the mount are 777. I need to change that to 770 on the top level directory and to 640 on the sub-directory .ssh/. But when I run chmod... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe, permission denied error

Hello, I am trying to stream lines written into file. When first source is down, I expect the code to swap to second line and run it. Script below works as usual and it prints out each line of the input file (s.txt): #!/bin/bash while read -r line; do echo "$line" done <"$1" exit 0Output... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
12 Replies
ACCESS(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 ACCESS(2)

NAME
access - check real user's permissions for a file SYNOPSIS
#include <unistd.h> int access(const char *pathname, int mode); DESCRIPTION
access() checks whether the calling process can access the file pathname. If pathname is a symbolic link, it is dereferenced. The mode specifies the accessibility check(s) to be performed, and is either the value F_OK, or a mask consisting of the bitwise OR of one or more of R_OK, W_OK, and X_OK. F_OK tests for the existence of the file. R_OK, W_OK, and X_OK test whether the file exists and grants read, write, and execute permissions, respectively. The check is done using the calling process's real UID and GID, rather than the effective IDs as is done when actually attempting an opera- tion (e.g., open(2)) on the file. This allows set-user-ID programs to easily determine the invoking user's authority. If the calling process is privileged (i.e., its real UID is zero), then an X_OK check is successful for a regular file if execute permis- sion is enabled for any of the file owner, group, or other. RETURN VALUE
On success (all requested permissions granted), zero is returned. On error (at least one bit in mode asked for a permission that is denied, or some other error occurred), -1 is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
access() shall fail if: EACCES The requested access would be denied to the file, or search permission is denied for one of the directories in the path prefix of pathname. (See also path_resolution(7).) ELOOP Too many symbolic links were encountered in resolving pathname. ENAMETOOLONG pathname is too long. ENOENT A component of pathname does not exist or is a dangling symbolic link. ENOTDIR A component used as a directory in pathname is not, in fact, a directory. EROFS Write permission was requested for a file on a read-only file system. access() may fail if: EFAULT pathname points outside your accessible address space. EINVAL mode was incorrectly specified. EIO An I/O error occurred. ENOMEM Insufficient kernel memory was available. ETXTBSY Write access was requested to an executable which is being executed. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, 4.3BSD, POSIX.1-2001. NOTES
Warning: Using access() to check if a user is authorized to, for example, open a file before actually doing so using open(2) creates a security hole, because the user might exploit the short time interval between checking and opening the file to manipulate it. For this reason, the use of this system call should be avoided. access() returns an error if any of the access types in mode is denied, even if some of the other access types in mode are permitted. If the calling process has appropriate privileges (i.e., is superuser), POSIX.1-2001 permits implementation to indicate success for an X_OK check even if none of the execute file permission bits are set. Linux does not do this. A file is only accessible if the permissions on each of the directories in the path prefix of pathname grant search (i.e., execute) access. If any directory is inaccessible, then the access() call will fail, regardless of the permissions on the file itself. Only access bits are checked, not the file type or contents. Therefore, if a directory is found to be writable, it probably means that files can be created in the directory, and not that the directory can be written as a file. Similarly, a DOS file may be found to be "exe- cutable," but the execve(2) call will still fail. access() may not work correctly on NFS file systems with UID mapping enabled, because UID mapping is done on the server and hidden from the client, which checks permissions. BUGS
In kernel 2.4 (and earlier) there is some strangeness in the handling of X_OK tests for superuser. If all categories of execute permission are disabled for a nondirectory file, then the only access() test that returns -1 is when mode is specified as just X_OK; if R_OK or W_OK is also specified in mode, then access() returns 0 for such files. Early 2.6 kernels (up to and including 2.6.3) also behaved in the same way as kernel 2.4. In kernels before 2.6.20, access() ignored the effect of the MS_NOEXEC flag if it was used to mount(2) the underlying file system. Since kernel 2.6.20, access() honors this flag. SEE ALSO
chmod(2), chown(2), faccessat(2), open(2), setgid(2), setuid(2), stat(2), euidaccess(3), credentials(7), path_resolution(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2007-07-10 ACCESS(2)