Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting UNIX Find command in Borne Shell Post 302070657 by Perderabo on Thursday 6th of April 2006 11:47:28 AM
Old 04-06-2006
Use two -exec sequences instead.
find . -name x\* -exec ls -ld {} \; -exec cksum {} \;

But this requires that the first command succeed (exit with 0) or the 2nd will not run. This more complex sequence does not require that...
find . -name x\* \( -exec ls -ld {} \; -o -exec cksum {} \; \)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying from borne shell to C shell

Just want to know a few conversion tricks. in Borne Shell, I have the line: if test -s testmap then ... fi ## testmap is a filename and I wanna test whether it exists ## then do whatever How can I convert that to C Shell? I've tried: if (test -s testmap) then ... endif but it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: zenkisoft
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can there be multi-dimensional variable arrays in borne shell?

Hello - I've serached the web but can't find much on array script variables (except that C-shell variables are arrays!) I'm trying to form a 2-D string array: (this is what I want, but in java) String list = { {"one", "two"}, {"three"} }; I know this is a 1-D string array shell... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jparker
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a file in UNIX without find command?

given a start directory,a filename,how to find it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluo
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help With My First Borne Shell Program

I'm working on writing my very first borne shell program and I need some help. I think I'm pretty close to having this correct but I may be off. I think my actual program is coded correctly but the commands I use within it I think are what's throwing it off? **Purpose of the program: To... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: FuzzyNips
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I find the best Unix Shell?

I am new and I would like to know your opinion on the best Unix shell for linux? :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faron17
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Documenattion on Borne And C shell programming

Hi experts, I am new bee in unix programming. How to differenciate a Borne and C shell programming. Can i write a C shell syntax in Borne again shell. Please send me the good links on Borne and Cshell programming . Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated. Regards, Azaz. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: azazalis
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use more than one MPE command STREAM with Unix command in a single shell?

Hello, I have problem in writing the shell script involving MPE command STREAM related to HP-UX and Unix command. Script is sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name1>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name2>' | 'SHOWJOB' | grep $HPJOBNUM" sh "nlshCMD 'STREAM <job name3>' |... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: bosskr
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

borne shell script

I need anwser to this qestion! I havewirte a script that provides line numbered contents of a file which must make use of the following control structures files Command line arguments I am a complete new commer to unix and bourne shell scripting can any one help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: migg-21
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

I am getting strange message when run borne shell script

I have a code: if then#{ process daily files for file in *_${Today}*.csv *_${Today}*.txt do if || then echo "This file will be processed in separate script" continue fi if ;then ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
2 Replies
DH-EXEC-ILLITERATE(1)						      dh-exec						     DH-EXEC-ILLITERATE(1)

NAME
dh-exec-illiterate - Write literate debhelper config files! SYNOPSIS
#! /usr/bin/dh-exec --with=illiterate,subst,install Greetings, my dear reader, and welcome to the awesome world of literate programming! Today, we're going to explore how to write a debhelper install file in a literate manner. Trust me, it's going to be lots and lots of fun! So, what exactly are we trying to accomplish? We're going to try installing a file from `src/this-file' in the source tree, to a multi-arched path in the binary file. Lets say, to `/usr/lib/foo/${DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH}/'. Of course, ${DEB_HOST_MULTIARCH} is a variable, and will be expanded later in the dh-exec pipeline. It'll be something like x86_64-linux-gnu. Furthermore, we want to install all files from the 'usr/lib' directory under debian/tmp. If we were writing an illiteral install file, we'd write this rule as: usr/lib But the above description is much easier to understand, isn't it? We're almost finished! One thing left to do, is to install a script named `rename-me', to `/usr/share/foo/new-name' - we renamed it in the process! DESCRIPTION
The dh-exec-illiterate sub-command, unlike the others, does not serve any particular case, except to serve as a warning to all, that things can be taken to an extreme, even with dh-exec. On the other hand, it is just like the other sub-commands in that it must not be called directly, but through dh-exec(1), which automatically runs all available sub-commands if run bare; or explicitly with dh-exec --with=illiterate. It is a program that will translate its input from pretty much free-form text into something that resembles an install file. At least, that's the only supported output format for now. Everything that's not recognised, will be ignored, and not printed. The recognised constructs are: `source' ... `destination' The first string between a backtick and a single quote will be treated as the source file, the next such string will be the destination. If the destination ends with a slash, dh-exec-illiterate will consider it a directory, otherwise it will output a construct that dh-exec-install can recognise as a rename operation. 'source' A string, without whitespace, between two single quotes is treated as a source, whose destination is unspecified, and is left up to dh_install(1) to figure out. ENVIRONMENT
DH_EXEC_SCRIPTDIR Indicates which directory the command-specific scripts should be sought for. If not specified, scripts will be searched for in /usr/share/dh-exec/. FILES
$DH_EXEC_SCRIPTDIR/dh-exec-illiterate-* The various scripts for the higher-level program. SEE ALSO
debhelper(1), dh-exec(1) AUTHOR
dh-exec-illiterate is copyright (C) 2011-2012 by Gergely Nagy <algernon@madhouse-project.org>. 2012-05-03 DH-EXEC-ILLITERATE(1)