Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ubuntu Needs for installing Arch/Linux? Post 302070385 by rhfrommn on Tuesday 4th of April 2006 11:33:21 AM
Old 04-04-2006
I've dabbled with arch for a couple years and like it a lot. Arch has really good support on their website. To get you started here is the wiki page for installation, with links to about anything you'd need for installing Arch on a new box:
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/...y:Installation

And here is the Official Arch Linux Installation Guide:
http://www.archlinux.org/docs/en/gui...all-guide.html

The basic plan is to download and burn an install CD. I used just the base install, then got everything else from their FTP site. With pacman that is extremely easy since you can just do pacman -S to install a new package with all dependencies taken care of. As long as you have a fast internet connection I'd recommend going that way. If not, you may want the full install CD instead of the base.

As far as what to write down, make sure you have all your networking info and hardware info. The installer will ask you lots of questions to help set up that stuff and get you to the ftp repository. Once you are that far you should be good to go.

Also get a ID on their forums if you haven't yet. I usually get good answers to my questions within a few hours at most.

I've not tried using it on a laptop, but that config you have is plenty good enough. My first Arch box was a 1998 vintage Pentium II 350Mhz with only 256 meg of ram in it, and Arch was screaming fast on that. The only worry I'd have is if the built in modem is one of those Winmodems that runs only with Windows. If you have that it might be a problem, otherwise you should be fine.

Good luck,
Ralph

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing RedHat Linux 7

Hey everybody. Its been awhile since I last posted but in short I am now in posession of RedHat Linux 7.0 which I got from a book called the RedHat 7 Bible. As this is not an official distribution I cannot get product support from RedHat so I decided to try here. I have three computers. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheGoof
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

installing LINUX

I would like to install LINUX alongside my XP environment, but XP uses NTFS file system which cannot be re-partitioned without destroying what is already on my drive. I don't want to do that right now. Can I install LINUX on an external firewire drive such that I will be able to select XP or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pkappaz
1 Replies

3. Red Hat

Installing OpenOffice in Linux

Dear All, Here is my redhat uname -a and cat /etc/redhat-release output Linux hpclnpm.com 2.6.18-128.el5 #1 SMP Wed Dec 17 11:42:39 EST 2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux 2.cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.3 (Tikanga) After running all the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: monojcool
3 Replies
Arch::Tarball(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					Arch::Tarball(3pm)

NAME
Arch::Tarball - an interface to create and work with tarballs SYNOPSIS
use Arch::Tarball my $tarball = Arch::Tarball->new; my $pipe = $tarball->create( dir => '/path/to/subdir-to-pack', base_name => 'new-subdir-to-pack', pipe => 1, ); DESCRIPTION
Arch::Tarball provides an object oriented interface to work with (create, examine or extract) standard gzipped tarballs. Note: As functionality is added only when needed, a lot of features are currently not implemented. METHODS
The following functions are available: new, create, extract, list. new %opts Creates a new Arch::Tarball object. The following parameters can be set via %opts: tar The name of the tar executable. Defaults to "tar". file The filename of the Tarball. create %opts Creates a new tarball (tar.gz) from a given directory structure. create understands the following options: dir (mandatory) Specifies the base directory for the tarball. The given directory and recursively its content will be added to the tarball. The directory's basename will be used as the first and the only subdirectory in the tarball. base_name Allow the programmer to specify a different base directory name for the tarball content than the basename of dir. In this case, 'cp' process is launched to temporarily rename the last element of dir. pipe When set, create does not create a physical tarball but writes the tarballs content to a newly created pipe. The pipe is returned by the create method. Note: Currently the pipe option is mandatory. extract %opts Extracts the tarball to a given target directory, specified by dir option. If dir option is not given, a temporary directory is created that will hold the extracted dirs/files. This directory is returned. The file option specifies the tarball file name. It may be given in the constructor instead. list %opts (not implemented yet) Returns a list of files and directories in the tarball. BUGS
Most functionality is currently not implemented. If you need part of the missing functionality, please contact the authors. Patches are greatly appreciated. AUTHORS
Mikhael Goikhman (migo@homemail.com--Perl-GPL/arch-perl--devel). Enno Cramer (uebergeek@web.de--2003/arch-perl--devel). perl v5.10.1 2005-04-22 Arch::Tarball(3pm)