Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: string concatenation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers string concatenation Post 302070296 by blowtorch on Monday 3rd of April 2006 10:06:18 PM
Old 04-03-2006
Is the pattern of all the lines in the file the same as the three shown here? If yes, this is how you can do it:
Code:
# cat testfile
234A dept of education
9788 dept of commerce
8677 dept of engineering

# while read first rest; do
> echo $first:$rest
> done < testfile
234A:dept of education
9788:dept of commerce
8677:dept of engineering

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help concatenation string and variable

Hello, in my script i have this lines of code in a while cycle: .. let j=i+1 t_prod_$i = `cat myfile.csv | grep world | cut -d ";" -f$j` let i+=1 ... So if i try an echo $t_prod_$i at the end of the cycle i cannot see the right value obtained by `cat myfile.csv | grep world |... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: drain
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

String concatenation with spaces

Hi, I have a variable $ID=40 and I need to build a string like 40 40 40 40 40 40 so repeating ID 'n' times separated by spaces. Any help? Thanks Sarah (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

String Concatenation

Hi All, I need to concatenate the values in the array into a variable. Currently the code is : for (( i=1 ; i <= $minCount ; i++ )) do var="${var}""${sample_file}" done The output is : /tmp/1/tmp/2/tmp/3/tmp/4/tmp/5/tmp/6/tmp/7/tmp/8/tmp/9/tmp/10 I need a space between... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sh_kk
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

String/Variable Concatenation

Hello, Trying to concatenate the following using bourne shell: # !/bin/bash # this works in bash shell e.g. get the results I am expecting fnTmp=C$cindex.$station_0.$station_1.$station_3.$ts.tmp # # under !/bin/sh # the results are not the same Any assistance would be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

String concatenation problems

#! /bin/csh set tt=12345_UMR_BH452_3_2.txt set rr=`echo $tt | cut -d_ -f1` set rr1=welcome set ff=$rr $rr1 echo $ff why $ff returned only 12345 and not 12345welcome? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdsignature88
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

String / Variable Concatenation

Hi all, I'm trying to build a variable name automatically through a for loop for a script I'm working on, basically I want to build the variables named: $JVM_HOME0 or $JVM_HOME1 so that I can loop through some file copy/deletes and a server restart once completed. With the code below, I get this... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hydroponx
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String concatenation

Hi, I have two files. cat file.txt a b c d cat file1.txt j k l m I need the output as a:j (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: nareshkumar522
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String concatenation problem

Hi there, I'm writing a basic script where I want to make a string of 2 numeric fields from a file, which I have done, but the behavior is rather confusing. I have a file of random values such as: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 and my awk code is: BEGIN { FS = " " } { str = str $1 $2 } END {... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: HMChadwick
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Group by and string concatenation

Hi, I was trying to work on a file which had the following data format 1 hi 1 this 1 is 1 john 2 hello 3 test 3 case the expected output file is the below 1 hi, this, is, john 2 hello 3 test, case I tried using awk or while read, but I couldnt... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthikbhuvana
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with String concatenation

I have a script which is migrated from AIX to Linux & now while running it is no able to concatenate string values The string concatenation step under while loop is not displaying desired result Please find below the piece of code: while read EXT_FILE ; do EXT_FILE=$EXT_FILE.ext.sent echo... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PreetArul
7 Replies
ipptool(1)							    Apple Inc.								ipptool(1)

NAME
ipptool - perform internet printing protocol requests SYNOPSIS
ipptool [ --help ] [ --stop-after-include-error ] [ --version ] [ -4 ] [ -6 ] [ -C ] [ -E ] [ -I ] [ -L ] [ -P filename.plist ] [ -S ] [ -T seconds ] [ -V version ] [ -X ] [ -c ] [ -d name=value ] [ -f filename ] [ -h ] [ -i seconds ] [ -n repeat-count ] [ -q ] [ -t ] [ -v ] printer-uri testfile [ ... testfile ] DESCRIPTION
ipptool sends IPP requests to the specified printer-uri and tests and/or displays the results. Each named testfile defines one or more requests, including the expected response status, attributes, and values. Output is either a plain text, formatted text, CSV, or XML report on the standard output, with a non-zero exit status indicating that one or more tests have failed. The testfile format is described in ipptoolfile(5). OPTIONS
The following options are recognized by ipptool: --help Shows program help. --stop-after-include-error Tells ipptool to stop if an error occurs in an included file. Normally ipptool will continue with subsequent tests after the INCLUDE directive. --version Shows the version of ipptool being used. -4 Specifies that ipptool must connect to the printer or server using IPv4. -6 Specifies that ipptool must connect to the printer or server using IPv6. -C Specifies that requests should be sent using the HTTP/1.1 "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" header, which is required for conformance by all versions of IPP. The default is to use "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" for requests with attached files and "Content-Length:" for requests without attached files. -E Forces TLS encryption when connecting to the server using the HTTP "Upgrade" header. -I Specifies that ipptool will continue past errors. -L Specifies that requests should be sent using the HTTP/1.0 "Content-Length:" header, which is required for conformance by all versions of IPP. The default is to use "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" for requests with attached files and "Content-Length:" for requests with- out attached files. -P filename.plist Specifies that the test results should be written to the named XML (Apple plist) file in addition to the regular test report (-t). This option is incompatible with the -i (interval) and -n (repeat-count) options. -S Forces (dedicated) TLS encryption when connecting to the server. -T seconds Specifies a timeout for IPP requests in seconds. -V version Specifies the default IPP version to use: 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 2.1, or 2.2. If not specified, version 1.1 is used. -X Specifies that XML (Apple plist) output is desired instead of the plain text report. This option is incompatible with the -i (inter- val) and -n (repeat-count) options. -c Specifies that CSV (comma-separated values) output is desired instead of the plain text output. -d name=value Defines the named variable. -f filename Defines the default request filename for tests. -h Validate HTTP response headers. -i seconds Specifies that the (last) testfile should be repeated at the specified interval. This option is incompatible with the -X (XML plist output) option. -l Specifies that plain text output is desired. -n repeat-count Specifies that the (last) testfile should be repeated the specified number of times. This option is incompatible with the -X (XML plist output) option. -q Be quiet and produce no output. -t Specifies that CUPS test report output is desired instead of the plain text output. -v Specifies that all request and response attributes should be output in CUPS test mode (-t). This is the default for XML output. EXIT STATUS
The ipptool program returns 0 if all tests were successful and 1 otherwise. FILES
The following standard files are available: color.jpg create-printer-subscription.test document-a4.pdf document-a4.ps document-letter.pdf document-letter.ps get-completed-jobs.test get-jobs.test get-notifications.test get-printer-attributes.test get-subscriptions.test gray.jpg ipp-1.1.test ipp-2.0.test ipp-2.1.test ipp-2.2.test ipp-everywhere.test onepage-a4.pdf onepage-a4.ps onepage-letter.pdf onepage-letter.ps print-job.test print-job-deflate.test print-job-gzip.test testfile.jpg testfile.pcl testfile.pdf testfile.ps testfile.txt validate-job.test CONFORMING TO
The ipptool program is unique to CUPS and conforms to the Internet Printing Protocol up to version 2.2. EXAMPLES
Get a list of completed jobs for "myprinter": ipptool ipp://localhost/printers/myprinter get-completed-jobs.test Send email notifications to "user@example.com" when "myprinter" changes: ipptool -d recipient=mailto:user@example.com ipp://localhost/printers/myprinter create-printer-subscription.test SEE ALSO
ipptoolfile(5), IANA IPP Registry (http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipp-registrations), PWG Internet Printing Protocol Workgroup (http://www.pwg.org/ipp) RFC 8011 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8011), COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007-2017 by Apple Inc. 4 August 2017 CUPS ipptool(1)