Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Safe to uninstall with apt-get install? Post 302070248 by riwa on Monday 3rd of April 2006 10:26:55 AM
Old 04-03-2006
Safe to uninstall with apt-get install?

Yesterday I incidently called apt-get with an ending "-". I noticed that I got promped if I wanted to remove the file. My question is if it's safe. I've never heard of anyone doing it so I just wanted to know.

Syntax:
Code:
161659/home/riwa# apt-get install links2-
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  links2
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives.
After unpacking 3211kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 109839 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing links2 ...

/Richard

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

uninstall and install a package

Hi, on Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon). How can I : 1-install a package (exemple : compat-gcc-7.3-2.96.128.src.rpm) 2-uninstall (or delete or deinstall) a package (exemple : compat-gcc-7.3-2.96.122). Many thanks before. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Apt-get install

When I use apt-get install command, for example samba install, does that command then invokes search of entire disk to find samba packet or what? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salvor_hardin
1 Replies

3. Solaris

install and uninstall package

I'm a newcomer for Solaris. I tried to install Net::FTP package ( a tool perl ) on our sun server 5.9. We used the below command: /usr/bin/perl MakeFilePL make make install How can I uninstall this package ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anhtt
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

RPM uninstall/install

Running FC5 on a Dell desktop. When I compile a LaTex file, it goes fine but only outlines blank boxes where figs should be. When I send the figs.eps and Tex file to a friend, his compiles and imbeds the fig. in the text of the DVI output using my files without add'nl control cards. I conclude... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blann
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

apt-get install error

Hello when i am giving a command apt-get install I am getting error as below: " apt-get: error while loading shared libraries: libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6.so.3.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory " can u suggest what to do. https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
1 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

apt-get install giving error

Hello when i am giving a command apt-get install I am getting error as below: " apt-get: error while loading shared libraries: libapt-pkg-libc6.3-6.so.3.11: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory " can u suggest what to do. https://www.unix.com/images/misc/progress.gif... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pradeepreddy
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to install and uninstall apache on Red Hat Linux 5

Hi All, I installed Linus on virtual PC on my system. I want to configure apache on it. Also i want to install nagios and want to access through web broser from my system. How can I do this. Kindly provide soln its required urgently......... plsssssssssssssssss (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunray
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris 10 install and Uninstall instructions.

I want to work in solaris admin. If I install Solaris 10 in my system, will it support all solaris admin commands and admin tools? Do we need to install any tools to support or work in Solaris admin? can you please let me know the install and uninstall instructions for Solaris 10 ? Is solaris OS... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shijoe
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

debuginfo-install, how to uninstall?

I used the following command: $debuginfo-install glibc-2.12.90-17.i686 it is helpful when using gdb, but now I don't need it. How to uninstall the debuginfo packet? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vistastar
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Apt-get install --purge

Hello, i would like to know what is the use of that command apt-get install --purgeI understand the use of --purge while using with remove parameter, but i don't get it when it's about installing. Enlight me please ! Thx ---------- Post updated 09-03-16 at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Purgator
0 Replies
APT-MARK(8)								APT							       APT-MARK(8)

NAME
apt-mark - show, set and unset various settings for a package SYNOPSIS
apt-mark {-f=filename | {auto | manual} pkg... | {showauto | showmanual} [pkg...] } | {-v | --version} | {-h | --help} apt-mark {hold | unhold | install | remove | purge} pkg... | {showhold | showinstall | showremove | showpurge} [pkg...] DESCRIPTION
apt-mark can be used as a unified front-end to set various settings for a package, such as marking a package as being automatically/manually installed or changing dpkg selections such as hold, install, deinstall and purge which are respected e.g. by apt-get dselect-upgrade or aptitude. AUTOMATICALLY AND MANUALLY INSTALLED PACKAGES
When you request that a package is installed, and as a result other packages are installed to satisfy its dependencies, the dependencies are marked as being automatically installed, while the package you installed explicitly is marked as manually installed. Once an automatically installed package is no longer depended on by any manually installed package it is considered no longer needed and e.g. apt-get or aptitude will at least suggest removing them. auto auto is used to mark a package as being automatically installed, which will cause the package to be removed when no more manually installed packages depend on this package. manual manual is used to mark a package as being manually installed, which will prevent the package from being automatically removed if no other packages depend on it. showauto showauto is used to print a list of automatically installed packages with each package on a new line. All automatically installed packages will be listed if no package is given. If packages are given only those which are automatically installed will be shown. showmanual showmanual can be used in the same way as showauto except that it will print a list of manually installed packages instead. Options -f=filename, --file=filename Read/Write package stats from the filename given with the parameter filename instead of from the default location, which is extended_status in the directory defined by the Configuration Item: Dir::State. PREVENT CHANGES FOR A PACKAGE
hold hold is used to mark a package as held back, which will prevent the package from being automatically installed, upgraded or removed. unhold unhold is used to cancel a previously set hold on a package to allow all actions again. showhold showhold is used to print a list of packages on hold in the same way as for the other show commands. SCHEDULE PACKAGES FOR INSTALL, REMOVE AND PURGE Some front-ends like apt-get dselect-upgrade can be used to apply previously scheduled changes to the install state of packages. Such changes can be scheduled with the install, remove (also known as deinstall) and purge commands. Packages with a specific selection can be displayed with showinstall, showremove and showpurge respectively. More information about these so called dpkg selections can be found in dpkg(1). OPTIONS
-h, --help Show a short usage summary. -v, --version Show the program version. -c, --config-file Configuration File; Specify a configuration file to use. The program will read the default configuration file and then this configuration file. If configuration settings need to be set before the default configuration files are parsed specify a file with the APT_CONFIG environment variable. See apt.conf(5) for syntax information. -o, --option Set a Configuration Option; This will set an arbitrary configuration option. The syntax is -o Foo::Bar=bar. -o and --option can be used multiple times to set different options. FILES
/var/lib/apt/extended_states Status list of auto-installed packages. Configuration Item: Dir::State::extended_states. SEE ALSO
apt-get(8),aptitude(8),apt.conf(5) DIAGNOSTICS
apt-mark returns zero on normal operation, non-zero on error. BUGS
APT bug page[1]. If you wish to report a bug in APT, please see /usr/share/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt or the reportbug(1) command. AUTHORS
Mike O'Connor APT team NOTES
1. APT bug page http://bugs.debian.org/src:apt APT 1.6.3ubuntu0.1 25 September 2015 APT-MARK(8)